old Windows games on modern architecture...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

patmanqc

old Windows games on modern architecture...

Post by patmanqc » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:52 pm

i am trying to run PBA bowling 2 and PBA 2001 for Windows. At first I thought it was an operating system issue so I partitioned my hard drive and installed XP on it. I was still encountering the same graphical glitches that I did running Windows 7. I even tried a different video card but there is no change. I know about DOS box and since this is an early XP game I even tried virtual XP first but that did not help either.

Are these games just incompatible the newer architecture and not just the operating system?
Please visit my retro gaming documentary channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkuHX ... subscriber

theantmeister

Re: old Windows games on modern architecture...

Post by theantmeister » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:14 am

There are things you can try to get the game working on modern systems. Windows compatibility modes help. Forcing Windows to only run the game on a single core (if you have multiple cores) fixes a lot of problems.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:21 am

I have found old Windows game to be more happy with Wine or Cross Over on Linux O/S.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:33 am

Yes, Wine can be a very useful tool for this because it's a lot more configurable than the Windows compatibility modes - especially if you're using PlayOnLinux but bare bones Wine will have it's uses too.

I started a thread on this topic a few months ago and have added a fair few games to the list since then:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=52411

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:44 pm

There's a number of issues you can encounter with older PC games when running them on a modern system, from software to hardware reasons. OS and drivers are one thing, CPU speed (some older games run too fast on modern CPUs), amount of cores (can confuse some games), amount of memory (some games can utilize only a certain amount, above that they can get issues), graphics chip type (some modern GPUs may not be compatible with some older titles or will display graphical glitches) and even imput devices (e.g. game doesn't recognize the controller) are another.

I play a lot of older PC games and I can tell you that most of them work fine on a modern system, but of course there are also those that have to be patched to run, some that have graphical glitches and a handful of those that simply refuse to run. For the, lets say, pre Half-Life 2 PC games, it's a very good choice to run them on a dedicated "retro" rig sporting a well-supported 32-bit OS (e.g. Windows XP) with a single-core 32-bit CPU a not too high amount of RAM (1 GB will do) and some older graphics card (either a 3dfx Voodoo or a decent older Nvidia or ATi card like the 6600 GT or 9800 PRO) and you could also build a dedicated DOS machine sporting a high-end 486 or Pentium 1 and other things if you're enthustiastic about it, but DOS Box will also do.

So for the initial question, if the game is made for "Win32" it will run on any compatible X86 CPU and GPU, it has more to do with the above-mentioned reasons why you may encounter issues.