Your favourite mods for a game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Your favourite mods for a game?

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:01 pm

I've just installed the "Long War" mod for X-Com Enemy Unknown. It's really good. So, on that topic what are people's favourite mods for games both new and "retro"? Share your thoughts, please. :D

outdated_gamer

Re: Your favourite mods for a game?

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Too many to mention tbh. PC gaming is really about modding, if you aren't into mods you're missing out half the fun of it all. Some of my faves:

Black Mesa, the mod that turns Half-Life 2 into a full remake of H-L1.

Cold War Rearmed, the mod that turns ArmA 2 into a full remake of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

STALKER complete mod, the mod that makes the already great atmospheric shooter even better.

GTA IV Icenhancer, the mod that turns the rather ugly-looking GTA IV into a visually spectacular game.

Day-Z mod for ArmA 2, the mod I originally didn't like that much but it's still rather impressive.

This is just some of them and limited to more modern titles, there's tons more for older games, including hacks for emulated console games.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:59 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Is that now fully released inc the Xen levels? I played it back when that was all that was available, it was great.

Too many mods to mention for Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, they really do make great games perfect.

Total Annihilation - Final Frontier which turned it into a space RTS, SWTS which turned it into a Star Wars RTS, many custom units and maps.

Supreme Commander - Experimental wars & Total Mayhem.

Played a lot of C&C Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 mods at the time, though the names have been forgotten.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:22 am

You know, outside of Doom mods, I never really got into it.

Brutal Doom is a current favourite, but I used to try out all sorts of Doom wads back in the day. Barney Doom, Simpsons Doom, Alien Doom and so on.

I really want to play the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings, but I need to figure out how to play Crusader Kings first!

Been meaning to try out The Long War... got as far as reinstalling the base game on my laptop. The lack of a Mac installer is putting me off.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:28 am

Buda 5, a total conversion for Independence War, transforming it into a whole campaign around Babylon 5.

I can't find it now, the original site seems to be lost to time and it isn't listed in ModDB :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:57 am

These are some I'm running at the moment:

Stop Wasting My Time - There are zillions of good XCOM 2 mods on Steam, but this is the one that gets rid of all those pointless pauses.
XVM - Essential World of Tanks mod that provides a whole load of useful in-game information.
JDoom - The pretty graphics PC Doom mod. Doesn't work with Brutal Doom, alas.
CnCddraw - Let's you play the early C&C games in widescreen on Windows 10.

T Moleman

Post by T Moleman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:14 am

Star Trek vs Star Wars total conversion mod for Star Trek Armada. Probably spent days playing this in my youth!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:45 am

Isn't that a little unbalanced, since Wars always tops Trek? ;
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Isn't that a little unbalanced, since Wars always tops Trek? ;
Incorrect!

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-vs-star-trek/

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:17 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Isn't that a little unbalanced, since Wars always tops Trek? ;
Incorrect!

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-vs-star-trek/
Yep, phasers always beat lightsabers. :lol: :wink: :D

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:31 pm

The Aliens Total Conversion for Doom is probably my favourite. I played that quite a bit on my Amiga.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:39 pm

oli_lar wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
Is that now fully released inc the Xen levels? I played it back when that was all that was available, it was great.
It's a commercial game now on Steam but you can still download the original mod. I'm not sure if the Xen levels were added yet but they're working on the game. Work on the legacy mod was discontinued however.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:32 am

BUMP! I probably get told off for bumping such an old mod; however, I thought that I would mention the "Crossfire" mod for Freelancer - it really updates the graphics(which I think it got criticised for at the time of its release). I'm not sure if it modifies the campaign or not, I'm sure I've seen one in an old PC magazine that did that. If anyone knows the name of it(it could be "Crossfire), then please feel free to post it up here. :D

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am

I am a simple person, therefore a simple answer.

The original Counterstrike.....

Did not like HL1 the game, could not get enough of Counterstrike. The one and only time I have been in clan for online gaming. Unless you count Clash of Clans, but the pace of that is far more sedate.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:21 pm

I've just seen there's another new mod for the recent X-Com reboot - it's called "The Art of War". It sort of builds on "The Long War" mod, but is significantly different in places.

I also see there's quite a few mods for Civilization V. I haven't played that version yet - and someone told me that it's going cheap on Steam at the moment. Last version of Civilization that I played was IV. I know that VI is out now.

I know that Legend of Grimrock got some mods for it a few years ago, to basically turn into Dungeon Master 1 and 2, and there's also some Eye of the Beholder mods. I think someone is working on a Captive mod.

Seems that mods are a cool thing - and perhaps a thing that PC gamers can brag about. :D