Console Wars Memories

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Console Wars Memories

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:05 pm

I was 18 when both consoles were out and it was obvious that you were in one camp or enough for the same reason why you were either c64 or spectrum - very few people could afford both systems. Every single magazine cared about their console, just like crash and zap before them and everyone was invested in their choice, whether it was on purpose or because it was what they ended up with due to it being a present. Console wars still go on today and there's no escaping it. You might have ignored it, it may have passed you by, but it was definitely a thing and it's bizarre to claim it never happened.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:14 pm

I skipped these console wars and stuck with superior computers. (ok, superior some of the time :lol: )
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:17 am

The near constant which machine is better debates between me and my friends. We had a pretty even 50/50 split between the MD and SNES. We'd even loan each others systems to play games that the others didn't have. Good times.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:44 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I was 18 when both consoles were out and it was obvious that you were in one camp or enough for the same reason why you were either c64 or spectrum - very few people could afford both systems. Every single magazine cared about their console, just like crash and zap before them and everyone was invested in their choice, whether it was on purpose or because it was what they ended up with due to it being a present. Console wars still go on today and there's no escaping it. You might have ignored it, it may have passed you by, but it was definitely a thing and it's bizarre to claim it never happened.
It never happened in the way the nostalgics often describe. All that guff about fights in the playground and constant arguing over which system was best, it just wasn't the way it was. The only kids who took any mild flak were the unlucky few who got saddled with an Oric or Dragon 32 or other less mainstream machines. The other myth of the old speccy vs 64 wars is that everybody was involved and it was some sort of major deal. It wasn't. Overall, the kids into videogames were relatively small in number. There was never a scenario of large groups forming into to gangs to defend their respective platforms. The magazines existed in a bubble where games actually mattered and their fanboy output reflected that. For most of us, games were just a new and exciting thing that was getting better and better and it was ALL good. The same is true of the SNES and MD era. Video gaming just wasn't mainstream enough for such argumentative rubbish to come to the fore. I had a small squad of friends who were keen on games and we had a mix of consoles. The rest truly didn't give a monkeys about the whole thing because it was seen as kiddy geek stuff. Generally, we played on each others consoles and if there was any platform fanboy stuff going on it was righteously mocked.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:45 am

The Beans wrote:It never happened in the way the nostalgics often describe. All that guff about fights in the playground and constant arguing over which system was best, it just wasn't the way it was. The only kids who took any mild flak were the unlucky few who got saddled with an Oric or Dragon 32 or other less mainstream machines. The other myth of the old speccy vs 64 wars is that everybody was involved and it was some sort of major deal. It wasn't. Overall, the kids into videogames were relatively small in number. There was never a scenario of large groups forming into to gangs to defend their respective platforms. The magazines existed in a bubble where games actually mattered and their fanboy output reflected that. For most of us, games were just a new and exciting thing that was getting better and better and it was ALL good. The same is true of the SNES and MD era. Video gaming just wasn't mainstream enough for such argumentative rubbish to come to the fore. I had a small squad of friends who were keen on games and we had a mix of consoles. The rest truly didn't give a monkeys about the whole thing because it was seen as kiddy geek stuff. Generally, we played on each others consoles and if there was any platform fanboy stuff going on it was righteously mocked.
^ most of this. We had Speccy vs C64 fights, definitely though. Everyone upgraded to an Amiga though from the 8-bits, except me who stayed with the C64, so there were no fights there. And I've never heard nor seen about any rivalry in person between Nintendo and Sega owners, the only place I encountered it was reading the magazines, which as Beans says, pervaded this mystical battle between both companies. It DID occur, because speaking to American friends of mine, they related various stories about arguments between Genesis (Mega Drive) and SNES owners from the early 90s, and then it was Nintendo vs Sony once the PS1 came out. But I don't think any of that happened here in the UK. Practically everyone I knew had a Nintendo of some sort, but I still happily played on the odd Mega Drive, and then a fair few PS1s when everyone adopted that instead, bar me (I went with the N64!).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:13 am

I do recall the fuss and hype over which machine was best out of the SNES or Megadrive in the early 1990s. It wasn't outrageous, but it certainly existed where arguments occurred in playgrounds/classrooms/home over which was superior specs and games wise. I was firmly in the SNES camp, although I think I may have been a Sega supporter before I got a SNES, as I had some "loyalty" by owning a Game Gear. Most of my mates were SNES or Amiga owners, so exposure to the Megadrive was quite limited, aside from what was covered in multiformat magazines.

