Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

fouldsc

Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by fouldsc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:29 am

IronMaidenRule

Re: Nintendo releasing a new NES !

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:33 am

Looks interesting, wonder if it will connect to an online store to get more games?

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:33 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:Looks interesting, wonder if it will connect to an online store to get more games?

Doesn't appear to have any internet capability. Would probably shove the price up as well. Currently it is sitting at £60 which is a really nice sweet spot considering VC game prices.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:Looks interesting, wonder if it will connect to an online store to get more games?
Would be good if it did, I like how Nintendo are bringing back the old IP.
A NES is something I always missed out on, but for $60USD it is a steal.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:37 am

Looks nice enough, but im guessing it wont play NES games (modders on stand by)

Expect to get one a few months after the scalpers have made there money

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:02 am

Looks quality, I will have to get one of those

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:19 am

It would have been nice if Nintendo had taken a leaf out of Sinclair's book and given us an SD card slot to add our own ROM files. I would also have liked a non-digital alternative to HDMI.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:09 am

English Invader wrote:It would have been nice if Nintendo had taken a leaf out of Sinclair's book and given us an SD card slot to add our own ROM files. I would also have liked a non-digital alternative to HDMI.
Maybe, but that obviously opens it up to piracy, something Nintendo would be unlikely to tolerate. The fact is there's a lot of excellent games included from a variety of developers. Even if it's £60 it will be great value for money when you consider what's on it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
English Invader wrote:It would have been nice if Nintendo had taken a leaf out of Sinclair's book and given us an SD card slot to add our own ROM files. I would also have liked a non-digital alternative to HDMI.
Maybe, but that obviously opens it up to piracy, something Nintendo would be unlikely to tolerate. The fact is there's a lot of excellent games included from a variety of developers. Even if it's £60 it will be great value for money when you consider what's on it.
Considering the way the Pound is going I wouldn't be suprised

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:41 am

Looks awesome. I want one.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 am

DPrinny wrote:Image

Looks nice enough, but im guessing it wont play NES games (modders on stand by)

Expect to get one a few months after the scalpers have made there money
I imagine this is what they're offering for the Black Friday/Xmas period as they're probably deep into NX game development to even release a quickie Wii U game like Mario Tennis last year while Pokemon has the 3DS covered, so I imagine there'll be plenty at launch but the closer we get to Xmas.... :lol:

Certainly is interesting. The no slot for carts is a bummer but interested to see 3rd party games as part of the 30 included games (Even Final Fantasy and Bubble Booble, 2 games the Wii U VC do not have yet.). You cannot use your old NES controllers either but on the flip side it have the same ports for Wiimote controllers such as the Classic Controller, so you can actually use the included NES controller on Wii and Wii U for VC games (And I suppose whatever Wii/Wii U titles with limited button controls and no motion gimmicks. :lol: ). Hoping its not a sign of Nintendo abandoning the Virtual Console for the NX and for these official clones instead (Though an N64 one would be lovely.) but considering the price of the system and games, it could usher in cheaper VC prices for the NX at least.

And considering this connects through HDMI, I just hope the emulation is near spot on. If Nintendo of Europe offers us 50Hz PAL versions, then they'll murder this product for collectors for sure (But thankfully you can always import the US version no problem thanks to being powered by USB.).
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:57 am

This is pretty big news as Nintendo usually don't do stuff like this, that is mini retro TV consoles. We have seen such from Sega, Atari and Commodore, but not Nintendo. Would be nice if they did a mini SNES eventually too, although I'm not sure if hardware clones of that are possible (cue the canned "Coleco Chameleon" which apparently used SNES Jr boards). Let's not forget the iQue, N64-in-a-pad for the Chinese market.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:41 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Would be nice if they did a mini SNES eventually too, although I'm not sure if hardware clones of that are possible
There are quite a few aftermarket SNES clones around, mostly by the usual suspects (Retrobit, Hyperkin etc.).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Would be nice if they did a mini SNES eventually too, although I'm not sure if hardware clones of that are possible
There are quite a few aftermarket SNES clones around, mostly by the usual suspects (Retrobit, Hyperkin etc.).
Theres also loads of aftermarket NES clones around

Even some that do both

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
I'm aware of that, what I mean is a "official" release from Nintendo themselves with the shiny golden "Seal of Quality" logo. :P