Another Metro list article- most valuable video games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Treguard

Another Metro list article- most valuable video games

Post by Treguard » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 am

Apart from the usual Metro subediting errors (T-Mek on Super Nintendo) seems a fairly believable list.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/06/if-you-ow ... s-5989366/

Although anyone who pays £1200 for Darxide needs serious help.

flatapex

Re: Another Metro list article- most valuable video games

Post by flatapex » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:29 am

The problem I have with these articles is the belief that some people actually could make thousands because they actually own these games.

Take the master system for example:
smurfs 2 never got a uk release, whether the european release happened is a bit shaky, every known copy is tracked by ms fans.

Or the snes:
no-one in their right mind bought beethoven, let alone kept it in the condition that the people that want it would expect it to be in (and as an admin of the pal snes collectors group on fb, I know these people personally)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:15 am

I remember Cool World getting absolutely panned in Game Zone. I guess no-one bought it then!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 am

Yeah, the cycle goes something like this:

Bad game -> Poor sales -> Rare -> Collectable -> High Price

Occasionally you'll get a good game that was under-appreciated at the time and didn't sell well, so is consequently a bit more difficult to find than the big hits, but even they tend to be better than the total crud that makes up the rarest games.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah, its a largely odd, obscure bunch of censored games that never made it in the first place, but download the rom anyway out of curiosity.

2 grand for that naff N64 snowboard game?? Give me a break!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:34 am

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, the cycle goes something like this:

Bad game -> Poor sales -> Rare -> Collectable -> High Price

Occasionally you'll get a good game that was under-appreciated at the time and didn't sell well, so is consequently a bit more difficult to find than the big hits, but even they tend to be better than the total crud that makes up the rarest games.
Yeah seems to be the way , or completists going for full sets , the worst selling games sometimes end up the most valuable :?
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Mortis

Post by Mortis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:04 pm

It is a terribly poor article by Love Antiques and a sobcalled expert.

Prices on most games are way off.
So many more valuable games missing.
The article itself has flaws.

I am now off to Ebay to buy Snowboard Kids 2 for a few hundred and then see if Love Antiques offer me 2k for it.

If so. I will chew their arm off... :D

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Mortis wrote:It is a terribly poor article by Love Antiques and a sobcalled expert.

Prices on most games are way off.
So many more valuable games missing.
The article itself has flaws.

I am now off to Ebay to buy Snowboard Kids 2 for a few hundred and then see if Love Antiques offer me 2k for it.

If so. I will chew their arm off... :D
Find me one for £200- £300 please , cheapest nice condition pal version i can find ( to complete my pal n64 ) was around £650 , i search daily for it , loads of ntsc ones or unboxed etc , no nice ones at all for anything reasonable .

Mortis

Post by Mortis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Thought I saw one on their around early June going for a few hundred but I just checked ebay and it must have been an NTSC-U version but the last one on Ebay sold for around 600 so my point stands that there is no way that game which is basically Mario Kart on snow is worth 2k and anyone who pays that for it deserves to be snowballed as someone is probably selling it for a 30 Australian Dollars at a jumble sale in Bong Bong NSW, as I speak as it isn't as what I would call super rare like a CIB X Zone for the Snes or CIB Lakers vs Celtics at the NBA Playoffs for the Mega Drive.

You search daily for it....isn't there an option on Ebay that can let you know if the item your looking for is available or did I dream that. Not that I like EPay much anyway.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm rich then according to the Metro as I own
Cool World Snes cib
Keio's Flying Squadren Saturn pal cib
2 X Rapid Reload PS1 pal cib Lost Dragon gave me this for free and I bought a cheap on a Amazon seller
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Mortis wrote:Thought I saw one on their around early June going for a few hundred but I just checked ebay and it must have been an NTSC-U version but the last one on Ebay sold for around 600 so my point stands that there is no way that game which is basically Mario Kart on snow is worth 2k and anyone who pays that for it deserves to be snowballed as someone is probably selling it for a 30 Australian Dollars at a jumble sale in Bong Bong NSW, as I speak as it isn't as what I would call super rare like a CIB X Zone for the Snes or CIB Lakers vs Celtics at the NBA Playoffs for the Mega Drive.

You search daily for it....isn't there an option on Ebay that can let you know if the item your looking for is available or did I dream that. Not that I like EPay much anyway.
Stops me getting bored at work !

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Mortis wrote:Thought I saw one on their around early June going for a few hundred but I just checked ebay and it must have been an NTSC-U version but the last one on Ebay sold for around 600 so my point stands that there is no way that game which is basically Mario Kart on snow is worth 2k and anyone who pays that for it deserves to be snowballed as someone is probably selling it for a 30 Australian Dollars at a jumble sale in Bong Bong NSW, as I speak as it isn't as what I would call super rare like a CIB X Zone for the Snes or CIB Lakers vs Celtics at the NBA Playoffs for the Mega Drive.
Well if somebody wants to pay that to complete a collection then that's their choice to make. Obviously, as a player and not a collector, I can't agree with paying hundreds for a game and I think it's madness BUT I'm not a collector so my view isn't really applicable.

I find it funny though that people who collect antiques such as furniture or ornaments can spent £500, £700 or a £1000 on a piece and it isn't seen as ridiculous. When somebody does the same with a game however, they get blasted for "being insane" or whatever.

Yeah, you can say that you aren't using it for what it's meant for but does an antique collector spend several hundred on some rare silver then use it for its original purpose?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Is that the PAL version of Stadium Events? I know the NTSC one is somewhat of a holy grail but our version is more common

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:41 am

I understand the antiques comparison, however antiques also have an aesthetic value and a lot cases the antique is 100+ years old. Most of this video game stuff is only 30 years old, As other people have said they are only are because they were crap, did not sell well, therefore are collectable and if you want a full set then you will need it. I am really not sure where the prices in the article came from. Darxide worth £1200, god I hope not I have seen it sell for £500 and even then I thought that was on the high side. Snowboard Kids 2, if you take a look at sold listings on ebay then a PAL cart only sold for £174:99 in May. Right now a PAL manual is for sale on a buy it now for £79:99 (+ £2:99 P&P) so going by the article that means the box on its own is worth just over £1900, I dont think so...
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 am

Still no nice mint pal copies of snowboard kids 2 , another day maybe :) , there is one £796 bin , looks rough though .