What is your approximate ratio of playing modern/retro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What approximate percentage of your gaming time comprises of retro games :

0%
17%
10%
17%
20%
11%
30%
22%
40%
11%
50%
11%
75%
No votes
80%
No votes
90%
6%
100%
6%

Total votes: 18

ncf1

What is your approximate ratio of playing modern/retro games

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 pm

I find myself increasingly leaning towards retro games these days whereas for the most part of the decade I was more into the new stuff.
So it made me curious : what proportion of your gaming time would you say lends to the older stuff? I'm talking say, PS2 and earlier.

It used to be for I would say only around 20% of my gaming time was spent playing older stuff but now I would say it has hiked up to 75% or thereabouts.
As for why, that's another matter.. I have to think about why this sudden change has occurred. At present, I am baffled.

English Invader

Re: What is your approximate ratio of playing modern/retro g

Post by English Invader » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:00 pm

I've always had a rather conservative approach towards gaming (only just branched out to the 360) so I would put myself at about 80% retro and 20% contemporary but there is a bit of overlap where I play older games from Steam/GOG/Humble Bundle.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:10 pm

With the retron 5 set up on a permanent basis I play about the same.

Can easily switch from modern to retro, often in the same night.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Mostly modern for me but that's because I just happen to have a lot more modern games. A lot of the retro I'm interested in is either too expensive or rare to pick up and so I just don't get around to it. I'd definitely like a 50/50 split to be honest but I just end up plonking down in front of the PS2/3/4 most of the time. In short, I haven't had enough of retro at all - modern is just a bit more convenient for me at the moment.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Depends on ones definition of "retro" games! (lets start that old chestnut again and watch peoples heads explode!)

My only "modern" home console is a Wii U and I also have a 3DS, which hasn't had much love recently. But I've played a lot of 360 games recently (so I guess that still just about counts as modern). Probably 50/50 at the moment, as I still enjoy playing Gameboy Advance and Gameboy original games on the Cube, and a couple of SNES games on the Virtual Console often get rolled out as habit.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:09 pm

^^ says in the second line, PS2 or earlier ;)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:29 pm

I'd say 90% modern, 10% retro.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:31 pm

70% Modern gaming
30% Retro
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:58 pm

At the moment it's 100% modern, I've very little interest in retro anymore.
Splink!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:08 pm

It depends what you are calling retro.
I have no current generation consoles. I have a ps3 and 360, but I don't play the 360 as it broke, I play the ps3 les than everything else combined, but I'm not sure where a lot of the PC games would fit. And quite a few of them are relatively new out but retro styled. So in short, I have no idea of a percentage!

I'm not trolling, but can I ask why the people who are primarily or soly playing modern game are here?

Is retro a collecting thing to you?
Or are you interested in the history, but not especially in playing the games?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:51 pm

GarryG wrote:It depends what you are calling retro.
I have no current generation consoles. I have a ps3 and 360, but I don't play the 360 as it broke, I play the ps3 les than everything else combined, but I'm not sure where a lot of the PC games would fit. And quite a few of them are relatively new out but retro styled. So in short, I have no idea of a percentage!

I'm not trolling, but can I ask why the people who are primarily or soly playing modern game are here?

As I said, I've very little interest in retro anymore but I signed up here when I was into it.
Splink!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:19 pm

GarryG wrote:I'm not trolling, but can I ask why the people who are primarily or soly playing modern game are here?

I'm not interested in the history of retro gaming anymore. I slaked my thirst for gaming nostalgia years ago. This forum is a leftover from that time. I play old games now and again but I'm much more interested in modern games with retro stylings than actual retro games. Retro gaming was an enjoyable fad that lasted me a few years when I was out of sorts with modern gaming. It was deeply interesting for a while and then I found myself talking and reading about the same stuff over and over and it became boring.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 pm

If you include remakes/reboots as retro then its about 95% in favour of retro.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Flint

Post by Flint » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:48 am

The Beans wrote:
GarryG wrote:I'm not trolling, but can I ask why the people who are primarily or soly playing modern game are here?

I play old games now and again but I'm much more interested in modern games with retro stylings than actual retro games. Retro gaming was an enjoyable fad that lasted me a few years when I was out of sorts with modern gaming.
That's much the same as me although I still play retro games.
Most of the modern games I do play are either continuation of retro franchises or are heavily inspired by them. I'm playing volume at the moment and it's reminiscent of MGS VR missions, Shovel Knight was Mega Man and I can go on like that with other games I've played in recent times like Spelunky, Pix The Cat, Lumines etc.

I mostly played retro games at the start of the last gen when the PS3 and 360 seemed to be taking gaming in a direction I wasn't interested in but thankfully the games I liked made a bit of a comeback. That said I'm not overly optimistic about the general direction of the industry and can see myself returning to mostly playing retrogames again soon.

I guess that's a long way of saying I go in cycles.
Of course there's also a different perspective from a forum like this, Brits that remember playing the retro games when they were new are going to see things differently to American teenagers.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:05 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:If you include remakes/reboots as retro then its about 95% in favour of retro.
I'm probably much about the same, if you include retro-style games.

I honestly don't know what the newest game I have is, but it is probably a retro type indie.

The newest non indie games I have are probably deamon souls, dark souls, the Witcher 2, and bayoneta!
And Witcher games could be called indie, I have none of the major franchises, I've tried them, but don't like them.

I think my PC games collection probably stops around 2007 to 2010ish, but goes back to boxed XP games. I still have north and south, eliets, monkey island, xwing amongst others that were bought new in the day!

So as I said, no idea how to answer this question of percentages.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog