Retro's 'Weenix' Arcade cabinet

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retromax

Retro's 'Weenix' Arcade cabinet

Post by retromax » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:50 am

Haven't posted here in a while or any gaming forums much lately so I thought i'd post my mini Phoenix 'Weenix' cabinet that I've recently finished building.
I've been posting my progress on the build of this over on jamma+ over the last couple of weeks so here's what's what:-

About 3 years ago I was at the local tip getting rid of some rubbish when I came across a little 10" colour TV and a light bulb came on!, as i'm a fan of building 'little' arcade cabinets I knew something I always wanted was a Centuri 'Phoenix' arcade and this was my opportunity to start. I built a system running mame from a Pentium III motherboard and then placed it in the shed where unfortunately it waited for 3 years, I'd got a week off work coming up as the wife was away with work so I thought "I know what i'm gonna do, I'm gonna finish that Phoenix cab".

When the week arrived I started construction as soon as the wife left the house :lol: and within a day I had my basic cabinet built from 3/4" ply, as the week progressed i'd been cutting glass, grinding and bending aluminium, routing, sanding, staining, painting and everything (like I say the full build is over on jamma+).

When it came to getting the system out of the shed i'd built for this it wasn't working too good and was noisy so I opted to use a spare raspberry pi i'd had laying around for a while, I had all the artwork specially scaled down and printed (the cabinet is only 90cm tall) and that was the last thing to fit when it arrived yesterday.
So now it's all done I thought i'd post it here as this was one of the first retro gaming forums I joined,

So a few pics along the way to completion
Oh and it's 10p per play just as it was when I was a kid :D

Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Big Shoes

Re: Retro's 'Weenix' Arcade cabinet

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 pm

That is amazing! I wish I could build something half as good as that.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Good to see your not one of them guys that thinks that EVERY BLOODY CAB needs 6 buttons and a joystick
Last edited by DPrinny on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:41 pm

Amazing!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:16 pm

A thing of absolute beauty. You know you could give up your job and make a living doing commissions right?

retromax

Post by retromax » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:38 pm

JamesC wrote:A thing of absolute beauty. You know you could give up your job and make a living doing commissions right?
Ha ha, I couldn't let them go too personal
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

retromax

Post by retromax » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:10 pm

A couple of short video's of it here (my son playing) before the final artwork was applied
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMBikSI2wo

it actually runs 2 games, the other is Pleiads for obvious reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w44ENVC2bbo

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Yowzers! But when going for small size I have a thing about bar-top units. (Well, a cocktail unit probably wouldn't qualify?)

retromax

Post by retromax » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:21 pm

NorthWay wrote:Yowzers! But when going for small size I have a thing about bar-top units. (Well, a cocktail unit probably wouldn't qualify?)
Thought about doing a bartop in the past just never got around to it, the thing I like about the Phoenix cab is if you actually see it without nothing to compare the size to you wouldn't realize it's size :)

retromax

Post by retromax » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:24 pm

May aswell have the modified flyer with my cab in it :wink:

retromax

Post by retromax » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Oh and I should post a link to Olly's site who did my artwork for me
http://www.arcadeartshop.com/

retromax

Post by retromax » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:14 am

Picture for the article in Retrogamer :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

retromax

Post by retromax » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:20 am

Some clever member over at Jamma+ did this for me today, check out the bottom line of text :D

retromax

Post by retromax » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:38 am

finally moved into it's new home

retromax

Post by retromax » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:14 am