do any of you meet up for a retro session?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nemerodius

do any of you meet up for a retro session?

Post by nemerodius » Wed May 23, 2007 8:55 am

Being in my thirties, girlfriend, house full time job etc, my gaming partners have drifted away (plus moving area a feww years ago). My god, this does sound sad, but do any of you arrange gaming sessions? Do any of you know each other?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:06 am

Sort of. There's the Retro Gaming League (click my sig).

Not a physical meet, but competitive play adds something to the games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lorfarius

Re: do any of you meet up for a retro session?

Post by Lorfarius » Wed May 23, 2007 9:38 am

nemerodius wrote:Being in my thirties, girlfriend, house full time job etc, my gaming partners have drifted away (plus moving area a feww years ago). My god, this does sound sad, but do any of you arrange gaming sessions? Do any of you know each other?
Yes, everyone here is coming to Retro North so why dont you :p
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

devilman

Post by devilman » Wed May 23, 2007 1:17 pm

I noticed that Retro North thingy. I'm in Stoke so I might just pop along myself too. :)

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Wed May 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I must be the only gaming American here. :-\

(Sorry about Bush, BTW - I tried.)

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed May 23, 2007 4:18 pm

why didnt anyone think of doing a retro gaming session in the south (essex would be great, hint hint!). we have naff all like that round here. saying that, though, i did invite my mate round and played Sensible Soccer and Speedball 2 on WinUAE. Got my arse kicked, but still. i might join that there retro gaming league...

But i reckon that Retro Gamer should do a Retro Playoff over a few days around Britain with a final in London. the ones that are left after go on till one remains. i suppose the prize could be a guest spot in a future issue of retro gamer, then go on to get a job on the writing staff............

..............only an idea, mind.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Freshmetal

Post by Freshmetal » Wed May 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Occasionally, if I'm off out for the evening with some mates, a few of us will gather at someone's house a few hours early and have a multiplayer session on something; and during the summer, if we organise a BBQ, we normally end up with a Pro Evo tourney. We don't really gather for a dedicated gaming session though. If someone wants us all to play together, it's generally on an online PC game or over Xbox Live.
It's a shame really. At uni, especially in my first year when I was in halls of residence, a whole group of us would gather for tournies of various games, which was immense fun and I really miss it. Playing online together has nothing on in-the-room-together multiplayer gaming.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu May 24, 2007 4:21 am

JetSetWilly wrote:why didnt anyone think of doing a retro gaming session in the south (essex would be great, hint hint!).
Well there were two events down south in Croydon in 2004 and 2005. It was a real trek for most people to get there and the M25 is just bad.!

Boyo ran Retro Ball then RetroFusion in the Midlands after this and that was much better as very central for everybody.

Location of an event is always a problem but middle England is surely best for everyone unless you live in Scotland.

Regards

RIK

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 am

At least once a week, mates of mine from when I was in my teens (I'm now 37) come around and we have a few beers and spend an evening infront of the consoles or PC emus. It's really great to have mates who you can go back to Golden Axe with and it's like being a young lad again!

Also, I guess I'm pretty lucky, as my missus loves computer games too! She's into her Megadrive and Playstation (1) games so as it happens last night we played a few hours of "Cool Borders 4" which we picked up for .99p in town. Bargain!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:47 am

I know what you mean, i tend to play JSW online and see a few names from the forum there but the Retro gatherings are the best bet. Boyo did two great ones in the Midlands and now of course theres the Retro North event coming up later this year which should be good

The days of playing 2 player Ikari Warriors or Bubble Bobble are sadly long gone though !

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu May 24, 2007 7:38 am

Me and The Last Ginja have been known to have a blast on some of the older XBLA games together, but since I appear to be the only one from Northern Ireland posting regularly on here, no meets. I'd love to go to the likes of Retronorth, but it would cost a fair bit for me.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Thu May 24, 2007 12:23 pm

There were plans to get together in Southampton earlier this year in the retro arcade that got mentioned on these forums and also in RG. I contacted the owner who was really keen to have us down there. Sadly though, the arcade closed and the machines were posted on Ebay (so I'm told).

Recently there was Retrovision somewhere around Oxford I believe.

Such a shame the Classic Gaming Expo UK is no more. That was great fun and the last one with all the arcade cabs and the American high score champs going over. A bunch of us met on the Friday night in Croydon which I thoroughly enjoyed.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu May 24, 2007 3:00 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:why didnt anyone think of doing a retro gaming session in the south (essex would be great, hint hint!)
Northampton would be even better (hint hint hint!) :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 24, 2007 3:20 pm

Retro leaague here as well -realy enjoyed getting into some games I'd never even heard of before - and they definately get better with extended play
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu May 24, 2007 4:00 pm

just joined the retro league............

.....................how do you use it though???
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!