Getting WinUAE running?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:35 pm

necronom wrote:Superfrog is one of the best platform games ever made.

I assume you must only be referring to platformers on the Amiga ?

In that case yes , I agree

If you mainly wanted platformers however , the SNES and MD had the market cornered.

In my opinion the best platformer on the Amiga by quite some way is Prince Of Persia
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:48 pm

I'd say it is probably in the top two or three on the Amiga, so surely that would make it "one of the best" overall. Even if there are 20 or 30 better ones on other systems, that's still in the top few percent of all platform games ever made I would expect.

I never played any 16bit console games, so I don't know what is better on those.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:40 pm

Superfrog is in my top 2 Amiga platformers.......

the other being Fire & Ice :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:44 pm

Imho platformers are about the only games which are better played with a pad than a joystick
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:54 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Imho platformers are about the only games which are better played with a pad than a joystick
RPGs? They're a pain in the proverbial when you're lugging a joystick about the screen (although the mouse boots both of them into touch).
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:06 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Imho platformers are about the only games which are better played with a pad than a joystick
I hate pads. That's the main reason I never even considered getting a console until the analogue PS dualshock arrived.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:08 pm

necronom wrote:
I hate pads. That's the main reason I never even considered getting a console until the analogue PS dualshock arrived.
try playing Mario World on an emulator with a joystick - then on a SNES with a pad
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:37 am

Hmm, better platformers on the Amiga than Superfrog.

Fire and Ice, Global Gladiators, McDonald Land, Giana sisters, Qwak, Tearaway Thomas, Cool Spot, Aladdin, Venus the Fly Trap, Prince of Persia, Rainbow Island, Bubble Bobble, Parasol Stars, Chuck Rock, BC Kid, The New Zealand Story, Robocod, Silly Putty, Alfred Chicken. Zool, Wonderboy.

More debatably (in terms of genre), Assassin, Lionheart, Flashback ands Sleepwalker.

And that's just off the top of my head.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 am

No you guys have missed the point of the WinUAE, you have to run Workbench then Deluxe Paint, or Wordworth, or Pagestream on it! Hahaha! Only joking! ALthough Pagestream is now available for the PC and Mac!

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:04 am

My favourite Amiga platformer was "Monster Business", hugely under rated and forgotten - even though it constantly appeared in AP's top 100. I have kept my copy proudly to this day.

My numerous attempts to get it working in WinUAE have failed. I don't think it's even listed on Lemon. Has anybody else tried it via emulation?

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 am

Works fine with GameBase Amiga ;)

Seriously though, the only thing "special" it seems to need is cpu more compatible ticked.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:50 pm

Although platformers aren't my thing, I did try out Parsol Stars and that is quite good.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:37 am

The thing i'm really looking for is an option to skip loading screens and stuff, dunno if i'm in the minority but i'm not looking for 100% emulation, I just wanna play the games, not hang about for 5 minutes while it loads then figure out my control pad doesn't wanna control it properly and need reconfigured!
Sorry, got to this a bit late. In the Disk Drives tab you can turn the Disk Speed up to 800% this makes loading ADFs a breeze.

The problem with all of the different versions of UAE is JIT it is still flawed, they make a change to it release an update, it doesn't work right, people complain, they change it back (or make a different change) and release an update and so on.

In all fairness although each release normally represents a slight step down in speed they normally signal an increase in compatibility. For instance, I recently mangaed to get R3: The Art of Rocketry to work under WinUAE which is something i've never been able to do before.

Oh, and for those who still find AB3D2 slow, try turning the FPS up to 75.
Last edited by DrBlue on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:43 am

DrBlue wrote:
The thing i'm really looking for is an option to skip loading screens and stuff, dunno if i'm in the minority but i'm not looking for 100% emulation, I just wanna play the games, not hang about for 5 minutes while it loads then figure out my control pad doesn't wanna control it properly and need reconfigured!
Sorry, got to this a bit late. In the Disk Drives tab you can turn the Disk Speed up to 800% this makes loading ADFs a breeze.
Although it affects compatibility.

A better idea is to let it load once, then save the state.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:16 am

Yeah, making a savestate after the game has loaded is a great idea and as Dudley says setting the disk speed to anything other than 100% will break compatibility.

If you want to speed up loading times you use warp mode (end+break) which doesn't break compatiblity (apart from a few WHDLoad games).