Half-Life 3 - Should it be a fan-made game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Half-Life 3 - Should it be a fan-made game?

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:48 pm

There's still a lot of hope/interest for a new entry in the H-L series yet Valve have shown to not be all that interested in developing it. One of the options would be outsourcing the franchise to some 3rd party devs interested in making a new game, but the more interesting move would have been if Valve outsourced the IP to the community. Of course Valve would still have a foot in the project and offer a guidance, but the main work on the game could have been done by hobby modders and fans who are into or getting into game development. It would be a true "from the fans, for the fans" kinda game like how Epic is doing with the new Unreal Tournament. Project Cars was another such title with heavy community input and it's a quality racing sim.

What do you guys think, should Valve make the Half-Life IP open-source so that people could help co-develop new entries in the franchise?

Discuss. :wink:

Antiriad2097

Re: Half-Life 3 - Should it be a fan-made game?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:36 pm

No. The name is too big and expectations too high, giving it to a bunch of amateurs is just asking for disaster.

By all means make the IP open to freeware, but let's keep the true sequel to the pros.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:02 am

I've lost all hope in ever seeing half life 3 during my lifetime.. Wtf are valve playing at?

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:15 am

Avoiding a Daikatana?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:55 pm

crusto wrote:I've lost all hope in ever seeing half life 3 during my lifetime.. Wtf are valve playing at?

It is bizarre isn't it? The game would be a licence to print money even if it was terrible, it would have massively helped the Steam Box if they'd kept it an exclusive, yet we've heard absolutely nothing

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Valve made. Let's storm their offices with our hastily written down ideas!

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
crusto wrote:I've lost all hope in ever seeing half life 3 during my lifetime.. Wtf are valve playing at?

It is bizarre isn't it? The game would be a licence to print money even if it was terrible, it would have massively helped the Steam Box if they'd kept it an exclusive, yet we've heard absolutely nothing
It's not really that bizarre at all when you look at their business model for the last 5 years, with the last big budget triple A game they put out being Portal 2 in 2011.

Now they have three massive games in DOTA 2, CS:GO and TF2, which not only all make tens of millions of dollars a month from in game microtransactions but also DOTA and CS:GO being 2 of the biggest eSports on the planet.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm

no

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:a true "from the fans, for the fans" kinda game
A whole dimension of crapness right there.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:No. The name is too big and expectations too high, giving it to a bunch of amateurs is just asking for disaster.

By all means make the IP open to freeware, but let's keep the true sequel to the pros.
However, fans did make the H-L1 remake "Black Mesa" and did a great job with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglgH_lVJG8

Now making a full new game might be a bit more complicated than just a graphics makeover of an old game, but I think something in that way would have been better than nothing at all. Obviously there's still a high interest/demand for new titles in the H-L franchise and since Valve's priorities seem to be elsewhere, they might as well give the community the chance to co-develop something. Maybe not H-L3 itself, but like I said, something should be better than nothing. :wink:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:21 pm

I can see it now - Half Life 3 : The Origin of the Gman. :lol: Charting his origin story, and he became involved in the Half Life universe. Come on Valve - make it!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Joey wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:

It's not really that bizarre at all when you look at their business model for the last 5 years, with the last big budget triple A game they put out being Portal 2 in 2011.

Now they have three massive games in DOTA 2, CS:GO and TF2, which not only all make tens of millions of dollars a month from in game microtransactions but also DOTA and CS:GO being 2 of the biggest eSports on the planet.
It's worth noting that all three of the DotA, Counterstrike and Team Fortress franchises started out with fan mods too.

That said, Valve developed all three in-house into their current states and I can't see them going the opposite way with what's still their signature franchise for most people, at least not for a mainline sequel.

There certainly will be more officially sanctioned mods of the Half Life games though; I'd be pretty sure of that.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:39 pm

The thing is, they don't even have to make a H-L3, just another "Episode 3" running on the new Source engine that would continue (and finalize) the story of H-L2 would have already been a big thing. Or a MMO set in the H-L universe inspired after S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Day-Z, that would have been something too... :wink:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:55 pm

We'll the series is going to be remembered for one of the most famous unanswered cliffhangers in all of gaming.

It's a shame that Valve don't seem to have the creative urge to make it. Money is certainly not the issue, and it certainly would sell by the truck load. But if Valve just don't want to make it no amount of screaming is going to change that.

The employees past and present certainly know how to keep their mouths shut and not leak any important info regarding this saga. As there must have been meetings about the future of the series at some point even if they never got past the design stage and not programmed a single thing.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:No. The name is too big and expectations too high, giving it to a bunch of amateurs is just asking for disaster.

This. Let the professionals make the game, but leave it open source so that the many skilfull home coders can tweek and mod it to bring about their own creations. As has been said they are often very good indeed, but never bettered the originals.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"