Console Wars Memories

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Console Wars Memories

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Tbh none of my mates had any arguments. I had an Amiga, most other people I knew had SNES. In fact I don't know anyone who owned a MD back then.

For me MD offered nothing that I couldn't get on Amiga - ok some games were better on the console, but stuff that I was interested in like Powermonger, Sensi, Kick Off, Hunter, Player Manager, Stunt Car Racer, Championship Manager, Moonstone,Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island etc was either vastly better than the console or simply wasn't available. SNES on the other hand was a different proposition; we had nothing like Super Mario World, Pilot Wings, Legend of Zelda and F Zero, so this was the console to own at the same time as keeping the 'miggy.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 pm

I didn't notice it. Almost everyone I knew who played games had an Amiga.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 pm

For me the "console wars" was just something in the heads of magazine staff at the time.

We all used to sell or trade for the opposite consoles when we fancied a change

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 pm

David wrote:For me the "console wars" was just something in the heads of magazine staff at the time.
And still is to this day, it seems.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:11 pm

David wrote:
For me the "console wars" was just something in the heads of magazine staff at the time.

I second that, online and print love talking about the 'war' because it generates clicks / sales.So when I was a kid you had a C64 or a 48k and there was some back and forth in the playground about which one was better. The same crap that counties to this day. Later we all had Amigas, then after the Amiga we all moved on to PC's. As for consoles no one I knew had a NES, as for the 16bit stuff everyone had Mega Drives again no one I knew had a SNES. This 'console wars' was only something we saw on TV or read about in magazines. No one I knew was getting into fights about who was better Sonic or Mairo
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:15 am

I was the odd one out in my school, my parents bought me an Amiga as they thought it was "educational". I missed out on my own copy of Sonic or Mario, but I did get to enjoy Monkey Island, The Chaos Engine, Benefactor and countless other classics so it all worked out.

And it DID turn out to be educational. I learned that a console wasn't the be all and end all.

As for the Sega vs Nintendo war, it was very one sided where I lived. I'm not sure how it ended up this way but no one in my class had a Snes. Sega was very much the dominant console. I guess the influence of your peers swayed what you wanted. A lot of people had Gameboys too, but no one had jumped on board the Nintendo ship.

First time I played a Snes was at my cousin's. I played Mario World and quickly realised it was a much better game than Sonic. I remember seeing Donkey Kong Country in person and being blown away, thinking it couldn't possibly get better than this.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:12 am

There was definitely a SNES/Mega Drive divide at my primary school, me going with the former. We'd go through magazines and find stats like number of colours on screen or processor power that "proved" one was better. The Mega Drive crew scored a big victory when Mortal Kombat came out, although there were a few kids who apparently could get the gore cheat to work on the SNES, but SF2 evened it up. Another memory was magazines such as Mean Machines used to print pictures of Mario and Sonic decapitating eachother. Even today it still seems slightly odd to me seeing Sonic on a Nintendo console.

It was all good natured though, and seemed a lot more innocent. I dread to think what it would have been like if we'd had access to internet comments sections.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:24 am

The Console Wars rubbish didn't exist for me until the internet came along and my exposure to insecure pedants was greatly increased.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:23 am

There were definitely Sega V Nintendo debates in my school playground. First it was Master System Vs NES, then Megadrive Vs SNES. I had none of these systems so had no particular allegiance. As an 11 year old when the SNES arrived to challenge the Megadrive, both systems were just a pipedream for me - infinitely more advanced than my Gameboy, so I was a fan of both.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 am

The Beans wrote:The Console Wars rubbish didn't exist for me until the internet came along and my exposure to insecure pedants was greatly increased.
Think the internet has kicked it off among those that didnt grow up with the systems

Where the bloody hell did all these Nintendo fanboys come from?

David

Post by David » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:29 am

Well this will be a short feature :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:43 pm

stvd wrote:
David wrote:For me the "console wars" was just something in the heads of magazine staff at the time.
You'll be telling me there weren't fights between Amiga and ST and Spectrum and C64 owners next...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:04 pm

DPrinny wrote:
The Beans wrote:The Console Wars rubbish didn't exist for me until the internet came along and my exposure to insecure pedants was greatly increased.
Think the internet has kicked it off among those that didnt grow up with the systems

Where the bloody hell did all these Nintendo fanboys come from?

They definitely existed when I was growing up. But in a pre internet age it would have been very insular, so we could only go off what our friends and classmates were into.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
stvd wrote:
You'll be telling me there weren't fights between Amiga and ST and Spectrum and C64 owners next...
Don't take that tone with us! Slander! Lies!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:30 pm

Maybe I was just a bit too old for "wars". I had a SNES and I liked the mega drive, I just couldn't afford both, as I was buying my first house.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.