Arcades–thrill from thought of losing money, or from game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Arcades–thrill from thought of losing money, or from gam

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:14 am

It was never about the money for me, at least not generating any excitement.

The only time money was a factor was deciding which games to put credits in. Do I try something new, knowing it might not be good or I might die quickly, or do I play something I know I like?

I've done the long walk home a few times, and it was worth every penny.

Now when I play games, I do the 1 credit option. No continues, no boosting energy, just 1 credit to get as far as I can or as high a score as I can, just like the old days. The games are better for it. Throwing cash at games just removes any challenge and as you found, gets dull quick as you stop caring and play poorly, taking risks you'd otherwise avoid.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Never, ever did the thrill come from the thought of losing money.

I'll be surprised if anyone answers any differently.
Certainly not from the same era - late 70's/80's.

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Money was a means to play a game. It was the price you paid for the entertainment - that was all. When 20p credits came along those games didn't get as much attention from me. When you're on a budget every coin counts. Dragon's Lair was a rip off as far as I was concerned - not enough playtime for your coins and I could see pretty quickly that game was nothing about skill and more about paying to get good at it through rote learning.

Paying to play certainly added a bit more spice when you were on your last life and just short of a 1UP score boundary..

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:03 pm

Oh, I dunno, I always get thrilled by the thought of losing money :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

davyK

Post by davyK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Back then , walking into an arcade , going up to the change kiosk and breaking a pound note into ten 10ps was one of life's pleasures.

Even better - breaking a fiver for four ones and 10 10s. Bliss.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:10 pm

davyK wrote:Money was a means to play a game. It was the price you paid for the entertainment - that was all.
Yep.
The last 10p was no different to me than the first 10p. There was no additional adrenaline just because I was on my last life with no more money in my pocket. The gameplay provided the excitement. I didn't hoard my money that much either. It went in the machines when it was my turn and that was it. The only time I was cautious with coins was when a new machine turned up because I preferred to watch a few games before I piled in. After the money ran out I watched others play and hung around soaking up the atmosphere. Eventually my money started going further.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:26 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:It was never about the money for me, at least not generating any excitement.

The only time money was a factor was deciding which games to put credits in. Do I try something new, knowing it might not be good or I might die quickly, or do I play something I know I like?

I've done the long walk home a few times, and it was worth every penny.

Now when I play games, I do the 1 credit option. No continues, no boosting energy, just 1 credit to get as far as I can or as high a score as I can, just like the old days. The games are better for it. Throwing cash at games just removes any challenge and as you found, gets dull quick as you stop caring and play poorly, taking risks you'd otherwise avoid.
Agreed. The only time money 'sort of' came into it was the pride in how long you could play on one coin. And I still enjoy playing the classics on a home cab despite it being freeplay. It's about how long one game can last/or score PBs :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:32 am

The absolute worst is when you've put in a credit and the controls are knackered. So frustrating.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:25 am

For me it was about the thrill of playing Games that at the time weren't available in the home but you knew were coming to a console near you soon :) either a SEGA Machine or a NAMCO game coming to Sony PlayStation. I remember playing Virtua Racing in the Arcades before it hit the Mega Drive and I for sure remember playing SEGA Rally before I saw it on Saturn. That was the thrill for me. The thought of losing money didn't bother me at all.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

space_ace

Post by space_ace » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:58 am

Oh yes of course, money was a HUGE factor in gameplay, and everything to do with playing arcade games. If you had a few extra pounds from somewhere, like a birthday or something, you were automatically happier than if you had about a quid! If I could complete the game in one credit, then I felt like I had beaten the system, I felt like I had got one over on the big, fat cat organizations. If I got wasted early on, then I felt they had sucked the life out of me financially; just being there, just that feeling when you put your sweaty palms into a pocket full of those big old bulky ten pence’s was sheer bliss. Like the original poster said, the thrill level isn’t quite there anymore, you don’t have anything riding on it – you don’t suffer as a result, you just press a button and start again.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm

I very rarely got chance to go to the arcades in the 80's. But when my parents took me we went for a good length of time, not 5 minutes. The excitement of what the hell to pick next to play was brill seeing as there was so much there that was just 10/20p.

I never wanted the fun to stop so when that last 10p I had had finally gone I was gutted. Shoulders hung low and dragging my feet because I just did not want to go.

If I ever played a game that ended quickly due to being too hard I just put that down to experience and move on.

It was gutting though if like it has already been said, the controls were bust. I always seemed to find driving games with wheels that would only steer one way :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:02 am

Borf wrote:Good post, thank you for replying,

Yes, it’s a good point, and it could be a whole new topic in itself. How much money I had on me definitely determined which games I would play on – Defender and Defender Stargate spring to mind; I loved them both but it was almost impossible to have any kind of lengthy game, so if I played either, I would be desperate to hold onto my ship as long as possible.

I also like your point about one credit – continuing always felt like cheating back in the day, but then games came along like Smash TV et al where you had almost no chance of completing the game on one go. There is the thrill of wanting to get as far as you can, agreed, but again, that only goes so far if you are playing at home for free – I still enjoy them, I still get a kick out of them, but for me personally, nothing beats that thrill of having bullets fly at you from all over the screen, knowing losing your ship will mean that your funds will deplete quicker.
Yeah, I know what you're saying, there's a good amount of truth in that...and when you're a kid, the stakes of a coin going in double quick time are a lot higher for sure! If you had a few bucks to spend, you might risk a new game, or a game you enjoy but know you don't last long on (Defender for me too- adored it but was hopeless on it) early on in your session, but later on with only several coins left you'd gravitate towards games you know you could play for ages on. Pooyan! Could play that game for ages.
Another point could be demographic- Some kids with more pocket money from Parents with deep pockets, or after school jobs may have been a little more gung ho when it came to stepping up to new or notoriously tough games. Me, I only had the paper round and most funds were devoted to the ZX81 software :lol:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:07 am

Mainly for the thrill of a game. Sometimes it was nice to try something different. I think my mother was sort of worried one time on a family holiday in Devon, when I pumping coins into Gauntlet like a madman. :lol: I did sort of baulk when some games required 20 p rather than 10 p. Actually, on that subject - remember when the new thinner 10 pence pieces came out(sometime in the early 1990s) - and I do remember the local arcade had to change their coin slots to allow for that.

I do remember thinking that 50 p was too much for things like Ridge Racer, Sega Rally and Daytona. I was like "come on - this is getting expensive!". :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:09 am

Katzkatz wrote:I did sort of baulk when some games required 20 p rather than 10 p.
This was always a tough decision. Do you play one newer 20p game, or two of the older 10p ones? A fine balancing act between trying out the new attractions and playing old favourites, made worse with the introduction of Space Harrier and Outrun at 5p.

I remember playing Typhoon a lot because it was cheap, and Sega's Turbo was well worth passing on a 20p game for.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:57 am

Loved arcade machines but never met a person whoever completed fully an actual arcade game.

I always think about the Simpsons episode with Homer learning how to beat Bart by going to a kid in the arcades and then nearly beating him until Marge pulled the plug. :lol: