System Shock remake

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

System Shock remake

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:24 am

System Shock is being remade - the Kickstarter isn't yet finished but has surpassed its lofty $900,000 goal. If you've got one of those PCs that does gaming, you can download a demo and get a feel for the game right now.

Have you tried the demo, and if so what do you make of it? Did it convince you to back the game, or are you just excited for when it finally reaches completion?

Some comments will appear in the magazine.

outdated_gamer

Re: System Shock remake

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Tried the demo, short but sweet. They re-captured the look and feel of the original well whilst streamlining it for a modern audience. I'm excited over the new System Shock titles, also the upcomming System Shock 3. The BioShock games were okay but to me personally they focused too much on the presentation and too little on in-depth gameplay mechanics which the older System Shock games provided. These new remakes/sequels seem to be bringing back more of that old-school vibe whilst modernizing the games to appeal to a newer generation of players. Good to hear the Kickstarter was successful.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:50 pm

a poor mans Bioshock, one to be avoided

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:57 am

I've backed it as I loved the original and hope that the success of this one will pave the way for SS2 being remade.
I don't have steam so haven't played the demo so I've kinda gone in blind but I saw a few youtube videos and they look pretty awesome :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:39 pm

tachi wrote:I've backed it as I loved the original and hope that the success of this one will pave the way for SS2 being remade.
I don't have steam so haven't played the demo so I've kinda gone in blind but I saw a few youtube videos and they look pretty awesome :)
You can get the demo on GOG and Humble Store too. It's a bit short but it gives an idea of how the game will look and play, although some things are subject to change.

T Moleman

Post by T Moleman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:16 am

For a pre alpha the demo was very impressive, feels like a mix of Alien: Isolation and Resident Evil 2, can't wait to play the full game.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:30 am

Yeah, it looks very nice. The old System Shock games were great for their time, but I'd have to say that they do feel a bit old and clunky to go back to after playing through all three Bioshocks.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 am

New trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPcFU6kXeZ4

This + Underworld Ascendant (remake of Ultima Underworld) and it already feels like we're back in the early 90s, with a coat of fresh paint. :wink:

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:40 pm

I am liking what I see so far :)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:57 am

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, it looks very nice. The old System Shock games were great for their time, but I'd have to say that they do feel a bit old and clunky to go back to after playing through all three Bioshocks.
Yeah, that's about right. I did quite like the original System Shock games. I think some people have a problem with re-spawning enemies. They sort of inspired Bioshock(which I'm currently in the middle of - and that's great, great storyline).

Fingers crossed that this gets made.