Hyper Sentinel

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Hyper Sentinel

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:18 pm

necronom

Re: Hyper Sentinel

Post by necronom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:01 pm

If its name had Uridium in there somewhere, it was on the PS4, and it cost £5 I'd be interested.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:22 pm

If the gameplay in the launch trailer didn't look like a juddery eyesore I'd be interested.

Also, bosses. No thanks.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:52 pm

Uridium on the C64 was over-rated, Uridium 2 on the 'miggy was ok, Hyper Sentinel...looks awful
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:46 pm

necronom wrote:If its name had Uridium in there somewhere, it was on the PS4, and it cost £5 I'd be interested.
Consoles are a stretch goal so that's possible, and what's in a name?

Personally, I think it looks a bit of the flashy side and not in a good way. I suppose that the original game flaunted a bunch of visual effects but they were at least novel back then and Braybrook had to work hard to do them on the C64. Now that every platform under the sun can rotate, scale, and scroll thousands of sprites or background layers for free it just feels a bit gratuitous. For me, the point of going for a retro look is to achieve a degree of clean minimalism, and I don't think they've got that.

It might fare better on the gameplay though. I always found the original a bit shallow and boss fights could add to the variety. Hopefully you won't need psychic powers to divine the layout of each level in order to escape a series of unavoidable deaths either, although I suppose that might be seen as a fundamental part of how the game should play by many.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 am

Weren't both Space Tripper(for the PC) and Astro Tripper(for the PC and PS3) remakes of Uridium? They certainly seemed very close to those sorts of games.

Anyway, I suppose this could be a novel idea. Not so sure about the retro style graphics nowadays though.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:14 am

I've been playtesting it...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:13 pm

merman wrote:I've been playtesting it...
And?

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:39 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
merman wrote:I've been playtesting it...
And?
Back the Kickstarter and you can play the demo too :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:18 am

I had a brief go on it at Play Glasgow as Rob Turner was demoing it. Played pretty well, better than I expected from a touch screen game. Can't say I really got much detail on the gameplay specifics as I was talking to Rob while playing, as well as being interrupted by someone else coming along, but I'd certainly put it in the 'worth a look' category if you've any interest in shmups/Uridium. It isn't quite the same as Uridium despite the apparent similarities, they've added features to update things a bit, so don't just think it directly correlates to the old gameplay, it's a new game in a similar vein rather than a straight rehash. I plan to throw some cash at it, if only so they continue developing more stuff with a view on the back catalogue.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:17 am

There's a new kickstarter for this, and a free demo for everyone. I've been playing it on the PC and it's much better with proper controls. I've got the third highest score at the moment :-)

I'd pay £10, but £15 is a bit much when the iOS and Android versions are only £4 (which includes an eBook or album).

It's over 2 thirds funded after about a day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... escription

It needs a volume control, as it's far too loud, it doesn't work with my Zipstick/Stelladapter (luckily it does with my arcade controls), and it could do with a quit to title screen and quit game option, but it's quite good.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

merman

Post by merman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 pm

I passed feedback to the team on a quit button for the PC, so they are aware.