Console Wars Memories

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: Console Wars Memories

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:56 am

As a skint ST owner, Sonic the Hedgehog seemed to me the only reason to own a console. The fast scrolling platform action was like nothing else at the time. Maybe the Amiga could do it, even an STE, but no other game actually did*. If they'd made a Master System with Sonic II built-in I'd have bought it on the spot. Back to 16-bits, maybe Air Buster impressed me when it came to shoot-em-ups, but then I had an excellent conversion of R-Type II. And I was playing some cracking 3D stuff like Damocles and Simulcra. The idea of paying all that money for a plodding 2D Mario game with annoyingly overplayed inertia was laughable.

*And yes, I'm blotting Zool out of my memory for good reason**.

**I once saw the Gameboy version.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:14 am

From the 16 bit era onward, I don't remember any arguments of any kind, just a little jealousy when a mate finally made the step to a new console e.g. one of my more well off friends had a Megadrive around 6 months if not longer before anyone else had a 16 bit console or computer.

However, during the 8 bit era, I do remember some banter between friends on the school playground. It mostly involved the 'power' of your chosen format as well as it's popularity and which format had the best version of a particular game. So the sole Dragon 32 owner had a bit of a hard time! Even though I only had a Commodore C16 at the time, there was a few us so safety in numbers and all that. But a 'war'? Far from it. Just some primary school kids taking rubbish. Damn I feel old!

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:47 am

Well, my best made had an Amiga and I had an ST. Before that, he had an Amstrad and I had a Speccy. Guess who's Dad earned more? But then wasn't around a lot of the time. We didn't argue over it; though we lived about six miles apart we just went round to each other's homes to see what each machine could do.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Not been here in ages but seeing this post prompted me to post because I am honestly staggered that people are saying there was no war! :shock:

I remember the wars back then very well and still see them going on at the retro events of today.

For me it went something a bit like this:

The first battle at my school was Spectrum Vs. C64 (there was one kid with a CPC, likewise with BBC and C16, they just got laughed at)

Speccy kid "C64 has Lego graphics, 16 shades of brown and looks like a place to keep your bread"
C64 kid "Spectrum has rubbish colour or no colour, crap sound and a horrible keyboard"
Speccy kid "But I have a +2 and that has a good keyboard and great sound and I will take crisp high res monochrome over muddy blocks any day"
C64 kid "We have disk and cartridge games that load much quicker than yours . . . . "

It would go on like that for the whole of lunchtime but we still go around each other's houses to play them after school (and make a few sly digs too :wink: )

Then we had ST Vs. Amiga and at my school there was only 2 kids with an Amiga, one of which was REALLY vocal, the rest of us got an ST, but it was still a big battle. It usually went a bit like this.

ST kid "The ST is £100 cheaper than the Amiga and has cheaper games"
Amiga kid "But the Amiga has all the custom chips which make the games better, that is why they cost more"
ST kid "But did you see the ST on Top of the Pops? All the best groups use them and not Amigas"
Amiga kid "Did you know Babylon 5 was made on an Amiga though?"

And same as before this would go on all lunchtime only to go round each others and play on them after school.

Sega Vs. Nintendo didn't happen around my way until the 16-bit generation, there wasn't a single kid with an NES at my school, the only person I knew with one was my next door neighbour, and he had moved back to England from America during this time so that made sense. There was loads of kids with Master Systems though and 2 kids with a 7800 and a few of us with a 2600 (myself included, although I really wanted the 7800 as that's what my best mate had), there wasn't really any battle there though, we just loved the fact we could loads carts instead of tapes! The only real exposure we had to the NES, apart from magazines, was playing the odd game in Boots, but we were never impressed and couldn't believe the price of the carts.

The next big war at my school was actually handhelds, they took off big time and pretty much everyone was getting one. It was a pretty even split between Game Boy, Game Gear and Lynx owners too, which made it even more interesting. Added to this we all used to take our handhelds into school to play on break, so we could actually compare them directly!

Those discussions usually went a bit like this:

GB kid "I hope you guys have spare batteries today, I have been using the same batteries for 3 days!"
GG & Lynx kids "We would rather have colour and a screen we can actually see than your horrible monochrome mess"
Lynx kid "Well unlike the GG, our screen doesn't blur at all, and it's technically superior"
GG kid "Well you can't play Sonic on the Lynx"
GB kid "Yeah but I can play Mario, which is better than Sonic anyway!"

And it would continue something that for a long time after.

When we started to buy 16-bit consoles the Mega Drive took a huge early lead and I even had a friend with an import PC Engine too (which we all thought was incredible, especially the size of it). Later on a few people got a SNES but they were still heavily outnumbered by the Sega brigade (but I guess this makes sense when you see that the MD outsold the SNES by 2:1 in the UK).

The 16-bit console arguments usually went a bit like this:

MD kid "Have you seen Sonic and Streets of Rage? Those games are amazing and only on Sega consoles"
SNES kid "Mario is better than that and we have Final Fight!"
MD kid "But Final Fight is only one player and Mario is SOOOOOOO slow"
SNES kid "You don't have mode 7 though, so the MD can't do F-Zero"

And it would go back and forth like that all day until the end of school when, you guessed it, we went round each others houses to play on them.

The computer and consoles wars were very much alive in Harpenden, Hertfordshire I can tell you!

It's still the handheld wars I have the best memories of though because it was all so direct and in your face, leaving little room to argue!

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:36 pm

^^^ If this is the definition of a console "war" then I suppose it did happen.
Some of it anyway.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
stvd wrote:
David wrote:For me the "console wars" was just something in the heads of magazine staff at the time.
And still is to this day, it seems.
You'll be telling me there weren't fights between Amiga and ST and Spectrum and C64 owners next...
In my experience (which I think is what your asking for), no. There wasn't.
We played on each other's systems. Each one had their own strengths.
Nobody, EVER, brought up technical specs, modes, or any other B'S. We just played games.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Being satisfied that the C64 was better than both Master System and NES, and that the Amiga was better than both Megadrive and SNES :wink:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:20 pm

everybody I knew had the mighty Amiga, just a few unfortunate souls stuck with the massively inferior ST.

when a few did start buying the consoles it was clear the SNES was the better machine, little wonder it dragged the megadrive round like a dirty rag and crushed it to the tune of over 20m extra worldwide sales.

not sure if you would call it a "war", more of an annihilation.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Down here in NZ, it was for the most part Sega, Sega, Sega. So there was no battle! :lol: We did read about it in mags though of course, and at that stage we were a bit older than the schoolyard battles so probably was more prominent in younger gamers. My era of 'console wars' was Atari VCS/Intellivision of course, with a smattering of Oydssey 2 etc. And even then as a kid not getting too wound up about things, just appreciated games for games sake...everyone at the time generally wanted a VCS for the wealth of the Library size and official games.

