Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5465
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I've not missed the point, I'm just not its target market as to me its just a highly limited rom emulator machine in a cutesy package, with a Nintendo logo on it. I get why people might get excited by it, but I personally have no interest and don't feel it is worth 60 notes. This is not NES true hardware or a re-issuing of genuine hardware (unless I'm mistaken?), so its essentially the same as playing a small batch of ROMs that Nintendo have chosen with the gimmick of it being another bit of kit to clutter (even if its small, which is at least a positive).

I'm more likely to just buy the NES controller than the "console" itself to use with the Wii. This seems fairly appetising, if the controller works in the same way as the classic controller (and can also be used on the various Wii emulators, beyond the VC!!). I would rather agree that the Mini-NES will be another dust collector though.
That it's not appealing to you I get, but why - whenever any of these devices come out - does someone always feel the need to suggest that you could just play pirate copies of the games on existing kit as if we don't already know that? The point for those of us who are interested is that it's a rare opportunity to pick up a bunch of these games without donning our cutlasses, parrots and eye patches, and that really shouldn't need spelling out.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:26 am

Matt_B wrote:
That it's not appealing to you I get, but why - whenever any of these devices come out - does someone always feel the need to suggest that you could just play pirate copies of the games on existing kit as if we don't already know that? The point for those of us who are interested is that it's a rare opportunity to pick up a bunch of these games without donning our cutlasses, parrots and eye patches, and that really shouldn't need spelling out.
I only said that from my own perspective that I didn't have any nostalgia for the NES and that I had a plethora of devices which would do exactly the same thing and probably better (emulate the NES). If others want to buy it for whatever their motives, then so be it, as I'm certainly not stopping them. But I be a pirate and proud, yarr!

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:33 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Two buttons mind

So wont work with a lot of games
True, but should work with the NES emulator FCE, and probably a few other of the 8 bit consoles/handhelds emulators. If the controllers about a tenner, I may bite, as I think it probably would be nicer to hold that the Wii-mote sideways!
Image
About a tenner
Got a gold one of these

REALLY REALLY comfortable, if the Wii is hacked to play Gamecube games via GXloader they can be played on it

Fighting games are a bit of a git

Unlike the NES controller shape it dont hurt after a few hours

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 am

Matt_B wrote:
The Beans wrote:It's not overpriced but it's certainly a gimmicky way to sell a compilation. I'd rather see those thirty NES games released as a digital package on the PS4 or Xbox One. I'd buy that for sure but I'm not interested in this mini thingy at all.
Yeah, but come on. That's about as likely as Halo and Uncharted compilations coming out for the Wii U. Smartphone fodder aside, Nintendo want you to buy their hardware to play their games on and that'll always be the case so long as they're making it.
Yes, all very obvious and noted about a million times by everybody who has ever posted on this forum. Yawn, that you even bothered.

I was just expressing a preference. In truth, nothing will make me buy a piece of Nintendo hardware to play old NES, SNES or N64 games however much Nintendo want that. That's me and millions of other people. Stick those thirty games on the PS4 with trophies attached and I'm likely on it like a cheap suit though. It's easy money. Easier than sticking thirty games in a miniature replica of an old console and marketing it to retro hipsters. Go figure.

Nintendo: smart but dumb. Always.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:55 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote: Image
About a tenner
Got a gold one of these

REALLY REALLY comfortable, if the Wii is hacked to play Gamecube games via GXloader they can be played on it

Fighting games are a bit of a git

Unlike the NES controller shape it dont hurt after a few hours
I wouldn't mind one of those at a tenner. I've got the standard classic controllers which do the job but the pros do look better

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5465
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:09 am

The Beans wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
The Beans wrote:It's not overpriced but it's certainly a gimmicky way to sell a compilation. I'd rather see those thirty NES games released as a digital package on the PS4 or Xbox One. I'd buy that for sure but I'm not interested in this mini thingy at all.
Yeah, but come on. That's about as likely as Halo and Uncharted compilations coming out for the Wii U. Smartphone fodder aside, Nintendo want you to buy their hardware to play their games on and that'll always be the case so long as they're making it.
Yes, all very obvious and noted about a million times by everybody who has ever posted on this forum. Yawn, that you even bothered.

I was just expressing a preference. In truth, nothing will make me buy a piece of Nintendo hardware to play old NES, SNES or N64 games however much Nintendo want that. That's me and millions of other people. Stick those thirty games on the PS4 with trophies attached and I'm likely on it like a cheap suit though. It's easy money. Easier than sticking thirty games in a miniature replica of an old console and marketing it to retro hipsters. Go figure.

Nintendo: smart but dumb. Always.
If you're that uninterested in Nintendo hardware I can only suggest that you leave the discussion to those of us who are.

Your preference is noted, but nothing I've not heard before and totally unrealistic in the light of Nintendo's business model.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:11 am

The Beans wrote:
Nintendo: smart but dumb. Always.
People buy Nintendo products for Nintendo games

So Nintendo make games only for there systems
If they did for other systems there would be no point in them making systems

English Invader
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by English Invader » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:33 am

I'm kind of interested in the new NES as a collector's item. The only thing that stops me from placing an order is that I don't have an HD ready TV yet and the NES-mini has no support for composite or RGB but maybe that could be a boot up the backside for me to get something done in that regard.

Maybe if the new NES does well, they'll make a new handheld one for the original Gameboy. I would like to see more of these as I like the philosophy behind it. Nintendo have been a bit backwards in terms of releasing compilations of their old games but, as always, they're doing it in their own time and in their own way.

User avatar
retrojc
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by retrojc » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:15 pm

I pre-ordred from Amazon, looks like a nice tidy unit, a little conscious of the molding of the plastic, note sure if the quality is there. Still, if they do this for the SNES and N64, I'll be taking my collections to ebay.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26883
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:12 pm

DPrinny wrote:So Nintendo make games only for there systems
If they did for other systems there would be no point in them making systems
Systems like iOS and Android, home to what's currently their biggest hit for a while, gaining them mass media coverage and a massive userbase?

The suggestion to punt their back catalogue onto other platforms isn't radical.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:So Nintendo make games only for there systems
If they did for other systems there would be no point in them making systems
Systems like iOS and Android, home to what's currently their biggest hit for a while, gaining them mass media coverage and a massive userbase?

The suggestion to punt their back catalogue onto other platforms isn't radical.
Now for the shocker

THEY DIDNT MAKE POKEMON GO!!

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5465
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 pm

Yeah, licensing their IP to third parties to make Nintendo themed versions of existing games is pretty much all they've done so far. And in doing that they're just following in the footsteps of what Sony and Microsoft started to do years ago; heck, the latter even put out a good game on iOS and Android in the form of Wordament, let alone a selection of shallow turds that are monetized to hell and back.

And seriously guys, I'd think someone would need to be a retarded troll to go onto an Xbox or PlayStation discussion and suggest that Sony or Microsoft should port some of the crown jewels in their back catalogue to a Nintendo platform. Yet there seems to be a genuine belief that the reverse of that is somehow a reasonable thing to ask for. I just don't get it at all.

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:45 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:So Nintendo make games only for there systems
If they did for other systems there would be no point in them making systems
Systems like iOS and Android, home to what's currently their biggest hit for a while, gaining them mass media coverage and a massive userbase?

The suggestion to punt their back catalogue onto other platforms isn't radical.
Now for the shocker

THEY DIDNT MAKE POKEMON GO!!
No but as part-owners of the Pokémon Company they make money out of it; the astounding success of the game has seen their shares soaring after a couple of years in the doldrums.

It gives them a headache, in the sense that there must be some worry that their franchises appearing on mobiles will eat into sales of their handhelds. But it's a nice problem to have.
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5465
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:56 pm

killbot wrote:No but as part-owners of the Pokémon Company they make money out of it; the astounding success of the game has seen their shares soaring after a couple of years in the doldrums.

It gives them a headache, in the sense that there must be some worry that their franchises appearing on mobiles will eat into sales of their handhelds. But it's a nice problem to have.
I'd be very surprised if they did. Let's face it, love it or loathe it - and personally I'm rather indifferent - the mainline Pokemon games are massive time sinks you can throw hundreds of hours into before you've completed them, while Go is a throwaway game that you might get out for five minutes while you're on a walk somewhere. I'd expect a lot of people who've played Go to graduate on to the full games, and drive Nintendo's hardware sales in the process, but relatively little drift in the opposite direction. And when everyone's paying £40 a pop for a game there's a lot more money to be made than when most are playing it for free, with only a relatively small proportion of whales pumping money into the microtransactions.

Still, maybe I'm wrong and this is just the beginning of the slide of their hardware business down the toilet and the transition into a brave new future as a smartphone and tablet developer. However; that's a business fraught with risk and most of the developers who've made it big on the back of one game have really struggled to match its success with anything else they've made. As such, even if that's the case, I doubt they'll be wishing to accelerate the process by offering full featured games on other platforms until all of theirs are stone cold dead.

kiwimike
Posts: 3696
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:42 am

This thing is mega cute, has 30 pretty good games included and priced for the nostalgic collector. No doubt it'll sell by the ton. Pretty obvious why they have not online abilities, considering most of the machines that have them aren't used in legal ways! Would not be surprised if it's followed by SNES Jnr as well :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests