Half-Life 3 - Should it be a fan-made game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Re: Half-Life 3 - Should it be a fan-made game?

Post by Rayne » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:25 am

Do people still care? :shock:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:21 am

Joey wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
crusto wrote:I've lost all hope in ever seeing half life 3 during my lifetime.. Wtf are valve playing at?

It is bizarre isn't it? The game would be a licence to print money even if it was terrible, it would have massively helped the Steam Box if they'd kept it an exclusive, yet we've heard absolutely nothing
It's not really that bizarre at all when you look at their business model for the last 5 years, with the last big budget triple A game they put out being Portal 2 in 2011.

Now they have three massive games in DOTA 2, CS:GO and TF2, which not only all make tens of millions of dollars a month from in game microtransactions but also DOTA and CS:GO being 2 of the biggest eSports on the planet.

But why wouldn't a publisher not want to make even more money? That would be like EA saying they won't make another Battlefield because FIFA and Madden are successful enough

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:36 am

Maybe Valve feel that their current business model is to provide an independent and impartial platform for third party developers/publishers and that their own IP should be firmly in the background (ports of old classics that have no impact on current gen sales).

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:57 pm

Rayne wrote:Do people still care? :shock:
After a whole generation of awful modern military shooters that were all chasing CoD's pot of gold, I'd say very much so, yes. :wink:

Even the new Doom felt refreshing to many because it departed from the tired old CoD-wannabe formula.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:59 pm

English Invader wrote:Maybe Valve feel that their current business model is to provide an independent and impartial platform for third party developers/publishers and that their own IP should be firmly in the background (ports of old classics that have no impact on current gen sales).
It seems to be that way, yes. Valve are more into the hardware/software platform proxy war these days.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:46 am

Rayne wrote:Do people still care? :shock:
In a word - yes. I think the Half Life series is probably the king of the story driven FPSes. Just from this little threads debate, you can tell that people still want it.

Hmmm, maybe Valve are waiting for something like the Occulus Rift to take off? That's just a theory.

It is puzzling as to why it is taking so long.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Joey wrote:
It's not really that bizarre at all when you look at their business model for the last 5 years, with the last big budget triple A game they put out being Portal 2 in 2011.

Now they have three massive games in DOTA 2, CS:GO and TF2, which not only all make tens of millions of dollars a month from in game microtransactions but also DOTA and CS:GO being 2 of the biggest eSports on the planet.

But why wouldn't a publisher not want to make even more money? That would be like EA saying they won't make another Battlefield because FIFA and Madden are successful enough

Battlefield, FIFA and Madden all come under the same business strategy (yearly triple A franchises) so your analogy doesn't quite work in this context. Valve's current business strategy is eSports and selling cosmetic items for three extremely popular games, a world away from developing a big budget sequel.

I'm sure the game will come one day but Valve are in an elite position along with Blizzard and probably Rockstar where they can take pretty much all the development time they like until they are ready to ship a product.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Hmmm, maybe Valve are waiting for something like the Occulus Rift to take off? That's just a theory.
They have their own VR headset which is currently the Rifts main competitor.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:29 pm

I think it's also worth remembering that there are only so many developers on Valve's books. Not only are they currently running three of the world's biggest MMOs and a leading games software distribution platform, but they've also partnered in a new games controller, an operating system, a VR headset, a streaming box and a range of PC hardware.

Half Life 3 might indeed be a licence to print money, but if they can't spare anybody more senior than the tea boy to get it made, that doesn't matter.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:10 am

Maybe some one tripped and dropped the last remaining script in the fire. And because it's been so many years now since the last game no one remembers how it's meant to finish :lol:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:18 am

Honestly past caring at this point, it's been so long and there are so many other games that have got my attention. If I were Valve I wouldn't even think about touching this series with a barge pole, as the level of expectation would just be insane.