Best "rolling ball" game(s)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Best "rolling ball" game(s)

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:24 pm

I think we already had a similar thread, but I can't find it so here's another such - I enjoy rolling ball games in the vein of the genre grandfather, Marble Madness, but which are actually good, besides MM?

I played a bit of Monkey Ball and a relatively obscure game called Gumboy Adventures, but there's far more of them.

Any recommendations or favourites of yours?

DPrinny

Re: Best "rolling ball" game(s)

Post by DPrinny » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:56 pm

We <3 Karamari

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:58 pm

I think Bobby Bearing was supposed to be quite good.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Kula World is a must. Devilishly challenging and beautifully minimalistic aesthetically. One of those games that shows there was more to the Playstation than the usual big games that championed realistic visuals.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 pm

The Kororinpa games on the Wii are good fun and have a certain charm.

Rock of Ages on XBLA adds tower defence (and therefore a competitive edge) to the mix. The cut scenes are great too, there's more than a touch of Terry Gilliam about them.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:24 pm

TrailBlazer's fantastic, but to play it you'd have to get a Gizmondo :oops:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:15 am

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 are obviously right up there. They are essentially the same game gameplay wise, just different levels. SMB2 gets the nod of the two for me due to the extra mini games.

It's not a exactly a ball but Mercury Meltdown Revolution on the Wii deserves a mention, a great game with perfect Wii motion controls.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:59 pm

pratty wrote:Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 are obviously right up there. They are essentially the same game gameplay wise, just different levels. SMB2 gets the nod of the two for me due to the extra mini games.
Or there's always Super Monkey Ball Deluxe which has everything from the first two games and 47 extra levels (Xbox and PS2).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Vertigo (BBC)

Spindizzy (Various)

Spindizzy Worlds (Various)

merman

Post by merman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Tilt by Codemasters on the C64.

Roll a marble through a maze - by tilting the whole maze, with a clever graphic effect. Speed traps and moving gates make things tougher, and when you complete the mazes the ball grows bigger...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 on the Gamecube are great but in my opinion are surpassed by the magnificent Kororinpa on the Wii. The control and physics in that game are stunning and it's a bit of a shame there aren't more levels in the game (only 100 including mirror mode). It has charm pouring out of it which goes some way to compensate for the shortness of the game, and there are gold cup times to go for which extend it a bit (and of course there's a decent 2 player race mode). This game really shows how sensitive and accurate the wiimote's tilt sensors are.

It has a sequel - called Marble Balance Challenge in PAL land and it has a ton of content that makes up for the original's lack of levels. The only downside is that they tweaked the physics a bit to make things a wee bit easier. You can unlock marbles that recreate the feel of the original game though (and there's a custom ball that lets you set its attributes as well) but it's a pity that isn't available from the start for those who completed the original. There's 100 PAL exclusive special balance board levels and there even a level editor too. It seemed to get a limited release but it is well worth looking out for.

I like this series so much I even wrote a couple of reviews and the people at cubed3.com were kind enough to feature them...
http://www.cubed3.com/review/1175/1/kororinpa-wii.html
http://www.cubed3.com/review/1183/1/mar ... e-wii.html

Someone mentioned Mercury Meltdown revolution earlier too - excellent game. It was an early release and deserved to get more attention than it did.

The PS2 got a low key release called Mojo which is also worth a look.

.........and if you really do like this kind of thing then check out Perplexus - this isn't a video game - it's a series of 3D labyrinths encased in transparent spheres that provide an excellent challenge - there are Rookie, Original and Epic puzzles to get. And the recent addition to the series is a special Star Wars edition encased inside a transparent Death Star which is also excellent.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:41 pm

How about FORGOTTEN BALL a great wee game by our very own retrojc.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/434700/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... gottenball
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 pm

the_hawk wrote:How about FORGOTTEN BALL a great wee game by our very own retrojc.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/434700/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... gottenball
I'm lurker more than a poster now, but send me a message if you'd like a code :) Thank you for the shout out
Last edited by retrojc on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:03 pm

As per the thread;

Kula World, Marble Madness are my two favourite ball rolling games. Also I do enjoy Super Monkey Ball :)

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:46 pm

I was lucky enough to play Marble Madness in the arcade - only ever saw one cabinet. Two player mode was a hoot.