Sonic Mania (Brand New Retro Inspired Sonic Game)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sel Feena

Re: Sonic Mania (Brand New Retro Inspired Sonic Game)

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 am

https://youtu.be/zA9zwpMj_8A

This is hitting me right in the nostalgia, beautiful

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 am
ShadowMan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm
miqrojamie wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm
Another thing, I wish Sega one day released a PC game based on the original ideas of StH2, including the time travel...
I've been asking for this for ages. I'd love for it to happen but I won't hold my breath.
It's interesting to hear people saying that, because I spoke to someone else recently who wants something like that… Maybe you'll find out more about that conversation in due time. :wink:
Oooh, can't wait :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:09 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 am
ShadowMan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm
miqrojamie wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm
Another thing, I wish Sega one day released a PC game based on the original ideas of StH2, including the time travel...
I've been asking for this for ages. I'd love for it to happen but I won't hold my breath.
It's interesting to hear people saying that, because I spoke to someone else recently who wants something like that… Maybe you'll find out more about that conversation in due time. :wink:
Interesting. :)

Come on then everyone, let buy Sonic Mania on every platform so SEGA commissions more 2D Sonics! :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm

I'd order it in bulk and pay the full price rather than a discount just to support how awesome this game is. :D
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:22 pm

I can't play it until Thursday at the earliest.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 pm

It's brilliant. Here's our review.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 am

Played through a good chunk of it. I might talk about slight spoilers (Reveals, etc.) but won't get carried away so consider this a spoiler warning.

As some who has played the MD to death, and I REALLY mean to death from childhood to today whenever there's a new rerelease, I can honestly say this is most certainly the closest any official Sonic game has come to recapturing not just the MD Sonic gameplay and look, but general 90s SEGA vibe only 90s kids who grew up with it could understand. The love and care that has gone into the level designs is just amazing, the music rearrangements to classic levels are just beautiful (Flying Battery Act 2 did not disappoint), the nods to Sonic's entire pre-Adventure history brings many smiles, it really does feel like a truer Sonic 4 then Sonic 4 did (Which if you liked, great but this game truly blows it away). My only real nitpick, and this is only really minor, is at first the game starts by telling its story the same way as Sonic 3, though the actual in-game sprites and zero dialogue, and at the end of acts you would see how Sonic/Tails/Knuckles would advance to the next level (Like again, Sonic 3 like when Knuckles pushes the switch to destroy the bridge Sonic's on to fall into Hydro City.) but on some levels it won't explain how Sonic ends up in the next level, instead just fading to black and his just in the next level. Again, VERY minor and really if that's the only nitpick I have, then its still doing a great job regardless.

I did wish my TV wasnt currently being repaired as my only way of playing it was via the Switch in handheld mode (Which thumbs up for Nintendo for launching the game dead on midnight like everyone else.) as not only the battery ran out before I could beat the game but I wish I could see and hear the game on a big screen and such (Though it still looks really good on the Switch screen). So far up to the desert level that was revealed beforehand and I'm not ashamed to say I only have 2 Emeralds as the 3rd special stage was hard (In general the special stages are like Sonic's CD except they're actually fun and its more a race then a "where the heck's the UFO?!?" thing. Was concerned at the 3D graphics but thankfully they still look good and don't feel off from the rest of the game. Bonus stages are Blue Speares which has never looked better.). So far, there was been a good stuck of levels, 2 of which I had not seen in trailers thankfully so they reveals brought a delight surprise. The spin drop takes some getting used to (Which is good. Its something that minics the first time you went from Sonic 1 to 2 and spindashed for the first time, or flew and glided with Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 3) but a boss will help you adapt to the new move as its needed to beat him. Bosses also do a great job as well, something I always looked forward to as kid was seeing what machine Robotnik had come up with next the reveals are certainly something (Especially 1 Act 2 boss I do not dare to spoil. Your reaction will truly thank you for not spoiling it. :lol: )

Looking forward to beating the game tomorrow no matter how much is lift. Already this game has lived up to the hype it had going. :D
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Had a quick play, really loving the bosses and Chaos Emerald stages. Gorgeous game, hope there are a good number of zones, finished my session at start of Press Garden

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am

Sel Feena wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 pm
Had a quick play, really loving the bosses and Chaos Emerald stages. Gorgeous game, hope there are a good number of zones, finished my session at start of Press Garden
Same part I left off on. Its really, really good. Its right up there with Mega Man 9 in terms of a sequel done right. I'm loving the level design of the new/remixed acts, the music and the new special stages as well (up to four chaos emeralds).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Got my dates wrong. I am now unbelievably excited for tomorrow (today) as I finally get to play it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 pm

My annoyance with the bonus levels is there is a very slight lag from when you press the direction you want to move to collect the blue spheres. I colloect them around the outside of the square sets so they turn to rings...but the lag between the sharp movemnets and when it speeds up are unfair. I dont recall yellow spheres being used to jump so that takes a bit of getting used to. Disnt know what i was doing on the other bonus level catching a ufo...bit mariokart esque but yeah clueless.

The game is a welcome nostalgia blast though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am

Ordered it on PC

I BROUGHT A NEW GAME ON DOWNLOAD!!

CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER!
DONALD TRUMP WITH A GOOD IDEA!!
MASS HYSTERIA!!
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Well I'm onto the last zone (er titanium egg I think it is) and I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed it thus far. Sadly I won't be able to finish it until Thursday :(. So far highlights have been the cameos from Fang, Bark and Bean, and the OTHER sonic cd level included towards the end.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm really enjoying the game. The special stages though are awful, I'm not enjoying them at all. I wish the blue sphere levels got you an emerald as I'm actually good at them!

I hope we see a sequel, this has given me a taste for another MD style Sonic game. I'm seeing a lot of praise for the new levels and rightly so but if there is a sequel I'd like the remix levels to stick around. They're great fun and I'd like to revisit reimagined versions of places like the Mushroom Hill Zone, Sky Sanctuary Zone, Scrap Brain Zone and even the Death Egg.

I'm definitely hungry for more. If it's DLC I'll buy it, if it's a new game I'll weep tears of joy.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:25 am

Just polished it off last night (couldn't get all the Emeralds though). Left me wanting more from the guys who made this, and imo if there isn't a Sonic Mania 2 Sega needs their heads checking!