Is my PS3 on its way out?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

Is my PS3 on its way out?

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi all,

Recently my PS3 slim 120G has had the odd error poping up of late and a disk check has been run on occasion but no fault found. However the problems have been with the install of Medal of Honor Front line via the Medal of Honor tier 1 edition disc. It will install so far then crash due to an unknown error. You can then see what has been installed so far on the XMB as corrupted data. Also the tier 1 save file has now become unreadable.

So, is my HD on the fritz or is it something more........terminal?

Also would a fomat of the HD be worth a try? I would have tried this already but Ive got several games via download and various game saves on there. I have all ready removed any software, games saves and so on that I can live without and was hoping there would be some kind of system check on the PS3 but I can't seem to find it.

Last question (sorry!) If it does die on me or requires a replacement, can I then re-download the previously purchased games?

Thanks for your help.

Aled.

HisNHer_LP

Re: Is my PS3 on its way out?

Post by HisNHer_LP » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:20 pm

We had something similar to this and I think it was something as simple as changing the hd drive.

Your downloads are linked to your account and your PS3 (I think you can have 2 or 4 accounts linked to your downloads)

You can deactivate your PS3 on the system itself or the Sony website, allowing you to download games again if you already have linked too many systems.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:02 am

I've had similar problems with the HD on my PS3. I reformatted the disk, thinking that might fix the problem, and restored a previous backup. It seemed okay for about 6 months, but a few weeks ago it failed. I put another HD in and restored my latest backup, and it's been fine ever since.

You could do it without a backup, but it means you'll have to re-download everything, and unless you have PS+ and cloud saves, you'll lose some saves (the locked ones, that should be illegal IMO).

If you want to do a backup, delete as much off it as you can, as it takes all day to backup my 160Gb drive even when not full.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:18 am

Did you nag it the other night and now its flat out told you "im going to the pub" because thats a sure sign its on its way out!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:05 am

Thanks everyone for your help, I think its now resolved but not sure for how long. If its starts playing up again then I'll look at a HD replacment.

Firstly I accessed the PS3 Recovery menu and ran option 4 (Rebuild Database) Bar losing the custom XMB I had (Pac-man!) everything else seems present and correct.

Secondly I gave the disc a clean (doh!) as it had some smudges I missed. Job done!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:09 am

RetroMartin wrote:Did you nag it the other night and now its flat out told you "im going to the pub" because thats a sure sign its on its way out!
This sounds very similar to my tactics to going to the pub every Friday evening. You'd think after 5 years my missus may have cottoned on to this fact :D

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:03 pm

TheDude18 wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:Did you nag it the other night and now its flat out told you "im going to the pub" because thats a sure sign its on its way out!
This sounds very similar to my tactics to going to the pub every Friday evening. You'd think after 5 years my missus may have cottoned on to this fact :D
Do you change pubs? That could confuse her!

PSN username - MartinPhantom