Broken Tapes!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetrolixusMcD

Broken Tapes!!

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi All,

I have recently gone right back to the beginning of my gaming memories and bought an Acorn Electron online to play the games from my boyhood! Obviously now the tapes are 30yrs + and none of them are rewound. The machine is lovely with the official tape recorder. However the first 2 games I tried ended up fudging up and looping around all over the place and ended up stretching and breaking on the tape. I have a mint copy of Elite and I am scared!!

does anybody know of a magic way to strengthen the tape, repair, stop it looping....any tricks will be welcome.

cheers

The Beans

Re: Broken Tapes!!

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Are you sure the tape recorder itself isn't doing the damage?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:47 pm

You could try manually rewinding them or fast forwarding them instead. For some reason, I've always found that tapes respond better to FF than RW.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:05 pm

As has been said , it's quite possible that it's the recorder itself. Otherwise, have you tried using a pen or pencil to manually turn the spool. Obviously try on a non-vital tape first!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetrolixusMcD

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm

hey all thanks for the replies

yeah ive taken the recorder apart as much as I could and cleaned the contacts, spools etc, I have noticed that the right hand spool sometimes spins without engaging the tape so I think that may be it. also tried doing the tapes by hand. Anybody know of anywhere you can still get tape drives that have the 7 pin interface new...as I'm thinking any oldies I get from ebay will be suffering the same fate.