Super Nintendo Book Live on Kickstarter!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thesubcon3

Super Nintendo Book Live on Kickstarter!

Post by thesubcon3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:06 pm

I am the author of a few retro gaming books and launched a SNES book (with a second Super Nintendo Compendium that has had the stretch goal achieved!).

I was told to post it here as there are some people who might not know it exists. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... timate-gui

big mean bunny

Re: Super Nintendo Book Live on Kickstarter!

Post by big mean bunny » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:48 am

Looks really good, I have very slight grumble, and this is totally personal to me, but I hate the cover. It has a kinda crappy 90s cartoon vibe to it and that puts me off, the actual art style and visual style inside is great.

How does it separate the pal, ntsc regions?
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 am

Again poor design asstenetics raise their ugly head here as does the inside of the book, I'm sure the information will be great and personally think they should of followed the layout for the second book that's been attached here, but with the recent events with Nintendo shutting down within 24hrs of the NES : a visual compendium from Bitmap Books with massive copyright infringements and IP infringements based on their games, this kickstarter could also find itself facing the barrel of Nintendo's gun too.

I can see Nintendo's point of view here, especially if they are not contacted before hand about requesting permission to produce and release content in an investigative manner by the author, remember what they did with the YouTube fiasco ? Well this is no different.

But I'm a massive fan of SNES machine myself, but unless executed in the manner the games should be presented in a book, I will be passing on this fundraiser, but that second book looks dead close to what I'd want to back.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:59 am

Not sure if you are talking about this lad or Sam from Bitmap, but he mentioned he had contacted Nintendo UK and discussed the book and discussed it with a publisher who works in the area. My opinion is Nintendo can get fucked, it's a censored attitude of theres to try and stop genuine fans work from seeing the light of day, I understand the right to protect your characters and ips etc but within reason.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:00 pm

I was referencing Sam's book and with it been a Nintendo product, this is typically of the big N, a lot could be disputed in the conduct they took with it being less than 24hrs before finishing up, before pulling the plug, but in their views this is direct infringement of their IPs and it's plainly officious that they did not have this cleared on all levels, if they had of done then we wouldn't be discussing it.

I just hope that they don't go after these guys doing the SNES book, and I'm wonder how Pat the Punk managed to get a ultimate guide to NES past the big N without notice, but I think in this case it's because of the blatened modification of the Nintendo seal of quality logo and direct Nintendo artwork , but the game screenshots to me was seriously ott of Nintendo, ffs the games came out 30 years ago, but it's because they are still making games based on these characters is the problem. So I just hope these guys doing the SNES book took the right road to contact Nintendo to ensure that this doesn't happen to them too.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Well Sam spoke to Nintendo UK, but the injunction came from Nintendo US, so probably a case (at least in base) of left hand not knowing what right hand was doing. Sega was the same between its US and Japanese branches!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:20 am

Will the digital version be DRM free and not tied to Amazon or Apple?