The first game you EVER played on your 8-bit computer.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Space Invaders on my big brother's Atari 2600 when I was 5.

zerocool

Post by zerocool » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:40 pm

8)

Bruce Lee on the CPC 6128, the music was awesome...

sweetgenevincent

Post by sweetgenevincent » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:29 pm

We bought our speccy 2nd hand with loads of copied games for it. Think the first one I played was `Match Day` which was a bit of a goodie. (Too hard though `cos I was 6.)

First game I bought was the Soft Aid charity compilation. Still love Gilligan`s Gold.

space_ace

Post by space_ace » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:32 am

Christmas day and I had several cassettes & the gratis Sinclair Spectrum Starter Pack with Make a Chip/Survival etc. and I chose Horace Goes Skiing over Daley Thompson's Decathlon for my initial foray into 8 bit heaven - foolish boy. Although the merits of taking a two eyed monster to a pixelled piste were enjoyable at the time........

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:56 am

GarryG wrote:It was the 'bomer run' game that was on the tape supplied with the VIC 20 starter pack.

(A plane flies across the screen getting progresively lower, you had to press the space bar to drop boms and clear a path through the buildings so you can land)
I think you've got it the wrong way round Blitz was the freebie, while Bomber Run I believe was part of the K-Tel range. I remeber being slightly pissed off after my parents bought it because it was essentially the same game!

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:56 pm

I think the first ever game i played on my Amstrad was either Kane (Mastertronic) or Wild Bunch (Firebird).

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:04 pm

First computer game played was a TV Pong console. First arcade game was Space Invaders. I can't play it now but back then it was simply awesome. Then I played Outlaw on my mates Atari VCS and nagged my parents until they bought me my own VCS. I then owned a Spectrum and a Vic 20. Penetrator and Crazy Kong were the first games I bought on those. Happy days. Most games from then are virtually unplayable now and are probably best left as fond memories!

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:43 pm

Roland on the Ropes - CPC 464

One of the infamous Amsoft freebie pack and despite its (excuse the pun) ropiness one that I still love today thanks in no small part I think to my absolute unbridled joy playing on the thing.

Of course, I soon found Oh Mummy and never looked back.
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

Scooby1970

Re:

Post by Scooby1970 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:16 pm

Ritchardo mkII wrote:Roland on the Ropes - CPC 464

One of the infamous Amsoft freebie pack and despite its (excuse the pun) ropiness one that I still love today thanks in no small part I think to my absolute unbridled joy playing on the thing.

Of course, I soon found Oh Mummy and never looked back.
I didn't have any free games with my CPC464 when I bought it. Perhaps it's because it was bought in Boots? Damn! I missed out on Oh Mummy for all these years!
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

lamer

Post by lamer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:26 am

The very first game ever played was on a TV Game Console (1975 A.D.) with 4 or 6 built-in games, such as Pong, Football, Squash and Ice-hockey. Display was black & white and no sound. All games were built up with blocks, and the only difference between them was the size/number of blocks.

My first computer game was a galaxian-type game on VIC 20 with 3,5KB RAM. I was amazed with the sound, colours and graphics for that time (1982, I think).

Ahhh, those were the days.
Hello, Professor Falken...

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:52 am

The Last Ginja wrote: I think you've got it the wrong way round Blitz was the freebie, while Bomber Run I believe was part of the K-Tel range. I remeber being slightly pissed off after my parents bought it because it was essentially the same game!
Ah, that would be one of the ‘double sider’ range of tapes then. I think that was the one with the side scrolling space-invaders type game on the other side. One of them needed the 3K-expansion memory, but I can’t remember what one!

The first bought game I played on the VIC was Alien Blitz, a near identical space invaders rip-off; a decent game at the time though…

deano7649

Post by deano7649 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:07 am

Got an Atari 800xl for Xmas 1986, the first thing I loaded into was An Invitation To Programming. Suppose that wasn't really a game, so I guess that would have been The Lone Raider on the same machine.

Such quality titles that were bundled with the machine !!!

slightly delayed

Post by slightly delayed » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:16 am

i think mine was called tanks (or something very similar) on a 16k spectrum with the really dodgy memory cart to make it 48k. i don't think i played it much after that i much prefered jet set willy and manic miner

the first game on the c64 was beach head which was ace guide the ships through the mine fields was quite hard then not at hard as the anti aircraft gun level though 8)

redeem

Post by redeem » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:13 am

Make a Chip! on the Speccy 48k in '83 8)
Redeem.

Joe_Blade

Post by Joe_Blade » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm

It always facinates me how we lead very similar lives. It's like when Peter Kay used to do his stand up and it seemed everybody had the same upbringing. Well, at least with Northerners.

My first experience was with the TV Pong that had been mentioned. It featured a dial joy pad.

My uncle had a Speccy and one night he let us play Transformers and Nomad. It blew us away, you can't quite describe the magic of playing a computer game for the first time.

Next was the typical CPC 464 for Christmas, our first computer it came with the classic bundle package. Green screen though, it wasn't until later that we got a colour one. Christmas day was the old Harrier Attack, Roland Cave/Ropes, Oh Mummy, A.V.M, Sultans Maze, Fruit Machine waltz.

First game I played in colour was Bomb Jack. Playing in colour was another level of pleasure never before experienced.

Only memory I have playing a C64 game was in a mates house, it was Double Dragon. He used a track ball instead of a joystick. I always thought that was the gayest thing i'd ever seen lol.

Used to buy my games from WH Smiths (Church St. Liverpool), and the now long gone Bits N' Bytes (Central Station, Liverpool). Bytes was the best shop ever, it even had arcade machines in it. I wish I had a time machine and could relive going into that place, absolute magic.