Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by ALK » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Analog wrote:is it just me that thinks they could make a fortune if they really milked this idea?

nes mini classic 2 (another 30 great games) different colour schemes.
nes mini classic 3? 4? 5? how many really good games could they stretch this out for?
nes mini custom model ,you pick the design, you pick the games!
:idea: :?:
I was thinking of other models too, like maybe one based off the NES Jr (The one with the dog bone controllers?), a R.O.B the Robot or even an NES Zapper (Since the Wii U had Zapper games on the Virtual Console.)?

They could easily fill others with other games like the rest of the Megamans, Castlevanias, the Nintendo Sports titles, and the ROB and Zapper games for the last two...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:02 pm

DPrinny wrote: They could of had a mini NES style cart that has more games on it
I think they'd make more money issuing out more versions of the same thing at the same price point, or slightly more expensive for custom ones. gotta collect em all!! look at gameboy colour, people bought more than one just to have it in different colours. plus they wouldnt want to make it easier for any potential piracy. it would have been nice if they had a cart slot though and issued sequel compilations on carts.
ALK wrote: I was thinking of other models too, like maybe one based off the NES Jr (The one with the dog bone controllers?), a R.O.B the Robot or even an NES Zapper (Since the Wii U had Zapper games on the Virtual Console.)?

They could easily fill others with other games like the rest of the Megamans, Castlevanias, the Nintendo Sports titles, and the ROB and Zapper games for the last two...
this is what I was thinking, there are so many games in the nes back catalog that surely they could fill out a few more nes classic runs.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Hell, maybe they can translate some high desired Japan only titles (Fire Emblems?) and do a Famicom model. :lol:

They could easily make the tranlating cost back on the models and putting them on Virtual Console...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:43 pm

The scalping has already began...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINTENDO-Clas ... 7675.l2557

This listing was 'finished' (for whatever reason) but I wouldn't be surprised to see the vultures coming in to land on another Nintendo product :roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:02 pm

I assume it's because you can still pre-order it off Amazon for the RRP? Bit weird to be scalping when there's no actual shortage yet...

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:02 am

A real shame there isn't any option to buy additional games, some of the titles listed just don't interest me. As it is, this feels like something you'd buy for the novelty more than anything.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:12 am

Sel Feena wrote: As it is, this feels like something you'd buy for the novelty more than anything.
Well yes of course. It's not really aimed at the enthusiast retro gamer but rather the person that 'used to play Nintendo back in the day'.

These things are going to pop up in department stores like John Lewis and even the gift sections of shops like Urban Outfitters just like the Atari Flashback did.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:14 am

I'd buy one but I already have a PS4 running through a HDMI-Composite converter on my mahoosive CRT (not a bad picture btw) so I'm not having something else like it. Shame that it doesn't also have options for composite etc. Not entirely surprising in 2016 for full-blown consoles but for something like this, I wasn't expecting it to be HDMI only.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:43 am

Megamixer wrote:I'd buy one but I already have a PS4 running through a HDMI-Composite converter on my mahoosive CRT
Ah yes I remember you sick puppy!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:48 am

For people into retro games who do not like to use emulators and roms due to legal issues this is a great way to get some great Nintendo games officially.

People can say is a novelty but getting those games elsewhere would cost a lot more.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:35 am

Sel Feena wrote:A real shame there isn't any option to buy additional games, some of the titles listed just don't interest me. As it is, this feels like something you'd buy for the novelty more than anything.
Nintendo were never going to allow you to load it with roms.

I think it's got the potential to be great. There's a solid list of genuinely great games across a wide variety of genres from some of the notable publishers of the time.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:15 pm

Joey wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I'd buy one but I already have a PS4 running through a HDMI-Composite converter on my mahoosive CRT
Ah yes I remember you sick puppy!
Heh, yeah I'm messed up. I'd definitely upgrade if I didn't have things like the Saturn other old machines to consider. Don't have space for two different TV's unfortunately.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:43 pm

As I hate emulation via the PC and the X box this does sound great.. On the other hand my Twilight hacked Wii does Nes emulation nigh on perfect and has a perfect pad as in the official Snes pad.. As it's cheap I would buy it as original Nes consoles are very expensive and temperamental with games..

I wouldn't be surprised Nintendo will go the AtAri route releasing later models with more games!
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:52 pm

The only issue I have is the haphazard way of doing the games.

I like things neat and organised. I love the fact mario 1 2 and 3 are there, plus both zeldas. meaning I can play All nes veriosn of those games.

Why just randmly Double dragon II, its great but put 1 2 and 3 on together, and why miss out one castlevania game.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:05 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: Why just randmly Double dragon II, its great but put 1 2 and 3 on together, and why miss out one castlevania game.
The third Castlevania game has been known to have issues with clone hardware and for a professional product aimed at the mainstream market they probably want to play it safe.