The main thing I remember about the Sega/Nintendo wars was the debates over the fighting games. SNES had an awesome SFII, Megadrive had the MKII with all the gore and moves! And of course Mario vs Sonic is well documented, and covered in a brilliant book by Blake Harris I think it is, covering the Sega vs Nintendo battle. Ironically called, 'Console Wars!'
Last edited by kiwimike on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I clearly don't mean fistfights.
It's easy to forget that most of us where in our late teens/early twenties when the two systems where in their prime so yes, we'd have missed some of it. There's a lot of younger gamers at work though and it was definetly a big deal to them when they were in school, just like the 8-bit ones were a big deal to us.
That's very true- and much of the 'wars'- or debate if people are pedantic- during any era of gaming, was based around jealousy of exclusive titles considering most invest in a specific machine...and of course the companies themselves could base advertising campaigns around those specifics. 'Sega does what Nintendon't'...'Only on Atari VCS can you play the big Arcade hits like Asteroids, Pac Man', and Intellivision of course had that TV advert showing Star Strike up against a VCS game, showing how 'flat' the VCS games were...So a lot of the debates were fuelled by advertisements from their respective companies as well.
Last edited by kiwimike on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Where I live, the ZX vs C=64 war was real and it came down to actual fights over what's better, though I'm from the generation that didn't really witness it. The Speccy was more popular though, since it was cheaper and it was easier to pirate games for it (they had radio broadcasts with weird loading voices :wink: ). But the system everyone really wanted was the Amiga, which was seen as the prestige system, kind of "Amiga master race" thing for the lucky few who had it. The consoles had no presence back then, sans for maybe the Atari 2600 and a few import Master Systems and Nintendos. Going into the 90s, the Sega vs Nintendo war was inexistent, but Sega was more popular when it came to home consoles while Nintendo's Game Boy was the most popular portable system. Instead of the NES, which barely anyone had, we had Famiclones, Asian hardware clones of the NES that usually looked like the Famicom or some other weird shape (some looked like SNES). They were selling them in super markets and games for them too and they were quite popular. But the most popular game system was the PC because parents would rather buy their kids a PC which was useful for school and other things rather than just playing games. So over here there's a large bias in favour of the PC and it remains so till today. The consoles never were as popular gaming choice, although the PS2 and Xbox 360 managed to get some foothold. It's mostly the "enthusiast niche" that buys consoles, i.e. people who like console-specific games or parents for their little kids (these days they rather just buy them a phone). Hence, the gaming culture here is quite different from the typical Western one, where consoles are seen as the main-stream choice for gaming. But this could be said for many countries where consoles aren't as popular, i.e. Russia, China, Korea, Brazil, etc. I was actually one of the bigger "consolers" when I was younger, most of my peers did PC gaming. :wink:

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:46 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:everybody I knew had the mighty Amiga, just a few unfortunate souls stuck with the massively inferior ST.

when a few did start buying the consoles it was clear the SNES was the better machine, little wonder it dragged the megadrive round like a dirty rag and crushed it to the tune of over 20m extra worldwide sales.

Not really. Nintendo dominated with the SNES in Japan for sure, but outside Japan? Not so clear cut at all. In the US the SNES edged it (only overtaking the MD after Sega announced it was working on the Saturn which lead to a significant sales slow down for the "Genesis"), and in Europe, the MD was the clear winner.

So your statement is accurate, but only with conditions attached.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

David

Post by David » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:47 am

I'm well jealous of all these places were kids were playing handheld on the playground and having jolly banter

If you whipped a handheld out in my school then two minutes later you would have a burst mouth and no handheld :cry:

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:13 am

David wrote:I'm well jealous of all these places were kids were playing handheld on the playground and having jolly banter

If you whipped a handheld out in my school then two minutes later you would have a burst mouth and no handheld :cry:
Agreed. I wouldn't have dared to take my Game Gear to school although I was stupid enough to get burned on a game swap once.

Someone did bring a Barcode Battler on a school trip once, though :lol: .

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:30 am

learnedrobb wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:everybody I knew had the mighty Amiga, just a few unfortunate souls stuck with the massively inferior ST.

Not really. Nintendo dominated with the SNES in Japan for sure, but outside Japan? Not so clear cut at all. In the US the SNES edged it (only overtaking the MD after Sega announced it was working on the Saturn which lead to a significant sales slow down for the "Genesis"), and in Europe, the MD was the clear winner.

So your statement is accurate, but only with conditions attached.
Wow, I only saw HD''s post because you quoted it but I see nothing has changed round here, he's still quoting all kinds of wrong in some sort of pathetic mission to wind people up. The only way I could get his ridiculous claim to even slighty match up was if I took the sales figure from Wikipedia that doesn't include any South American sales (where the MD was huge) or any sales of other licenced versions (Genesis 3, Nomad, AtGames etc.). It's also interesting to note that apparently Nintendo were caught lying about SNES sales figures numerous times and this is verified in books like Game Over where actual Nintendo employees are quoted as saying that inflating figures at Ninty was common practice. Overall I would guess the 2 consoles were extremely close sales wise.