Pokemon Go

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

greenberet79

Pokemon Go

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:41 am

Never played any Pokémon myself, nor seen the cartoons. But blimey, it's popular.

'Nintendo’s latest mobile release, Pokémon Go, has been an almighty success. Since launching in the US, NZ and AU on July 6th, Nintendo’s share price has spiked by 65% and the game has become the fastest mobile game to top the iOS and Android charts.

'A week after the initial limited release, downloads have been estimated at 7.5 million in the US alone, daily revenue has been suggested to be around $1.6m and some reports say that 5% of all Android smartphones worldwide have the app installed.'

Thought this was interesting too -

'Sega has seen success across the board here, releasing about 20 titles per year on mobile, with up to five titles per year bringing in over £3.5m per month each. In 2015 alone Sega had 228 million downloads.'

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/p ... ly/1402219
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

AceGrace

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by AceGrace » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:48 am

This is why Nintendo will always be around, console or not.

It would be interesting to see if Nintendo eventually become a mobile developer. Would it be as popular if is was on the 3DS for example? Much bigger audience.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:11 am

You know something is popular when John Humphrys is talking about it on the Today programme.
AceGrace wrote:This is why Nintendo will always be around, console or not.
They certainly have a knack for this kind of thing. Don't ever count them out.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:02 am

They were a bit late to mobile gaming, but hopefully this success will help them rebound from the disappointment of the Wii U. I just hope they don't ever abandon consoles completely!

As for the Pokemon game, Pokemon has never been my thing, but this one looks genuinely interesting. Looking forward to it getting released over here and giving it a go.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:13 am

They are making TONs of money off it

My phone wont run it

But I HAVE FOUND A WAY OF ENJOYING IT!!

Im gonna need
Some Team rocket costumes
A talking cat A net
A hot air balloon or a mech in the shape of the cat

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:30 am

You forgot:

2. ???
3. Profit!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:32 am

joefish wrote:You forgot:

2. ???
3. Profit!
Jessie and James are poor as s**t

THERE IS NO PROFIT IN TEAM ROCKET!!

Probably something to do with the amount of costumes and props they buy every damn week

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Well, looks like the naysayers who thought Nintendo wouldn't do well on mobiles were totally wrong... :wink:

Not really interested in mobile gaming or a big Pokemon fan myself, but it's good to hear they're expanding their market. Although it's a double edged sword too as it could mean more focus on mobile gaming which, as I said, I have personally no interest into.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:52 pm

Apparently its lowering some peoples depression and getting people fitter

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 32946.html

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:30 pm

I like Pokemon but this craze has just annoyed me thus far.

Some idiots that I know have been speeding down the motorway to catch Pokemon then looping back around and making another pass if they couldn't get in the right lane :roll:

I've also seen people congregating around a neighbour's front garden which must be some sort of 'hotspot'.

Also the groups of people on TV walking around like zombies with their phones stretched out before them.

Fair play to Nintendo though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Did nearly hit someone holding there phone in a way people that play it do today while cycling home

Walking in a cycle path is a bad thing

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:50 pm

flying_delorean81 wrote:They were a bit late to mobile gaming, but hopefully this success will help them rebound from the disappointment of the Wii U. I just hope they don't ever abandon consoles completely!
I don't think that is their intention. what things like this might do is create more awareness and interest in Nintendo and their other products, hardware, software and other merchandise. Suddenly Nintendo/Pokemon is relevant to the mainstream again, maybe now more people will be motivated to buy a 3DS for the 'proper' Pokemon games, not in the same numbers that download Pokemon Go of course, but any increase in 3DS/Pokemon games sales will be welcomed by Nintendo. In general there may be other opportunities now for nintendo to market to phone/tablet users now they have a foot in the door with apps like this.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:02 pm

DPrinny wrote:Did nearly hit someone holding there phone in a way people that play it do today while cycling home

Some young girl nearly walked out in front of my car yesterday because she was too busy searching on her phone

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Did nearly hit someone holding there phone in a way people that play it do today while cycling home

Some young girl nearly walked out in front of my car yesterday because she was too busy searching on her phone
So is this gonna become like a natural selection thing?
Already seen a "Dont Pokemon go and drive thing"

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:46 pm

Wonder how long it takes before someone walks in front of a bus staring at this?