What's Your Favourite Hydraulic Arcade Machine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

What's Your Favourite Hydraulic Arcade Machine

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Just remembering Powerdrift and how insane that game was, the hydraulic version, and when it arrived had a cordon around it, a seatbelt, and a line of people waiting to play it... I would love one of those machines, damn.. great times.

What d'you reckon your favourite hydraulic machine is? I have to try and remember some of them... you had Outrun, Powerdrift, Sega Rally 1 & 2, Space Harrier, Afterburner... I miss the days of the ol' hydraulic arcade machine!

theantmeister

Re: What's Your Favourite Hydraulic Arcade Machine

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:23 am

Galaxy Force 2 used to scare the snot out of me, I loved it :mrgreen:

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 am

None of them were hydraulic. Hydraulic fluid is way too hazardous to leave to arcade roadies to maintain.
They used electric motors and screw-jacks to tip and turn the seats. You can see a strip of a Space Harrier Deluxe unit here:

http://www.nationwidealarms.co.uk/arcad ... arrier.htm

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:03 am

Space Harrier was the first one I ever saw and it was amazing. I was big fan of the Galaxy Force 2 one as well.

The Chase HQ one was really good but that game never felt like it needed the motion. I was happier to play the stand up cabinet for half the price!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:54 pm

R360. Not a great game, but just flying upside down is an experience not to be missed.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:48 pm

The outrun deluxe cab was my fave out of them.Never played the powerdrift hydraulic just the normal upright but loved that game.Was there ever a good conversion for the consoles.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Take away the cab and Powerdrift is an awful game - Galaxy Force is even worse.

Not a hydraulic cab, but Enduro Racer was an ace 'sit on', with the player having to 'pull a wheelie' for real.

Also Hang On made you have to physically lean the bike over to corner, which was quite an experience.

And if memory serves there was a Buggy Boy game in Blackpool that had you sit in a full size buggy, but I don't think it moved. Never played this as I think it was £2 a go. Think there was also a full size racing car (Mazda perhaps?) with 3 large screens in front of it.

Btw did anyone play on the full size F1 simulator at Blackpool? £5 seemed a bit steep for a quick go.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:32 am

Feels like such a long time! I recall loving after burner though. Always to get a go on it when I see it at play expo or elsewhere but always a mental queue. Has anyone been to the arcade club or national game museum? Would love to check them out.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:16 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Also Hang On made you have to physically lean the bike over to corner, which was quite an experience.
Was anyone else kind of intimidated by the ride on Hang On cab?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:05 am

paranoid marvin wrote: Think there was also a full size racing car (Mazda perhaps?) with 3 large screens in front of it.
Ridge Racer. Plus, it was a Mazda MX-5. See the this :-

As for myself, I think like a lot people, the first one that I saw was Space Harrier. Super Hang On with the motorbike was also interesting. I think a lot of the racing games had force feedback steering wheels(does that technically count?) - like Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, etc. They were all good - added to the experience.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:07 am

aztecca wrote:Was there ever a good conversion for the consoles.
It's on Yu Suzuki Gameworks for the Dreamcast, and I think there's a Japanese Saturn version too...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:49 am

theantmeister wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Also Hang On made you have to physically lean the bike over to corner, which was quite an experience.
Was anyone else kind of intimidated by the ride on Hang On cab?
hehe yes! I remember not trying Hang On or Super Hang On out until way after it came out because I didn't want to look silly. But when I finally got to play it it was enjoyable, in fact I wish I had tried out all of the games they had with move-y bits at the time. In fact that would be just brilliant : an arcade with just hydraulic machines, that'd be unreal.

I do also remember seeing girls try out Hang On, they would only play either Pacman or Hang On for some reason. Or the odd pinball machine. Nothing else.

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: Think there was also a full size racing car (Mazda perhaps?) with 3 large screens in front of it.
Ridge Racer. Plus, it was a Mazda MX-5. See the this :-

As for myself, I think like a lot people, the first one that I saw was Space Harrier. Super Hang On with the motorbike was also interesting. I think a lot of the racing games had force feedback steering wheels(does that technically count?) - like Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, etc. They were all good - added to the experience.

Remember seeing that Ridge Race in Blackpool when I would have been 14 or 15, really wanted a go but it was about £4 a shot and you needed to be either 16 or 18! At least in the arcade it was in.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes