No Man Sky

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rocky1980

No Man Sky

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 pm

I was sure there would have been a thread about this one :!: I am really looking forward to it, I was going to wait until the reviews were in & and the price dropped a bit. However I ended up watching some steams on twitch last night. As a result I ended up pre ordering. I never pre order or watch stuff :shock: on twitch so I am hoping this game lives up to the hype in my own head.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Joey

Re: No Man Sky

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:26 pm

It's been talked about alot in the PS4/XB1 thread.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm a fan of Elite (I became Elite on the Amiga version), and I've been interested in NMS since it was first announced. I've nearly pre-ordered it a few times, but I'll wait until I read some non-spoilery reviews.

Strangely, PS+ this month has given us a similar game, so I'm playing that at the moment. I hope that after playing that for ages I still have interest in playing another similar one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:41 pm

I almost picked up Elite several times as well for the Xbox One. I held out for NMS though and it sounds good, hopefully it'll be what I hope it is (its probably overhyped at this point, but I'm still looking forward to it).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:59 pm

Starflight without the story mixed with Minecraft and Metroid prime and some decent graphics for a change?

Will it work with PSVR?

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:06 am

Tonight, I'm going to have this all over and inside of me. Take me Sean, I'm ready.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:18 am

Sel Feena wrote:Tonight, I'm going to have this all over and inside of me. Take me Sean, I'm ready.
Let me know what its like mate. I cant get it for a whole week yet. :cry:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:34 am

Gutted to find out today that NMS is being made by Hello games/Sean Murray.

I promised I would never buy one of his games again after his arrogant, slave trade views on crunch.

How did I not realise it was the same studio?? Ah well. Never mind. Saved myself £50 I guess. :)

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:07 pm

??? I'm intrigued now, mate. What's all that about?

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:36 pm

Sel Feena wrote:??? I'm intrigued now, mate. What's all that about?
Murray did an interview several years ago after Joe Danger was released spouting the virtues of crunch and how he loved it and how everyone who works in AAA should either love it or lump it too.

He's an arsehole
In my book. I'll buy his game second hand so he doesn't get any money for it.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:37 pm

Ill be picking this up tomorrow. Cannot wait to see if i have to start on some death trap planet!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Gigifusc wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:??? I'm intrigued now, mate. What's all that about?
Murray did an interview several years ago after Joe Danger was released spouting the virtues of crunch and how he loved it and how everyone who works in AAA should either love it or lump it too.

He's an arsehole
In my book. I'll buy his game second hand so he doesn't get any money for it.
You should probably buy all your games second hand then, as crunch development is standard practice in the video games industry. Almost everyone does it, although at least most have some vague inkling that they shouldn't as it's considered extremely bad practice in the software development industry at large.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:59 pm

gman72 wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Tonight, I'm going to have this all over and inside of me. Take me Sean, I'm ready.
Let me know what its like mate. I cant get it for a whole week yet. :cry:
Had a quick play just now, and so far I'm really digging it. Explored a large cave system, found a bunch of monoliths that taught me some words and scanned a bunch of plants and what look like giant gormless oxes. Game feels extremely chill, and there doesn't seem to be any thread to follow. You're left to your own devices to do whatever.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 am

Sel Feena wrote: Had a quick play just now, and so far I'm really digging it. Explored a large cave system, found a bunch of monoliths that taught me some words and scanned a bunch of plants and what look like giant gormless oxes. Game feels extremely chill, and there doesn't seem to be any thread to follow. You're left to your own devices to do whatever.
I think the chill vibe is going to kill the game for me. Everything looks nice and the mild survival resource gathering means there's something to do but the game seems pretty lightweight all told. It's early days though. It might just be me getting soft planets or something. Right now I'm thinking the game is a letdown and I wasn't expecting it to be that great in the first place. Really hoping things pick up a bit soon. Feels like I've bought a Walking Simulator type thing at the moment, with no story.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:42 am

^ From what I understand there is lore and something resembling a narrative but you have to stumble onto it. There was a red orb thingy I talked to at the start of the game, offering guidance, but I mugged it off and just started wandering around. Maybe that was a trigger to set you on a MQ type of thing.

I deffo agree that the various systems in place don't feel particularly deep, but it's early days yet, so maybe there's more to it. Should also add I ended my play with a visit to a space station, which seems to act like a starship showroom more than anything! Though every ship I looked at was insanely expensive- I'm talking millions of Units. Just my luck.
Last edited by Sel Feena on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.