Five 8-bit Games You'd Still Play Today

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Five 8-bit Games You'd Still Play Today

Post by joefish » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:33 pm

OK, we've had plenty of 'Your favourite games on platform - X' threads, but it looks to me like there's a lot of nostalgia involved and maybe not a list of games that still stand up as necessarily worth anyone else looking up and playing. So here's a slight variation.

Pick your favourite 8-bit platform - computer or console, Amstrad, Atari, C64, Speccy, MSX, NES, MS, Colecovision, GameBoy, etc.
Then list five games on it you're still happy to get stuck into today. Not just some tat your dear old Mum bought you that means everything to you and everyone else says is rubbish, but games that provide a challenge, have an addictive hook, have genre-beating graphics and playability. And let's include up-to-date remakes, demakes and homebrew too, just so long as it actually runs on the real bit of hardware.

But remember, five games for just your favourite one retro 8-bit platform.

And to start off, I'm going to repeat my list of 5 favourite games for the Speccy - what else?

ZX Spectrum:
  • Manic Miner - 1983 - The original and best, and still a platforming challenge.
  • Buzzsaw+ - 2011 - Well, I would, but I wanted a falling-blocks game just like this so I wrote one.
  • Chronos (48K) - 1987 - Lots of fun to be had from a simple scrolling shooter.
  • DreamWalker - 2014 - Pretty platforming puzzles galore.
  • The Dark - 2016 - Startling good FPS on a Speccy; the fully spoken intro alone is mind-blowing.

PostieDoc

Re: Five 8-bit Games You'd Still Play Today

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:56 pm

Five games I still play on the Speccy today are:

1. Vulcan
2. Bubble Bobble
3. Target: Renegade
4. Spy vs Spy
5. The Great Escape

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:58 pm

you know, it took this question to make me realise... I don't play any 8-bit games any more these days! Which kinda made me feel a bit sad, but I still love reading about them.
But IF I were to play some 8-bit games right now, the top 5 contenders would likely be :

1. Davids Midnight Magic (Apple II) : I can get over a million on it and its a hard game.. one of the few games I can say i'm pretty decent at. A great game though.
2. Wonderboy (C64) : for me anyway one of the most underrated conversions ever, a cracking game.
3. Beyond Castle Wolfenstein (Apple II) : I'd love to have had a chat with the creator, Silas, before he died, would have loved to have known more about this game in particular.
4. Salamander (C64) : I prefer this conversion to the arcade version
5. Bubble Bobble (C64) : amazing conversion, amazing game. They gave it 98% at the time I think, and deservedly so.

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Nuts to the 8bit micro era. There were some great ideas developed but it was ruined for me by tape loading (+ bloody multi-loads), crap difficulty curves and dodgy attempts at games that were just too ambitious for the slow clock speeds. The BBC was a fast machine but I never got the chance to play a lot on it due to its price.

8 bit is all about the Atari 2600 for me. Instant loading, and games crafted by the masters. The best of the library can still be played today. Yes it's an underpowered machine based on 70s architecture , but the best of its games are fast, challenging and timeless.

Apart from Thrust, Chuckie Egg and Jet Set Willy (all excellent) I wouldn't play anything on an 8 bit micro (OK - I'd play atari 800 cart games but that's not the same), but there are loads of 2600 games I play via the Harmony. 60hz versions for the full experience.

My favourites

Megamania Early shmup on the 2600 with proper waves and loops. Excellent looks and sounds. I rolled this over back in the day.

Kaboom! Earliest example I can think of the twitch / in-the-zone game. Mesmerising and has to be played at 60Hz. We were short-changed in the PAL region on this one as its all about the speed. In the 80s I could score over 300,000 on this. Playing the PAL60 version now I rarely top 20,000 - faster game and slower me!

Warlords Very fond of the 2600 original but the home-brew remake called Medieval Mayhem improves upon it a great deal. Still would play the original though. One of the best multi-player games around even today. Needs paddles though.

