Sonic Mania (Brand New Retro Inspired Sonic Game)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: Sonic Mania (Brand New Retro Inspired Sonic Game)

Post by pratty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:30 pm

As if it wasn't retro enough, in contrast to the new 3D Sonic trailer, the 2D trailer had actual gameplay footage. :)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:52 pm

I just had to change my trousers.

As someone who actually enjoyed sonic 4 i think this looms FANTASTIC. Hopefully they review some good stages from all the old games.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 am

People saying it's a return to form at last, conveniently forgetting Colours, Generations & 4 part 2 were all great.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:49 pm

the_hawk wrote:People saying it's a return to form at last, conveniently forgetting Colours, Generations & 4 part 2 were all great.
True, but Lost Worlds was off track for most people and Boom completely shattered what momentum the series got from those great games.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:33 pm

the_hawk wrote:People saying it's a return to form at last, conveniently forgetting Colours, Generations & 4 part 2 were all great.
Isnt that how the cycle is though? People hail as a return, then sega eff it up and people go awww then they release it and its worse.

Saying that youve reminded me i havent played colours yet.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Looks pretty cool, although I would've been more impressed if they made HD remakes of the first three games. Here you can see (and download the demo) how nice Sonic 2 looks in HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5XqON9OcI

Although this would have been much more work to make so I understand they picked a new, retro-styled continuation/compilation instead.

Spirit of AHB

Post by Spirit of AHB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:26 pm

it looks like sega have finally woken up and listened i enjoyed both sonic 4 episodes and the 2d sections of sonic generations and with christian whitehead on board making this game and the graphics in the style of sonic cd i for one cant wait until spring 2017 :D

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm

3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:52 am

It's good they're going back to the original gameplay, but the graphics aren't going to impress anyone.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of 2.5D. The scenery in the rare side-on bits of Sonic Unleashed looked amazing, especially the lighting of the Mykonos-inspired zone.

It didn't work so well in Sonic Generations because the levels wrapped around one big 3D structure, which made it hard to tell the background from the foreground and also made it harder to spot the in-plane nasties. But separate scrolling foreground and background layers could still be done with 2.5D elements, just like early Playstation stuff like Pandemonium! and Klonoa.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:37 pm

I noticed in the second level shown, a slight riff remix of collision chaos present music from the eu/jp Sonic cd and also some sound effects from sonic spinball.

I do wondet why the exact recreation of level layout for green hill zone though? Sure it has newer shields and a different boss but the layout is no dofferent. And we saw a good 2/3rds of the first act!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:24 am

The start of it is the same, they have change parts of it

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:20 am

DPrinny wrote:The start of it is the same, they have change parts of it
The only bit that was changed was the boss thing they showed off. The entorety of the rest of the level shown off was a complete copy with only the lightning shield changed for the normal one on the loop de loop.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:10 am

There were some differences in the reveal trailer of the Green Hill Zone level. Perhaps its like Generations on 3DS where act one is exactly like the classic stage and act 2 is a new stage in that zone's colours and theme (Only not in 2.5D Sonic style)?

3DS port could be happening.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/0 ... ntendo_3ds
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:38 am

ALK wrote:There were some differences in the reveal trailer of the Green Hill Zone level. Perhaps its like Generations on 3DS where act one is exactly like the classic stage and act 2 is a new stage in that zone's colours and theme (Only not in 2.5D Sonic style)?

Act 1 of GHZ isn't the same as Sonic 1 though. There is a whole new area added 2/3 of the way through the act, there is a brand new upper path added to the level. Not to mention Act 1 now has a boss waiting for you before completion of the act (and all stages apparently have this). So it sounds like even the classic levels will be remixed quite a bit.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:42 am

ShadowMan wrote:
ALK wrote:There were some differences in the reveal trailer of the Green Hill Zone level. Perhaps its like Generations on 3DS where act one is exactly like the classic stage and act 2 is a new stage in that zone's colours and theme (Only not in 2.5D Sonic style)?

Act 1 of GHZ isn't the same as Sonic 1 though. There is a whole new area added 2/3 of the way through the act, there is a brand new upper path added to the level. Not to mention Act 1 now has a boss waiting for you before completion of the act (and all stages apparently have this). So it sounds like even the classic levels will be remixed quite a bit.
That makes a bit more sense. I assumed there would be some remixing but that helps. Replaying a level pound for pound how it originally looked is a bit meh (generations changed the visual style and camera angles enough to make it feel different yet familiar)