Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:51 am

It's been quite the week for Nintendo, that's for sure.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:47 am

I'll probably pick one of these up at some point but not on release, It looks like a nice tidy unit and the pricing isn't bad really when you take into equation how much the games cost to buy in original and VC formats.

On a related note...
Now if Sega produced a Master System version that mimics the Master System 2, that would be a definite pre-order from myself :mrgreen:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:50 am

greenberet79 wrote:It's been quite the week for Nintendo, that's for sure.
Yeah, their share price has gone up 50% in five days to a five year high. That's not a bad haul for a knock-off smartphone game and a retro console. I suspect it's mostly down to Pokemon Go taking off in a big way, but it saw a much bigger bump today so this announcement probably added a chunk to the feelgood factor.

They've still a way to go to get back to the halcyon days of the Wii and DS but, if the NX is any good, who knows?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:35 am

Ordered! :mrgreen:

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:45 am

ArchaicKoala wrote: On a related note...
Now if Sega produced a Master System version that mimics the Master System 2, that would be a definite pre-order from myself :mrgreen:
Tectoy have released a few such products in Brazil like the Master System Evolution:
http://segaretro.org/Master_System_Evolution

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:56 am

I think I may just save the money for a DVLA fixed penalty speeding fine instead. I get people will go gooey over it because they are collectors and that soothes their soul somehow, but personally I find many NES games haven't aged all that well (also I never had a NES when I was a kid anyway so don't have any nostalgia for it), and given that I have a Wii with every single one of those 30 games on the Virtual Console already (via VC wads, so I'm sure equally as "pure" in terms of accuracy) and on numerous other systems, it would just be a under-used gimmick for me.

Might peak my interest if it can be hacked so that the full NES romset could be played on it (although it appears that won't be the case, and its the 30 games and thats it). Even at that relatively low pricepoint for the system, its 2016, so I suspect it still has a processor more capable than the original Wii to emulate NES games on. Probably won't happen though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:01 am

On the slightly more useful front

Only downside is the controller placement

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:09 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I think I may just save the money for a DVLA fixed penalty speeding fine instead.
:lol:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:34 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I think I may just save the money for a DVLA fixed penalty speeding fine instead. I get people will go gooey over it because they are collectors and that soothes their soul somehow, but personally I find many NES games haven't aged all that well (also I never had a NES when I was a kid anyway so don't have any nostalgia for it), and given that I have a Wii with every single one of those 30 games on the Virtual Console already (via VC wads, so I'm sure equally as "pure" in terms of accuracy) and on numerous other systems, it would just be a under-used gimmick for me.

Might peak my interest if it can be hacked so that the full NES romset could be played on it (although it appears that won't be the case, and its the 30 games and thats it). Even at that relatively low pricepoint for the system, its 2016, so I suspect it still has a processor more capable than the original Wii to emulate NES games on. Probably won't happen though.
That's rather missing the point, I'd say. This being the Retro Gamer forum I'd think it a reasonable bet that every last one of us either already knows precisely what they'd have to do to set up something or other with a complete NES ROM set, or has already done so on a bunch of different devices.

Rather, this is all about the aesthetics of the machine and it being a genuine Nintendo product. Those of us who'll be buying this will do so because it looks the part and perhaps to legitimize the ownership of some games we've not been able to source carts for, not because we've not already got umpteen different ways of playing the games. That said, the ability to use the controllers with a Wii or Wii U should be a nice bonus and might add an extra touch of authenticity to the virtual console if the build quality is up to snuff.

I'd bet that most of the mass market who gets it will just play it for a week and stick it in a cupboard to gather dust, as is usual for such devices though.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:46 am

It's not overpriced but it's certainly a gimmicky way to sell a compilation. I'd rather see those thirty NES games released as a digital package on the PS4 or Xbox One. I'd buy that for sure but I'm not interested in this mini thingy at all.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:00 am

Matt_B wrote: That's rather missing the point, I'd say. This being the Retro Gamer forum I'd think it a reasonable bet that every last one of us either already knows precisely what they'd have to do to set up something or other with a complete NES ROM set, or has already done so on a bunch of different devices.

Rather, this is all about the aesthetics of the machine and it being a genuine Nintendo product. Those of us who'll be buying this will do so because it looks the part and perhaps to legitimize the ownership of some games we've not been able to source carts for, not because we've not already got umpteen different ways of playing the games. That said, the ability to use the controllers with a Wii or Wii U should be a nice bonus and might add an extra touch of authenticity to the virtual console if the build quality is up to snuff.

I'd bet that most of the mass market who gets it will just play it for a week and stick it in a cupboard to gather dust, as is usual for such devices though.
I've not missed the point, I'm just not its target market as to me its just a highly limited rom emulator machine in a cutesy package, with a Nintendo logo on it. I get why people might get excited by it, but I personally have no interest and don't feel it is worth 60 notes. This is not NES true hardware or a re-issuing of genuine hardware (unless I'm mistaken?), so its essentially the same as playing a small batch of ROMs that Nintendo have chosen with the gimmick of it being another bit of kit to clutter (even if its small, which is at least a positive).

I'm more likely to just buy the NES controller than the "console" itself to use with the Wii. This seems fairly appetising, if the controller works in the same way as the classic controller (and can also be used on the various Wii emulators, beyond the VC!!). I would rather agree that the Mini-NES will be another dust collector though.
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:02 am

Two buttons mind

So wont work with a lot of games
This isnt one of those retrobit bluetooth monstrositys that has six buttons (four face, two up top) and has the NES colour scheme on it
Last edited by DPrinny on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:03 am

DPrinny wrote:Two buttons mind

So wont work with a lot of games
True, but should work with the NES emulator FCE, and probably a few other of the 8 bit consoles/handhelds emulators. If the controllers about a tenner, I may bite, as I think it probably would be nicer to hold that the Wii-mote sideways!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:16 am

The Beans wrote:It's not overpriced but it's certainly a gimmicky way to sell a compilation. I'd rather see those thirty NES games released as a digital package on the PS4 or Xbox One. I'd buy that for sure but I'm not interested in this mini thingy at all.
Yeah, but come on. That's about as likely as Halo and Uncharted compilations coming out for the Wii U. Smartphone fodder aside, Nintendo want you to buy their hardware to play their games on and that'll always be the case so long as they're making it.