Educate me on buying an Amiga

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

David

Educate me on buying an Amiga

Post by David » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:23 am

So as per other thread I really wanted a cd32 but the prices are ridiculous

What's the best version of a proper Amiga to get?

Never had one before so some silly questions please:

Do they connect to a TV or to a monitor like a pc?

Is it worth still buying proper floppy disk games or are most of them likely to be not working nowadays?

I saw one for sale with a "gotek drive" is this just like a flash drive for roms?

c0nfu53d

Re: Educate me on buying an Amiga

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 am

A gotek drive is a USB port which plugs into the Amigas floppy drive so yes id imagine you could run ROMs from it.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 am

Bit of a minefield tbh.

An A500 is probably the most compatible with the largest number of games. But that means you won't be able to play any of the AGA games (one's that were enhanced over the standard games).

But buying an A1200 (or an A600) means there will be some backwards compatibility issues where a moderate amount of game might not work.

Not sure why anyone would want to buy a CD32 tbh. Unless they were specifically interested in that hardware or a product released for it. The CD32 has even more backwards compatibility issues if memory serves?

So there's your decision: A500 but no AGA games or A1200/A600 with some backwards compatibility issues?

Personally, I play all my Amiga games on emulator as that way, I get pretty much 99% compatibility and the emu is of a very high quality.

But if I had to choose - I'd go A500 with at least a 1Mb expansion myself.

I'm happy for others to tell me I'm wrong there. :)

Edit: Just for clarity - as someone pointed out below, the A600 is NOT AGA. :)
Last edited by Gigifusc on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

David

Post by David » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:34 am

Cheers it's all a bit of a kerfuffle isn't it

I want a cd32 as I have great memories of owning one back in the early 90s. I know it's not the best and there are better ways of playing amiga games but it's all about the nostalgia

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:24 am

Didn't know the A600 was an AGA. Personally I'd probably go for that as it's a bit smaller. But I notice it's quite a bit more expensive second-hand.

Either way, be prepared for shockingly long load times for a disk-based system, and a stupid round of guess-the-button (SPACE, F1, left-mouse-button, right-mouse-button?) to get a game to load or start.

The Gotek drive replaces the internal floppy drive and lets you plug in a USB key drive with snapshots of Amiga disks on it. You press the button on the drive to select one, then it emulates having that disk in the drive. On the basic model you can't save to the virtual disk, but there are Amiga-specific updates for its firmware that I've never bothered to look into so it might be viable.

I gather it's fairly easy to fit a CF-Card as an internal hard drive, but I think it's only the A600 / A1200 that has the appropriate IDE connector on the motherboard.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:57 am

You can pick up a CD32 for £100 on ebay, sure others are going higher like most systems, bide your time over a 2 week period and you should have no worries getting one for that price.

The A600 is not AGA, i think you just got confused with what he said about compatibility issues with an A600 or A1200, mostly really old games tbh.

Depends on what you have planned with the Amiga, if its just games than a CD32 should suffice on most stuff, though lack of saving will hinder adventure games, of course you can get the disk drive add on if needs be, you can get some CD32 stuff from http://cd32covers.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspot.co.uk/ which will cater for most Amiga game needs on the CD32.

If its games and other stuff, gfx, music and you want to enchance the machine, more memory etc than a A1200 is the machine to go for.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:54 am

You can't really go wrong with the A500. They're the most common model, so easily picked up, and will run pretty much all games from the Amiga's heydey; just try to find one that's had the RAM upgraded to 1MB or more. There are just a handful of good games, IMO, that you really need an AGA machine for, but if one of those takes your fancy, the A1200 is your best bet; they're not ridiculously rare but will command a higher price than an A500 in otherwise similar condition.

I wouldn't bother with the A600. It was a stopgap machine that's not really any more capable than the A500 and has a bunch of compatibility issues, not least is the lack of a numeric pad on the keyboard which a lot of the more serious games will expect to be there.

