Getting WinUAE running?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DanDare

Getting WinUAE running?

Post by DanDare » Wed May 23, 2007 9:52 am

I'm trying to get WinUAE running but am having trouble. I have the KS roms, but it seems I need the Emulated Floppy Drives too? (I thought I had them, but it turns out they're not bootable - doh)

I appreciate there is probably a legal issue with stuff like this, so I am not asking anyone to point me into the direction of where to get those files. I'm simply asking if there is a fool-proof guide that I can look at that will help me set it up.

I did check: http://www.winuae.net/cw.html but it confuses the living daylights out of me. I also visited http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/winuaemenu.htm which does suggest one or two websites to get the images from. Unfortunately one is in Chinese while the other just shows a blank screen with the message: Working, wait some mins...

Either way I just can't set the bloody thing up! So was hoping someone who has it working could give me a rough idea.

Or maybe I'm just thick :shock:

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 23, 2007 9:57 am

Popping over to Lemon Amiga is your best bet.

Not only can they assist but the Lemonade front-end hosted at the site takes all the hassle out of WinUAE for games and all you need is WinUAE and the kikstart roms.
Once its installed you should be up and gaming in about 5 minutes.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed May 23, 2007 11:41 am

Win UAE is a piece of cake dude.
Chuck your kick.rom in the same directory as the emulator
(once you have extracted it from the proper amiga of course ;)

open up Win UAE and tell it where the rom is.
test boot it and you will see either the hand of 1.3 or the purple disc screen 2.x onwards not sure what 3.x does tbh.

now all you need are some adf images , there are loads on the net some of them legal too.
BTTR amiga used to have some but i think it may have closed now.

all you gotta do is open say df0: and browse for your adf and insert it then run Win UAE. it will load the adf up.

all an adf is , is a virtual copy of a whole real amiga disk. kinda like a primitive iso.

there are other settings to play with e.g. joystick settings or setting the emulator to treat the numeric keypad as a joystick , and whether or not you want sound etc..
but as for speed settings etc i wouldnt mess to much the defaults are fairly ok.
you can get config settings on the net for it too , to set win UAE up as either an
A500 or A1200 etc.

A500 is most compatible with everything. A500+ is useless as is the A600
A1200 is ok if you like fancier graphics but for great gaming I always go the 500 route.
Retro when it wasnt cool

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Wed May 23, 2007 12:26 pm

Humbug! I keep getting the AmigaDOS screen saying "Out of memory messages" when I try to boot the ADF.

Bad ADF?

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Wed May 23, 2007 2:13 pm

You probably just need to configure more memory, but I'd recommend using GameBase Amiga, a new version of which was released at the weekend.

It makes launching adf's easy as the games are carefully tested to make sure the config's are correct and that the adf's aren't bad. It also has support for SPS IPF images which are 1:1 copies of the original games, and the new version has WHDLoad support which allows you to play special HD installs of the games and so you get faster loading times and no diskswapping.

Grab it from http://gbamiga.elowar.com

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:14 pm

I wouldnt mind emulating an Amiga at some point, but knowing me Id be better off just walking down the Market and buying one
Watching you sleep since 1990

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed May 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Lindopski wrote:Win UAE is a piece of cake dude.

Biggest lie i've ever heard in my life!!! :wink:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 23, 2007 2:33 pm

I would still go for Lemonade. Takes all the hassle out of setting it up, and launching games for different configurations of machine, and is a great way to browse your games collection.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed May 23, 2007 2:36 pm

Just downloaded Lemonade, seems like it's really gonna take the hassle outta playing with WinUAE. I'm really impressed so far.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Wed May 23, 2007 2:44 pm

:roll:

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Yup, I used to fight with WinUAE all the time. There's just too many options and variables and if you weren't into the original Amiga to any degree it largely meant f**k all.

Discovered Lemonade and haven't had to mess with the settings once. It just does it all for you. Plus the details that come built in with it including all the info about the game and authors, screenshots, the lot!, is very impressive.

Probably the best dedicated Front-End I've ever come across (and I've experienced more than a few).

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed May 23, 2007 2:51 pm

Gonna check out Gamebase!!

Do any of these actually make the controls anything less than annoying??

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 23, 2007 2:56 pm

I wasn't as impressed with Gamebase. Apart from it taking a lot more effort to set up than Lemonade, I'm just as happy using Mamewah to launch Winvice since I only emulate the C64 and don't really use any of the other commodore systems. Setting up a gamepad or whatever as a joystick in WinVice is cake though and you only need to do it the once.

Certainly looks good if you can be arsed to get it set up and running though.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed May 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Requirements [<]
These are additional requirements for GameBase Amiga versions v1.1 and higher:

WinUAE Version 1.1 or greater (note: only official releases are supported)
These are the requirements for all GameBase Amiga versions to date (v1.0 and higher):

A Windows PC compatible with GameBase 1.1 and WinUAE 1.x and fast enough to play Amiga games with WinUAE
GameBase Version 1.1 or greater

I have WinUAe at version 1.1 or higher, have just installed Gamebase version 1.1!!

But when I try to install Gamebase Amiga version 1.4 it keeps asking me where my gamebase 1.1 folder is, what am I doing wrong?

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Wed May 23, 2007 3:10 pm

WinUAE can be a pain but I've used it so much I know most of its nuances.

A good place to start would be CPC464's 'Amiga Emulation For Beginners' page here http://cpc464.back2roots.org/menu.htm

Hope this helps!!