Cex now selling Super Nes stuff

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Cex now selling Super Nes stuff

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48 pm

rocky1980 wrote:Saw this in my local CEX the other day.
Super Mario World 2 Yoshis Island

The label did say 'MINT' £95

Worst thing is...I guarantee that somebody bought it or will buy it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 am

I'm always staggered at how much people will pay for inferior versions of classic games. PAL SNES is some of the worst around when it comes to poor optimisation.
On the other hand CEX gave me £101 cash for my battered boxed copy of Samba De Amigo, so I was quite happy about that.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Somewhat related, how come COD Black Ops 2 on 360 has skyrocketed to £28 used? I know it was added to backwards compatibility but that was about 2 months ago....

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:26 pm

P/ex a few loose SNES carts. Admittedly they included Zelda, Mario Kart and ROTJ but £150 store credit for a few loose carts seems pretty cool. They had a few loose SMW carts at £20+ noone was buying. This is a bubble that will soon burst. And boxed just means a box in any condition, instructions not required.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Local cex has World Warrior for £30

They offered me £73 for my Bravely Default deluxe edition with Agnes figure
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 pm

I managed to get Ghostbusters for the Wii out of the CEX in Glasgow. Since it was the last story written by Dan Akroyd & Harold Ramis, I guess you could say that it was the last "canon" story in the Ghostbusters franchise - not counting reboots.
Where logic won't work, I will

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:02 am

I can remember when Game were selling Brand New copies of F-Zero for a fiver. That was when no one really cared about SNES anymore, probably just after the launch of N64.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:56 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:02 am
I can remember when Game were selling Brand New copies of F-Zero for a fiver. That was when no one really cared about SNES anymore, probably just after the launch of N64.
Thats normal, before the internet the last gen machines where no longer sort after so the prices got slashed on all games as having tons of games nobody was buying looks bad

Now CEX have tons of over priced retro games that nobody is buying
Ok the odd deal is to be had, but its rare

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:15 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:02 am
Most of my cartridge games were bought for under £2 each from Gamestation. 50-99p was a common price for a loose cart, now it seems more like £50-99.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Now I get some people need cash right away and probably can't use ebay for whatever reason.....but was it really worth trading in Game&Watch handhelds for probably a fraction of what you could of gotten elsewhere?
WP_20180824_001.jpg
WP_20180824_001.jpg (407.27 KiB) Viewed 338 times
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 am
I'm always staggered at how much people will pay for inferior versions of classic games. PAL SNES is some of the worst around when it comes to poor optimisation.
Nothing quite compares with the PAL Megadrive version of Sonic the Hedgehog though!

Are NTSC SNES games cheaper than PAL SNES games? If so, then its a fair point. I quite like PAL unoptimised SNES games for the simple reason my SNES has the 50/60hz switch, which means they'll run perfectly at 60hz. Its the PAL optimised buggers that cause glitching when you ramp the speed up (and even optimised at 50hz, they don't tend to be as good as their NTSC versions anyway). :|

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:37 am

Gold GOLD always make believe in your sun damaged cart

If the label wasnt so crap it would look ironic

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 am
Nothing quite compares with the PAL Megadrive version of Sonic the Hedgehog though!
You mean the proper one, and not that weird foreign one that plays the music too fast and everything feels a bit off with when you play?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 am
Sephiroth81 wrote:
You mean the proper one, and not that weird foreign one that plays the music too fast and everything feels a bit off with when you play?
:mrgreen: Good jokes. My first Sonic experience was actually the Game Gear version, which was obviously a totally different game, but unaffected by the whole horses**t PAL downgrade, being the portable version. Never played Sonic MD till later on emulators, which of course would by default play at 60hz unless selected otherwise.

But yea, I see your point in that if you were raised with PAL speeds and the chunkier borders and never read import magazines to see how much better life was outside the UK (and all PAL regions), then ignorance was bliss. I genuinely had no issue with Street Fighter 2 on the PAL SNES at the time of its release, but I certainly do now!

davyK

Post by davyK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:

Are NTSC SNES games cheaper than PAL SNES games? If so, then its a fair point. I quite like PAL unoptimised SNES games for the simple reason my SNES has the 50/60hz switch, which means they'll run perfectly at 60hz. Its the PAL optimised buggers that cause glitching when you ramp the speed up (and even optimised at 50hz, they don't tend to be as good as their NTSC versions anyway). :|
This. Most 3rd party SNES games run fine at 60Hz as they weren't optimised. While most PAL Nintendo SNES games glitch at 60Hz some don't - my copy of Yoshi's Island runs fine at 60Hz for example. Although I would need to compare it to an NTSC copy to be totally sure.

I've gradually traded my PAL 1st party SNES games for NTSC versions - Pilotwings, F-Zero, SMK, All Stars etc - swapped PAL for NTSC. and they are usually the cheaper games. Have still to swap my CIB copy of SMW though.

Getting a modded Megadrive and getting an RGB SCART connection was probably the biggest surprise I have ever experienced. The PAL MD was a crippled mess - Sonic 1 was a perfect example with its squashed, fuzzy , treacle slow display replaced with a gorgeously crisp and vibrant one. It felt like getting a brand new console.