Super Breakout A perfect game as far as I'm concerned on the 2600. Its 4 modes provide all the variation the genre needs and makes Arkanoid look a bit clumsy such is the elegance of Classic, Double , Cavity and Progressive modes. Paddle control too - this doesn't need anything else added. For once the PAL version is superior with a larger display and similar speed to the NTSC version.

Yars' Revenge Lovely original game (though based on Star Castle). Why the hell hasn't there been a modern sequel to this?
Last edited by davyK on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:34 pm

What I still play and played recently on my breadbin Commodore 64

Bruce Lee easy to finish but so good

Willow Pattern

Gem X

Elidion with the fairy

Last Ninja Remix cart animated intro cut scenes great graphics

Equaliser Wonderboy rip off which is fab

And Atari 2600 H.E.R.O what a mighty game all the Activision stuff is great
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:02 pm

There are loads of 8 bit games that are just as ace today. 5 of the best

The Wild Bunch
Archon
Yes Prime Minister
Atic Atac
C64 Buggy Boy

For all their better graphics and sound, there are no modern games that offer similar but better gameplay.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:35 pm

BBC Micro:

1. Chuckie Egg - pure platforming at its best.
2. Repton 3 - still don't get tired of going back and puzzling my way through it.
3. Free Fall - remains great fun to play and there's really nothing else quite like it.
4. The Sorcerer - gets a touch repetitive, but the unique gameplay makes for an enjoyable high-score challenge.
5. Imogen - Another 'comfortable' puzzle game, with satisfying teasers that still hold up today.

If there was any proof required that I wasn't just picking my favourites, you may notice that Stryker's Run is a glaring omission from that list. ;) I love the game but it gets unfairly (and artificially) difficult after a while, and in general just doesn't have the staying power of those listed above in the modern age.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Commodore 64

1. Paradroid
2. Elite
3. First Samurai
4. Pitstop II
5. Manic Mansion

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:48 am

Man, plenty. Obviously all the classic arcade games for a start...one of the main machines I play at home is an arcade cab with icade 60 in 1 built in. To me these games are timeless. But in terms of console or computer, just off the top of my head- For C64

Lode Runner
Sentinal
Castle Wolfenstein
Uridium
Any infocom text adventure
Last edited by kiwimike on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:28 am

Hard there are tons, though even though I class myself as a Speccy guy none make it in my top ten ?!? - weird.

Elite (BBC)
The Ninja (SMS)
Master Of Darkness (SMS)
IK+ (C64)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Near Misses

Metroid (NES)
Legend Of Zelda (NES)
Wonderboy III (SMS)
Alex Kidd In Miracle World (SMS)
Turican II (C64)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:17 am

On the C64 the games I find myself playing more often are:

- Power Drift
- Outrun Europa
- Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
- Ghostbusters
- Samurai Warrior

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:28 am

Thought we were supposed to stick to one platform folks!!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:53 am

davyK wrote:Thought we were supposed to stick to one platform folks!!
Good reminder! As i was going through the thread, I was planning a range of them, but as it stands I'll stick to the Gameboy (but slightly cheat by adding the GBC!)

Tetris (and DX)
Zelda Links Awakening (DX)
Solomons Club
Motocross Maniacs
Super Mario Land (and 2)

Some great shouts already on here for C64 games - my overall favourite 8 bit non-handheld system. The Gameboy though has some great pick up and play puzzle games that will never age.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:28 am

For NES
1) Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
2) Faxanadu
3) Legend of Zelda
4) Fantastic Dizzy
5) Wizards & Warriors

For GB/GBC
1,2 & 3) Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages & Seasons
4) Donkey Kong
5) Mystic Quest

For SMS
1) Wonder Boy in Monster Land
2) Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap
3) Batman Returns
4) Phantasy Star
5) Space Harrier

There are too many other games that deserve a mention to list on all these lists. Roll on the 16 bit lists?
Last edited by SpockIOM on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:56 am

Okay, just one platform at a time? Fair enough, I was gonna spread a bit heh...

So for the C64, I'd say... Impossible Mission, IK+, Dropzone, Paradroid (but the speeded up version), Thrust.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...