Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes, you would think it makes marketing sense to announce the last batch will be produced, and allow who wants one to order one- and allow say a month for those orders. Keeps their customers happy, gives them cash in the till and pisses off the scalpers.

I just had a phone around, and found one. Decided to buy one before the decision is taken away from you

***Edited add on. Didn't put on hold, sold out :lol: Not the end of the world of course- if I'd REALLY wanted one I would've preordered, but the guys in games stores round our local city were bewildered. They were saying in the space of the afternoon, the overnight news it was discontinued made it go ballistic and sell out, everywhere.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:46 am

I understand why people think there is something fishy going on but Nintendo don't make all their money selling directly with the fans though their own website - they sell to retailers.

if the retailers don't order the amount of units that will make it profitable for Nintendo to manufacture units, Nintendo won't manufacture units. I don't know what the margin is on hardware but software generally has a 80 - 100% markup from manufacturer to retail - typically a video game is sold to a retailer for £17 - £20 ish, retails for £40 - £50. I imagine for something like nes mini, because theres no attach rate for software, retailers will want a high markup on the hardware.

this means the nes mini is small fry to the money Nintendo and retailers make on the switch.

also the distribution cost will be the same and manufacturing costs are probably similar for both considering the all the different elements going into making a console to sit in a shop, meaning less margin all round.

it is a pretty nice little console though, so I understand people being miffed
Last edited by HEAVYface on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:33 am

I get the sense it was always intended as a short-term product. Wii U was on its last legs by last Christmas, the best days of 3DS were behind rather than ahead of it and and Switch wasn't out until March so they presumably wanted something Nintendo branded that could maintain a presence in stores over the Festive period. Only due to the unexpected demand it was impossible to find in stores anyway!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Well, whether it was intentional or not on Nintendo's part, I still stand by my sentiment that it's just too much hassle to buy Nintendo stuff sometimes. I thought gaming was supposed to be enjoyable/relaxing!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:09 pm

killbot wrote:I get the sense it was always intended as a short-term product. Wii U was on its last legs by last Christmas, the best days of 3DS were behind rather than ahead of it and and Switch wasn't out until March so they presumably wanted something Nintendo branded that could maintain a presence in stores over the Festive period. Only due to the unexpected demand it was impossible to find in stores anyway!
Yet the funny thing is, more people would rather buy one of these right now than the switch :lol:

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:56 pm

samhain81 wrote:
killbot wrote:I get the sense it was always intended as a short-term product. Wii U was on its last legs by last Christmas, the best days of 3DS were behind rather than ahead of it and and Switch wasn't out until March so they presumably wanted something Nintendo branded that could maintain a presence in stores over the Festive period. Only due to the unexpected demand it was impossible to find in stores anyway!
Yet the funny thing is, more people would rather buy one of these right now than the switch :lol:
2.4 million sales in a month and Ninty having to ramp up production suggests otherwise

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:58 am

Well, one day after the local stores still had them basically got cleaned out, out of interest I went onto our nation version of ebay (Trade me) to find several already there, with at least 100% markup on them. Suppose it could have been worse! But no way will I assist in a scalper getting the profit they seek. Don't think they will care though, as many others will and bids are placed already :lol:
I'd be more inclined to head to the site mentioned several pages ago on this topic, which have a excellent range of NES/Megadrive etc handheld and consoles with multicarts. Used them before and found pretty good cheap n cheerful stuff of it that does the job. And an awesome place to get GBC and GBA clones with backlit screens

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:06 am

killbot wrote:
samhain81 wrote:
2.4 million sales in a month and Ninty having to ramp up production suggests otherwise
Scalpers.....................

But its not like stores dont have stock

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:11 am

Just went into town to pay car rego...long story short I popped into a local appliance stock rather than game shop to have a look, yep, got a shipment of half a doz in. So bought one. No spare controller though- They didn't realise in the shop it only came with one. I was half tempted to buy two and sell one to make enough extra to pay for one- But couldn't do it. I've been bitching about what scalpers have been doing to our games industry and couldn't bring myself to be such a hypocrite. So just posted on FB in case others still want one.

Checked online- the amount of units for sale since the weekend, with at least 100% markup on retail has ballooned. I hope the scalpers get stuck, but judging by some of the buyers questions, probably not.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 am

Local CeX now asking £190 for one... sod that for a game of soldiers!

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 am

What do we make of this? http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/news/sne ... this-year/

Wishful thinking? What are the credible sources?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:14 pm

JamesC wrote:What do we make of this? http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/news/sne ... this-year/

Boy, I can't wait not to be able to buy that

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Seems odd when ensuring the Switch has a successful first Christmas should be their top priority. Even then, they're still supporting the 3DS too so they should have enough releases for the holiday period not to have to rely on another plug n play.

Then again, maybe it just did better then they expected. I'm hopeful they can learn from the NES Mini, they did so when scalpers were nabbing all the first amiibo waves (Granted I can't find the BOTW or Zelda anniversary amiibo anywhere, but I'm certain they'll restock those eventually.), they can learn from this. Even if the lifespan is just 6 months again, they could easily double or triple production. :lol:

Mind you, there'll be 3 models for Collectors (UK SNES, Super Famicom, and the American redesign alone with purple buttons), not to mention my Club Nintendo SNES Wii Controller will be less special, lol. T.T

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:13 pm

JamesC wrote:What do we make of this? http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/news/sne ... this-year/

Not Funstock for sure. Entirely possible this is nothing more than clickbait, I wouldn't put it past them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:37 pm

And if you thought £190 in CeX was bad, I saw this in a store called Gadc-et (A knock off of CeX but even more pricey and green instead of red).

http://laprasking.deviantart.com/art/Ouch-675167152