Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:20 am

killbot wrote:
Russian hackers doing something good for once.
What about the 3DO USB drive replacement

I see your point

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:19 pm

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/n ... ic-edition

Looks like they have given up making them

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 pm

DPrinny wrote:http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/n ... ic-edition

Looks like they have given up making them

It seemed pretty obvious that it was a stopgap for Nintendo to have something out there for Christmas, No new console ready and the WiiU dead. They put this to market to take advantage of the Holiday period and never really intended to be a long term thing.

Get ready for the Snes version next time Nintendo are having a slow period.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Out of interest (I didn't keep up with what was going on) did they at least ever sort the stock issues out so that anybody could walk into a shop and buy one for standard RRP? Did they fix that before discontinuing it?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Megamixer wrote:Out of interest (I didn't keep up with what was going on) did they at least ever sort the stock issues out so that anybody could walk into a shop and buy one for standard RRP? Did they fix that before discontinuing it?
No, they never did. Unless you got lucky and managed to get into a store ahead of the scalpers when new stock arrived, your chances of picking one up like that were slim.

As for why they're dropping it, I can only guess that it was intended to be a seasonal stop-gap and they'd much rather that everyone went out and bought a Switch now that it's out. The ease with which it could be hacked and have the entire NES catalogue dumped onto it probably didn't go down too well in Kyoto either.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Out of interest (I didn't keep up with what was going on) did they at least ever sort the stock issues out so that anybody could walk into a shop and buy one for standard RRP? Did they fix that before discontinuing it?
No, they never did. Unless you got lucky and managed to get into a store ahead of the scalpers when new stock arrived, your chances of picking one up like that were slim.

As for why they're dropping it, I can only guess that it was intended to be a seasonal stop-gap and they'd much rather that everyone went out and bought a Switch now that it's out. The ease with which it could be hacked and have the entire NES catalogue dumped onto it probably didn't go down too well in Kyoto either.
It's a very good point about the rom dumping that you could do to it in the end. Even though most people who would want all the roms would just have a pi or something else of that nature to run them rather than a new classic.

Also if the scalpers never bothered with the system in the first place would Nintendo of needed to make many more regardless? Nintendo stated they did not want to be left with lots of unsold inventory which could be true. I mean there is still loads of the system out there it's just they are in the wrong hands at the moment.

Still does not excuse the fact that Nintendo screwed up and did not make enough at first for the Christmas period.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:15 am

Nope, scalpers got almost all of them the moment they went on sale
Matt_B wrote:

Not the entire NES library, it could only hold about 80 titles

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:09 am

Sure there is a hack to get around 700 titles now. Just shows how little space you need these days to store lots of games.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am

silvergunner wrote:Sure there is a hack to get around 700 titles now. Just shows how little space you need these days to store lots of games.

Surely the entire NES library wouldn't even be 1gb?

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 am

Nintendo are getting some serious flack for this on social media.
I have to say they aren't doing much to dispel the notion that they don't care about what their customers want.
It's ridiculous that they couldn't get enough of these out to keep up with demand.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am

Negative Creep wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Sure there is a hack to get around 700 titles now. Just shows how little space you need these days to store lots of games.

Surely the entire NES library wouldn't even be 1gb?
And the ones people would actually want to play is probabiliy even less

My NES Everdrive SD card is 2GB, but I have a few dupes

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 pm

If they stop now then this could be a serious collectors item.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:57 pm

JamesC wrote:Nintendo are getting some serious flack for this on social media.
I have to say they aren't doing much to dispel the notion that they don't care about what their customers want.
It's ridiculous that they couldn't get enough of these out to keep up with demand.
They created a false supply/demand bullsh*t situation to drive hype and I don't believe the not wanting to be left with unsold inventory excuse. They could have easily manufactured a meaty second production run and sold it all without any units left lying around in warehouses.

They have their roots in toys and toy manufacturers pull the same stunts all the time. Remember the Buzz Lightyear action figure "shortage"?

Honestly, Nintendo is just too much hassle to buy products from sometimes. I can't be bothered with all the "stock shortages", scalpers, instantly sold-out LE's and related crap. Let me go into a shop and buy something for the genuine RRP whenever I want. If I can't then I'm certainly not jumping through hoops for your product.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:33 pm

It's pretty sad, they've created more demand with this announcement, scalpers are having a field day. Still...things are only worth what you're prepared to pay

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 pm

If I'm bring charitable, I might put it down to them wanting to put their resources into ramping up Switch production instead. Maybe. Who knows, it is an odd decision.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360