Despite all this, I found Official Nintendo Magazines loyalty and bias to be rather embarrassing and cringeworthy in the 5th generation with the N64. It was beyond juvenile, referring to the Playstation and Saturn as the "Greystation" and "Sadturn" and giving even crap N64 games 80%+ in reviews. I can't remember it being like this in the 4th generation, but maybe because I was mainly reading Super Play Magazine at that time, which seemed to be edited by professionals who weren't petty or bitter children and focused on SNES games rather than console wars.

David

Post by David » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 am

Did people actually have proper fights over this? !

I find that hilarious :lol:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:22 am

I can't remember any specific physical fights breaking out down to this, but it wouldn't surprise me given how fights would break out for equally as absurd and trivial reasons.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:33 am

I clearly don't mean fistfights.
It's easy to forget that most of us where in our late teens/early twenties when the two systems where in their prime so yes, we'd have missed some of it. There's a lot of younger gamers at work though and it was definetly a big deal to them when they were in school, just like the 8-bit ones were a big deal to us.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:36 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I clearly don't mean fistfights.
Oh I dunno...I can imagine a few fistfights breaking out on here at times over the most insignificant things, including about gaming!

Human beings, at whatever age, can be angry volatile little gits :P

David

Post by David » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:39 am

I was only about 7 or 8 when I had a spectrum so to be honest I never really knew anything about any competing computers, just that I had a spectrum and so did all my pals

Moving on to the NES, I only ever knew 1 single person who has a master system instead so again it wasn't an issue

And as mentioned for the md and snes era we all had a fair mix between us but would chop and change constantly so we're always able to play the big games on each machine without much fuss.

The only time I think were there was a definite favouritism towards one console was when sensible soccer was released.

The snes one didn't have "star players" like the md one and the shooting was ridiculous (score from halfway line almost whenever you wanted) and the mega drive one allowed you to edit player names so we could set our own wee leagues up.

Also the snes one was virtually impossible to score a free kick.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:35 am

I was moving from A-Levels to Uni at the time, and sat it out with a computer instead of a console. But I remember some bizarre saturation TV advertising from SEGA and next to nothing from Nintendo. The impression I got was that the SNES was for the connoisseur of a particular type of slower-paced Japanese gaming whereas the MegaDrive was all about arcade-style action games.

The arguments though were very much about individual games rather than the sytems capabilities, which is what previous 'Computer Wars' hinged on. That may have been because the high price of cartridges meant you were more likely to choose a console based on one particular game you wanted to play, but also down to the masses they were appealing to not really understanding technical specifications. Indeed, the MegaDrive adverts were just full of the sort of made-up pseudo-technical drivel one expects from a skincare advert.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:19 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I clearly don't mean fistfights.
It's easy to forget that most of us where in our late teens/early twenties when the two systems where in their prime so yes, we'd have missed some of it. There's a lot of younger gamers at work though and it was definetly a big deal to them when they were in school, just like the 8-bit ones were a big deal to us.
Speak for yourself Darran! :lol: i was 9 when i got my Megadrive in 1994 and the debates definitely happened. Although with kids it barely got above "mines better nyah nyah"

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:24 am

joefish wrote:I was moving from A-Levels to Uni at the time, and sat it out with a computer instead of a console. But I remember some bizarre saturation TV advertising from SEGA and next to nothing from Nintendo. The impression I got was that the SNES was for the connoisseur of a particular type of slower-paced Japanese gaming whereas the MegaDrive was all about arcade-style action games.
Nintendo television advertising was quite limited, but I do remember the Rik Mayall adverts that Ninty put out in the early 90s.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:49 am

For me there was no snes v megadrive arguments. Only what I read in magazines back in the day.

If there was any rivalry it was with amiga owners trying to put down my megadrive. Yes certain versions of games like speedball etc... were better on the amiga. But when it came to the arcade and action games I wanted to play there was only the one choice for me.

I did love the amiga and my best friend who was also my next door neighbour had one so I got plenty of chance to play on one and not feel the need to get into crazy fights over who's system is best.