Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:09 am

You're saying the people dissatisfied with emulation want to buy an emulator?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:45 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
That it's not appealing to you I get, but why - whenever any of these devices come out - does someone always feel the need to suggest that you could just play pirate copies of the games on existing kit as if we don't already know that? The point for those of us who are interested is that it's a rare opportunity to pick up a bunch of these games without donning our cutlasses, parrots and eye patches, and that really shouldn't need spelling out.
I only said that from my own perspective that I didn't have any nostalgia for the NES and that I had a plethora of devices which would do exactly the same thing and probably better (emulate the NES). If others want to buy it for whatever their motives, then so be it, as I'm certainly not stopping them. But I be a pirate and proud, yarr!
I get Seph's perspective but I agree with you Matt that a lot of people do question Nintendo and others for wanting to sell their back catalogue in the face of piracy. There is something depressing when to many the value and usefulness of a game company's hardware depends on it's ability to facilitate the theft of their games through piracy.

Piracy may be a reality but I don't think it's unreasonable for companies to expect people to pay for entertainment, you can't blame Nintendo for trying. The fact that Seph has all 30 Roms already despite no nostalgic affection for them suggests they must have some value, but not enough to justify paying for them. What this does is at least offer something to sweeten the deal, a smart little bit of collectable kit for your money, as the games can be easily downloaded ultimately the hardware is what you're buying here.
Last edited by pratty on Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:46 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Matt_B wrote: That's rather missing the point, I'd say. This being the Retro Gamer forum I'd think it a reasonable bet that every last one of us either already knows precisely what they'd have to do to set up something or other with a complete NES ROM set, or has already done so on a bunch of different devices.

Rather, this is all about the aesthetics of the machine and it being a genuine Nintendo product. Those of us who'll be buying this will do so because it looks the part and perhaps to legitimize the ownership of some games we've not been able to source carts for, not because we've not already got umpteen different ways of playing the games. That said, the ability to use the controllers with a Wii or Wii U should be a nice bonus and might add an extra touch of authenticity to the virtual console if the build quality is up to snuff.

I'd bet that most of the mass market who gets it will just play it for a week and stick it in a cupboard to gather dust, as is usual for such devices though.
I've not missed the point, I'm just not its target market as to me its just a highly limited rom emulator machine in a cutesy package, with a Nintendo logo on it. I get why people might get excited by it, but I personally have no interest and don't feel it is worth 60 notes. This is not NES true hardware or a re-issuing of genuine hardware (unless I'm mistaken?), so its essentially the same as playing a small batch of ROMs that Nintendo have chosen with the gimmick of it being another bit of kit to clutter (even if its small, which is at least a positive).

I'm more likely to just buy the NES controller than the "console" itself to use with the Wii. This seems fairly appetising, if the controller works in the same way as the classic controller (and can also be used on the various Wii emulators, beyond the VC!!). I would rather agree that the Mini-NES will be another dust collector though.

Its not worth it to you because you have had your value of the games warped by easy access to piracy and emulation. Considering that this is by far the cheapest way of getting these games by legitimate means. Something a lot of us will only do.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:50 am

DPrinny wrote:Feck no

The US SNES is an ugly SOB
Matt_B wrote: And seriously guys, I'd think someone would need to be a retarded troll to go onto an Xbox or PlayStation discussion and suggest that Sony or Microsoft should port some of the crown jewels in their back catalogue to a Nintendo platform. Yet there seems to be a genuine belief that the reverse of that is somehow a reasonable thing to ask for. I just don't get it at all.
So Halo and

What ever Sony makes
Last of us?
Stop being so dim mate. with this and the N64 comment I can't work out if you are yet again just saying it in another one of your ( unsuccessful ) desperate attempts to be funny or just in fact ignorant.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:57 am

Rodimus it's actually more to do with the fact i have little passion for the NES having missed it during my childhood. If it were a SNES variant I may be more interested. Also as much as i use emulation, I do appreciate actual hardware - and this isn't real hardware. It's software emulation. As we know with the Virtual Console, even official emulators are often no more accurate than homebrew community emulators. (And usually far more limited).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:00 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Feck no

The US SNES is an ugly SOB
Matt_B wrote: And seriously guys, I'd think someone would need to be a retarded troll to go onto an Xbox or PlayStation discussion and suggest that Sony or Microsoft should port some of the crown jewels in their back catalogue to a Nintendo platform. Yet there seems to be a genuine belief that the reverse of that is somehow a reasonable thing to ask for. I just don't get it at all.
So Halo and

What ever Sony makes
Last of us?
Stop being so dim mate. with this and the N64 comment I can't work out if you are yet again just saying it in another one of your ( unsuccessful ) desperate attempts to be funny or just in fact ignorant.
Of yeah I forgot about the Zelda games

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:04 am

Have a lie down mate, been inhaling to much parrot censored again.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:07 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Have a lie down mate, been inhaling to much parrot censored again.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:15 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:You're saying the people dissatisfied with emulation want to buy an emulator?
It's not the emulation, it's the lack of a material object that makes the emulation unfulfilling (in the case of the NES).

For the N64, there is a bit of work to be done but I believe Nintendo are more than capable of doing it (especially since they have all the hardware documentation and don't have to rely on reverse engineering to second guess things).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:20 am

English Invader wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:You're saying the people dissatisfied with emulation want to buy an emulator?
It's not the emulation, it's the lack of a material object than makes the emulation unfulfilling (in the case of the NES).

For the N64, there is a bit of work to be done but I believe Nintendo are more than capable of doing it (especially since they have all the hardware documentation and don't have to rely on reverse engineering to second guess things).
#IKnoiwthatfeel

At the end of the day playing it on the real system with a real cart feels better

To bad that the real carts are expensive
So ill settle for Bootlegs or Flashcarts

Somehow I dont think an N64 is high on the cards, after all all they woul need to do is make a batch of new controllers for it to make a few million

Just make the sticks not s**t this time

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 am

DPrinny wrote: Somehow I dont think an N64 is high on the cards, after all all they woul need to do is make a batch of new controllers for it to make a few million
That's what makes Nintendo different to Sony or Microsoft. They don't take the easy option.

sidney

Post by sidney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:27 pm

This definitely interests me, there are some very fine games included on it that make it appealing to me. I must say that like others here I would like there to have been some Internet connectivity but that would have driven the cost up quite a bit. An Sd card option would have been nice although I can understand the reasons why Nintendo would be reluctant to go with that, it would however have been good if they were able to include some form of scenario whereby you could officially download games onto an Sd card for a nominal fee but as there is no slot that won't be an option!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:36 am

English Invader wrote:
It's not the emulation, it's the lack of a material object that makes the emulation unfulfilling (in the case of the NES).

A miniture NES with an ARM processor (or whatever is in it), is that much more fulfilling? Ok, so the NES controller is a nice touch (lets hope its a reasonable price as an accessory), but you can already use a real NES controller with emulators anyway (with an adaptor).

I have to agree with Prinny though, flashcarts are the way forward in terms of playing these games with authenticity without paying through the nose for it, and for game accuracy (as its not emulation).

Its nice that Nintendo are releasing it (its doing no harm to anyone), but its not for me, and see it as just a collectable gimmick. I'd rather pay a bit extra and buy a NES, a NES Everdrive and have every game on the real hardware being played 100% authentically and accurately - but I feel little incentive to do so at the moment, as I'm not a fan of the console and have little nostalgia for it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:41 am

Not to derail the thread, but how do Everdrives deal with carts that used addon chips?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:56 am

theantmeister wrote:Not to derail the thread, but how do Everdrives deal with carts that used addon chips?
Some better than others. You can check the compatibility lists on the everdrive forums et al, but even the SNES with its wide array of custom chip usage, the SD2SNES cart supports the majority of chips and therefore games. About 50 games that won't run - which seems significant, but looking at that list, its predominantly obscure japanese Super Famicom games (and bear in mind there are probably over 1,500 SFC/SNES games in total, its quite impressive). It doesn't yet support Super FX games and SA-1 chip games, which is a shame, but this could be rectified in a firmware update, or one can either buy the games that it doesn't support or emulate these.

The N64 Everdrive now plays the full N64 library without any issue. Gameboy/Gameboy Color one is similar, aside from the issue of a few games that may have a real time clock in the original cartridges and rumble or tilt features built into them. The games themselves run 100% ok though. Other carts (that I don't own) seem to be just as effective.