3ds Streetpass Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

flatapex

3ds Streetpass Discussion

Post by flatapex » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi all, I'm getting a 2ds this weekend, great, looking forward to it.

But- streetpasses confuse me. Why do I need to exchange them, where do I go to do it etc.

Also if anyone wants to exchange friend codes we can use this thread to do it unless there is somewhere else, i'll add mine this weekend

ALK

Re: 3ds Streetpass Discussion

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:39 pm

You leave your 3DS/2DS on stand by mode, take it outside with you and if you pass by other 3DS/2DS owners doing the same thing, certain data gets exchanged between the users.

Its used in different ways, like Mii Streetpass Plaza other people's Miis show up in the plaza and you can do things with them like get a puzzle piece to fill one of many puzzle panels, help rescue your Mii in the Quest minigame, or assist you in the other games like Mansion, the Space Shooter one, Fishing, etc.

Other games use it like giving you players' Mii to face as CPU opponents (Mario Tennis, Mario Kart Ghosts.), give you items, (Super Mario) or other things like their houses in Animal Crossing.

Generally, I get the best results from either visiting a relay (Usually places with Wi-Fi like McDonalds) or going to a convension like London Comic Con to get plenty of Passes.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:10 am

Living on a main road means I can leave mine on the window sill in the front room and get a few hits a week! :lol:

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:32 am

I am a regular streetpass user - here's some advice...

You can have ten streetpass software slots open at any one time - this means you can collect things from others 3DS users that will help you when you play a game. At the moment I mainly use it for Animal Crossing New Leaf, Puzzle & Dragons, Mario Tennis, New Super Mario Bros 2, Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Rumble. You can chop and change the titles you want to use streetpass for as often as you like - you just won't collect new data if streetpass is turned off for that title.

The main attraction though is the streetpass plaza - you get two free games to use with it 'Puzzle Swap'' and 'Streetpass Quest I & II'. You can also purchase many more... I'd highly recommend 'Haunted Mansion'.

You don't always have to pass other 3DS users on the street either. Many high street stores and restaurants have what is known as 'relay points'. This collects data from users throughout the day and allows you to download this data at any time. You can get a maximum of six streetpasses from each relay point and a maximum of ten streetpasses before you have to view your data (i.e. meet your streetpasses via the street plaza) before you can start again.

In the UK, relay points are located in every:

GAME
Argos
Costa Coffee
McDonalds
Subway
Pizza Hut

Be aware that if you carry more than one 3DS with you at one time, this can sometimes affect the performance of how many streetpasses you can get from these relay points - but if you're in the store/restaurant long enough you shouldn't have a problem.

It's great fun! Enjoy! :D

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:40 am

Random question:
I work near branches of all of those places, do I just walk past them or do I have to connect up at each location?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:57 am

You just have to walk past.

Streetpass is a pretty neat feature - I've enjoyed getting the puzzle pieces and seeing the amount of people in the plaza grow, but have been less bothered about the games themselves.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:06 am

Awesome, I have to walk past these places to get home, neat little bonus feature, especially as new smb2 is built in :)

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:24 am

flatapex wrote:Do I just walk past them or do I have to connect up at each location?
You can sometimes pick them up by just walking past, but to guarantee hits you will need to go inside! You will pick up hits within 2 mins, but if you're walking past you may miss out.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:37 am

So, if for example I am going past game, I can go in and peruse 3ds bargains and get streetpasses in the time it takes to decide there are no bargains, with my 2ds in my bag? Ideal

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:40 pm

The Streetpass Plaza DLC games are on offer from this week till the 28th.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/0 ... ust_europe
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Walking past is normally more than enough to get the hits.

If you have a Raspberry Pi you can actually set up a streetpass relay of your own - which can get you hits from people all around the world (as it'll also register "hits" from other people who have set their own one in the same way) - It tends to only give you six at a time - with a maximum of ten for the streetpass plaza games. Other games have different limits - the highest I've seen is 50.
Where logic won't work, I will

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:51 pm

5 more Plaza games have been added for purchase today. You can pick 1 of 2 of them for free and buy the rest individually or as a bundle.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/0 ... d_100_hits
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:27 am

batman877 wrote:
In the UK, relay points are located in every:

GAME
Argos
Costa Coffee
McDonalds
Subway
Pizza Hut
Since the recent software update, I've been unable to streetpass at any relay points except GAME. Does anyone know what happened? Searching on Google is bringing no information up!

Basically, except for GAME which is the official Nintendo Zone partner in the UK, the other relay points are based on O2 wifi... do the providers need to update their boxes to be compatible with the update? Have Nintendo cancelled their partnership with O2 (which started back in 2013)? Have any of you managed to get streetpasses from these relay points in the last two weeks? I'd love to know what's going on as I used to love visiting all the different places on my travels to pick up hits...

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I'll need to go travelling to check up on that for you - I should be in Glasgow city centre this weekend, so I'll make sure to walk past a few of those places (while avoiding Game - which should be easy enough) and let you know how it goes.
Where logic won't work, I will

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:59 pm

gunbladelad wrote:I'll need to go travelling to check up on that for you - I should be in Glasgow city centre this weekend, so I'll make sure to walk past a few of those places (while avoiding Game - which should be easy enough) and let you know how it goes.
Any joy mate? I've been to several stores in the past week around the Midlands/South Yorkshire areas. Still only getting hits from GAME. I've tried Argos, McDonalds, Subway and Costa - all places I was getting hits before the update - but not a single hit!

I've also contacted Nintendo UK who unsurprising sent me a generic response of "this has been sent to the relevant department to look into, but you will not receive a reply".