Resident Evil VII

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroAerosmith

Re: Resident Evil VII

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes as darran said, the family are more of an undeafeatable kind of constant threat. Ammo can be sparse at times but head shots seem easier to do this time around, especially in vr mode. I will say though that the 2nd time i met jack frustrated the hell out of me, I purposely backtracked a bit specifically for ammo...then really didnt need it as much as its more of a hit till cutscene kind of enemy rather than so many shotgun shots.

Keep your coins in the storage box rather than wasting a slot, you wont need them till later.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Just got it and am a couple of hours in. Wow... this game is something else! I did not expect this, I must say. I've not played anything quite like this. I very much like the turnaround they have taken, its more like a new experience, and I think they tried emulating RE4 with 5 and 6 and the other spinoffs and realised hey, we cant beat it so lets try something else. But they have still maintained enough character from previous series.. this reinvention really is just what the series needed in my opinion.

Having said that, I don't know just yet if it will be as replayable as 4 or 2 for instance. I read Edge's review and tend to agree with them at this point : a surprising and brilliant new effort but perhaps wont win as many hearts as RE4 did. But I have to get through the game first, so will see... but for now, wow, its a lot of fun.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 am

I'm loving the game. I've completed maybe 70%ish of the game? It feels (to me) very similar in parts to the original RE (maybe its the setting, the bigger focus on puzzles I don't know) but I'm loving what I played. Plus each area does different things, so it never feels repetitive or boring. The combat is perfectly functional, again feeling like the old RE games, the shotgun and grenade launcher especially feel like they have a nice kick to them.
Lastly, I really like the Baker family as antagonists, Jack especially felt like a Crimson Head/Nemesis style threat especially early in the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:52 am

I completed it today. I got 15 hours out of it so not too bad length wise. I enjoyed this game... I found the first half not very Resi but the second half was definitely more so... The free DLC in the spring should be good also.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Not sure how far im in at so far...i think playing with the vr helmet is a slower experience as you seem to have to look far more for things, physically for starters. Ive just got the red and vlue cards and had a bit of a "saw" type videotape which was a fun diversion. im guessing a lot of dlc will be various other videotapes littered about which isnt a bad thing.