The A1000, A2000, A3000 and A4000 and their variations are the professional models that people would have bought back in the day because they wanted to do something serious with the machine. They're accordingly rarer and higher priced, but not really any better for playing games.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:34 pm

I would go with the A1200, I have a couple with CF cards in them.
The cards have the different kickstart roms on them so I've yet to find a game I can't play.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:24 pm

I've been happy enough with an A600. I've yet to come across a single program that requires a numeric keypad and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue for all the Amiga fanboys queueing up for the new Vampire upgrade.

The Amiga has three different chipsets:

Original Chip Set (OCS) - this is the original A500 and the most compatible

Enhanced Chip Set (ECS) - you'll find this chipset in the A500+ and A600. There are no discernible benefits and there are compatibility issues with some OCS games. The compatibility problem can be remedied with a program called ReloKick that simulates a KickStart 1.3 environment.

Advanced Graphics Architecture (AGA) - this is what you'll find in the A1200 and will allow you to play AGA games. The A1200 is what the Amiga master-racers go for but IMO the AGA library is over-rated and a lot of games are more or less the same as the OCS/ECS counterparts with a few extra bells and whistles.

If you want to do things on a budget and want to stick with original disk games, I would go for an A500+ as it's the least fashionable system. The A600 has become a lot more in demand since a certain FPGA accelerator with 128MB RAM and a processor running at 100Mhz became available.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:46 pm

An A1200 (AGA), with a ram expansion (at least 4mb) and an internal hard disk (a CF card instead of a 2,5" drive is better) is the perfect setup for me. You load the games via Whdload, (almost) zero loading times, full compatibility.
The only downside is that it's a setup that costs around 350€.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:21 am

My Amiga 500 has been up in the loft for a while. I think WinUAE has come such a long way in recent years that its hard to justify taking up space in living rooms with a physical amiga, let alone buying a machine. There are plenty of other consoles and systems worth owning where emulation doesn't really cut the mustard, but I don't think the Amiga is one of them anymore (and I absolutely love the Amiga).

The setup that Hiro mentions above sounds appealing, but not sure personally if its 350 notes worthwhile.

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:12 am

Thanks for all the great info but been thinking about this and decided that it is just a cd32 I want so think I will just hang out for that.

Once I get bored of GTAV I can see me doing something stupid like selling my xb1 to fund it :?

Actually just found out SWOS has been converted to cd32 so that seals the deal. And there's a release called "dizzy the big 6" that looks pretty cool

Now if anyone on here happens to have a cd32 they are looking to offload.......

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:18 pm

If you liked the CD32 , then buy that plus your favourite games. Any other 'miggy games are best played via emulator due to the various compatibility issues between machines.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 pm

So speaking as a massive Amiga fan who owns multiple machines and god know how many disks.
The Cd32 is a fine machine, however its not the best Amiga. The controller is bad and breaks very easily (they are not cheap, even 3rd party ones). You can add a floppy drive on to the CD32 this means you can play games from floppy. However its not cheap.

Hirso's setup is nice (I have one similar) however the price might be an issue.

Emulation has come a long way in the last few years however its not yet 100% and you will miss out on the 'real Amiga' experience

The A500 / A500+ is a nice machine however they take up a lot of space.

So what I would do is get an A600 and a Gotek drive. The Gotek can now be fitted internally or externally. You will still be playing real Amiga games on a real Amiga just missing out on all the disk swapping crap. Trust me when a game is 10 disks long swapping them out becomes a real pain real fast.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:42 pm

English Invader wrote:I've been happy enough with an A600. I've yet to come across a single program that requires a numeric keypad and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue for all the Amiga fanboys queueing up for the new Vampire upgrade.
It's mostly flight simulators and strategy games that need the numeric pad. If you're just wanting it to play arcade games it's unlikely to be an issue, but if you're a bit of a Microprose nut like me, definitely give the 600 a miss.