Gamesradar presents Classic Gaming Vol. 1 bookazine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Gamesradar presents Classic Gaming Vol. 1 bookazine

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:28 pm

This might have been covered before, but it's the first time I've seen it
https://m.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/ga ... ic-gaming/

Future Publishing have a go at an RG style bookazine.

It's quite nice, but covers obvious games on obvious platforms, so there isn't a whole lot to interest regular RG readers.

Still, if you must collect all of these things or have a real affinity with one of the platforms it covers it might be worth a punt.

I was tempted as it covers Speccy, but 10 quid seemed a bit much to just read simple recaps of games that have been done to death.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Gamesradar presents Classic Gaming Vol. 1 bookazine

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Saw this in WH Smith's last week, was sort of tempted by the Mega Drive bits, but on a flick through it was exactly the kind of sterile dullness that seems so prevalent in publishing these days... And as Ant said, yeah - obvious and pointless.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:55 am

That artwork makes it look like a RG publication - think IP might want to take a look at that!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:27 am

greenberet79 wrote:That artwork makes it look like a RG publication - think IP might want to take a look at that!
We pointed it out to those who might wish to pursue any action at the time, but within a week this announcement happened. Assuming final approval is granted, the similarity will be of little consequence.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 am

Ahhh.

''The acquisition will enable us to scale significantly our market position in bookazines''

Makes sense! Although... it seems a bit strange that they released a bookazine against a rival publisher they were about to buy. Why not wait and just badge it up with RG?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:26 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Makes sense! Although... it seems a bit strange that they released a bookazine against a rival publisher they were about to buy. Why not wait and just badge it up with RG?
Maybe hoping that those who buy RG bookazines will also buy another, 'different' bookazine on the same subject too? A lot of people seem to buy every single one going so perhaps there's some cunning business logic behind it all :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 pm

So is this all stuff that's not been in another magazine before then? If it is I'm interested.

Also, do Future own the rights to Your Sinclair? Definite mileage to be had in producing a 'best of' & sticking a few pages of new content in a 10 quid bookazine. I'd be all over that.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Well, I do like bookazines for sure, and the machines it covers are a good range of popular ones. Will need to google for more info as the blurb doesn't really tell you a lot aside from what machines. I guess with most Retro game books, the majority now don't really tell you anything you don't know already as we have a feast now when a few years ago it was a famine, so you look for a point of difference- packaging, quality, angle of writing. But if there's enough difference, I'd be interested for the collection. From an international customer point of view, it is quite a bit cheaper postage wise, by around ten bucks local...give or take what the exchange rate is doing. Bought their Star Wars and Fantasy Film art books a few months ago, and even when not promoting tend to be $26-$28...$20 when they are doing promo offers. By comparison RG Bookazines go around $35-$38. Have really needed to chase that up, as I know freight and post costs- Especially as far as possible on earth to the Pacific- are expensive- I still have felt for a while they are a little overinflated. Australasians tend to know post costs well as being too far away from things have little choice but to pay them, so you get to know who bumps the cost up a little, and who charges actual rate. Packaging and the like need to be factored in as well, of course. :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 pm

the_hawk wrote:So is this all stuff that's not been in another magazine before then? If it is I'm interested.

Also, do Future own the rights to Your Sinclair? Definite mileage to be had in producing a 'best of' & sticking a few pages of new content in a 10 quid bookazine. I'd be all over that.
I think there would really be a market for 'best of' historic and classic magazines into bookazines, with a 'then/now' comparison. Nostalgia sells, and mags from the 80s can be hard to find in good condition :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Was going to buy this but on flicking through it seemed quite poor with lots of games that have been covered thousands of times in the past.. Not much 8 or 16 bit for my liking even though it was featured quite heavily on the cover
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sidney

Post by sidney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Future publishing have produced some decent games magazines over the years, almost too many to mention but it was nice to see someone challenging them with magazines that offered something a bit different, Imagine produced some fine competition to Future and Retro Gamer is the jewel in the crown, in short I'm not sure a Future Publishing monopoly of magazines is a particularly great thing although I realise that they are a big fish in a pool that seems to be shrinking dramatically in size.
I hope Retro Gamer continues to be as good as it has been for all these years and that Future treat it with the respect it has earned and deserves in the gaming community. Will the Imagine brand continue as a subsidiary of Future or will it vanish altogether?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:14 am

sidney wrote:Future publishing have produced some decent games magazines over the years, almost too many to mention but it was nice to see someone challenging them with magazines that offered something a bit different, Imagine produced some fine competition to Future and Retro Gamer is the jewel in the crown, in short I'm not sure a Future Publishing monopoly of magazines is a particularly great thing although I realise that they are a big fish in a pool that seems to be shrinking dramatically in size.
I hope Retro Gamer continues to be as good as it has been for all these years and that Future treat it with the respect it has earned and deserves in the gaming community. Will the Imagine brand continue as a subsidiary of Future or will it vanish altogether?
Agreed. Monopolies are never good, nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition. And let's hope Future take the approach 'If it ain't broke' to the Imagine stable, especially RG. The fear of any takeover is the desire of the new Bosses to put their signature changes on things that don't need it :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:21 am

I decided to take a punt on this, and it arrived today in the post. It did take a bit longer than RG bookazines to arrive! :wink:

Anyway, I really like it, it is a nice layout. It basically covers just five systems (Spectrum, Amiga, Megadrive, Playstation, N64), and key titles from those machines, with a little feature on a publisher from each system as well.
It won't tell you anything you don't know already of course, and it is definitely style over substance with nice layout and photos, and certainly nowhere near as in depth as our RG ones, larger brief font on games rather than in depth interviews and histories. Pretty much a nice softcover coffee table book. It is quite lovely though, and it depends on what you like as to whether it's worth it to you or not :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:36 am

I did a little video review of this for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c0B4zcff5Q