Resident Evil VII

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Trixta

Re: Resident Evil VII

Post by Trixta » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:34 pm

crusto wrote:I noticed resi 4 on psn for £7.99. Might have to indulge...
Ye I bought the physical release when it came out, its still a great game. But its another capcom lazy port of the pc version, so dont dive in expecting anything new visually.

Im tempted to buy umbrella corps just to see how awful it really is.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:32 pm

Umbrella Corps really does look dreadful, like something you'd see on Greenligĥt. cant imagine anyone is still playing it online so i don't think you'll get your money's worth

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:24 pm

So what do you think, is this game great or what? :)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Im only part way through it. Ive played it using the VR and it is the tensest ive ever been. It feels so real being "in" the game, having someones face literally in my face, being lifted up by an enemy and being able to look down at them. There was a bit where the lights went out and a face appeared direct in front of me that i let out a man scream.

The sound through the headphones is some of the best, the family goading you through the house, stalking you or creaking floorboards above you is terrifying. I will warn people that the movement of the vr helmet can be smoothed but ive still experienced a bit of sea legs through having to make fast movements to get away fast.

I think where im at at the moment is slime city and having bullets is a must, i have like 4 and am dying all the time, the block button is a godsend though.

Ive read that the puzzles are too easy but i spent the first 20mins trying to get through the gate, running from the button to the chain trying to squeeze through the broken railing...some of the shadow puzzles narked me as i was waiting for the correct shadow to kick in a cutscene when done, but you have to press X.

So being about 2hours in it is my early contender for Game of the year, no doubt will be my gaming experience of the year.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:31 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Im only part way through it. Ive played it using the VR and it is the tensest ive ever been. It feels so real being "in" the game, having someones face literally in my face, being lifted up by an enemy and being able to look down at them. There was a bit where the lights went out and a face appeared direct in front of me that i let out a man scream.

The sound through the headphones is some of the best, the family goading you through the house, stalking you or creaking floorboards above you is terrifying. I will warn people that the movement of the vr helmet can be smoothed but ive still experienced a bit of sea legs through having to make fast movements to get away fast.

I think where im at at the moment is slime city and having bullets is a must, i have like 4 and am dying all the time, the block button is a godsend though.

Ive read that the puzzles are too easy but i spent the first 20mins trying to get through the gate, running from the button to the chain trying to squeeze through the broken railing...some of the shadow puzzles narked me as i was waiting for the correct shadow to kick in a cutscene when done, but you have to press X.

So being about 2hours in it is my early contender for Game of the year, no doubt will be my gaming experience of the year.
You've pretty much sold me on both the new RE and the VR with that review. THIS is exactly the sort of potential I was thinking about when hearing of the new VR. The potential for survival horror in VR is fantastic, and will most likely result in therapy :lol:

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:57 pm

It is seriously the tensest feeling you will get playing a game, walking down corridors and retracing your steps at times causes you to expect something to happen then its almost unfair when something doesnt but believe me when they do happen make sure there is no pet/person/cups/tv close by because you WILL jump and its not horror film jump, its a portion of scare,panic, what do i do...

There are one or two bits where i reverted to normal view as a couple of boss battles needed fast movements and if yoi die and retry it can make you feel icky doing swerve moves. The family themselves arent scary, think being trapped in the hills have eyes crossed with texas chainsaw family especially a scene wherby you are force fed around a table, you WILL pull your head back.

I havent finished ot yet as im always caught out on boss battles whether lack of ammo or health and it becomes a chore constantly dying by over powered family members... and they are overppwered wherby im talking 10 shotgun bullets and a chainsaw and im still killed.

There are plenty of resi vr clips on youtube, its hard to say theyre not exaggerating because the experience IS that, an experience.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:07 pm

i want to know if the experience is similar with Planet Coaster, using VR - not as in scary but as in immersive (or is the word submersive?), I do want to be sold on VR and already there are titles which alone I would kit up for.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:47 am

Ive used it on the star wars tie fighter dlc and was enthralled with being inside the cockpit, there are games that are billed as immsersive experiences and are a joy, even if its being inside a bedtime story. I havent tried the funfair games but i do have the after dawn on the rails shoooter and that envelops you into basically being on a ghost train including a rollercoaster type track where I put a warning on here to make sure you sit down when playing it as i nearly stumbled into the tv due to the track movements.

Ive got jealous?workmates saying vr is just a fad like 3d games...vr im sure isnt for everyone but youll be doing an injustice to yourself not to even try a demo. I spent a few moments in resi evil just staring out of one of the windows at a caravan outside wondering what was out there....a few hours later i got outside to said caravan and the feeling was weird looking back at the window i looked out of. Youll be swatting flies from your face or looking at your feet while cockroaches scurry around. The only downer for me is the price of move controllers and those selling them without the charging cables....sont for some reason wont allow the controllers to charge without the ps3 lead.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:31 am

I've used expiring Game credit to splash out on their steelbook edition, should arrive by Tuesday.

I fiddled with the First Hour VR controls to try to get a balance between immersion, motion sickness reduction and responsiveness. Any advice on the launch version's control settings, RetroAerosmith?

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Im assuming (i havent checked yet) that the control options maybe the same, if not there are ways to either move the left right looking at angles of 30 45 90 degrees, i found this jarring and a bit hot and miss when boss fighting, Instead of the angles i choose the camera smoothing options which changes it into the normal fps call of duty type turning.
It will definitely need adjusting for each persons tolerance and you may need to pause and recheck it again.

I find myself using the left stick to move where i want to go and turn my head physically to look around, any adjustments with the right stick would then be minimal just to maybe focus on a certain area pr realign yourself to where you are intending to go..

i use the start button quite a lot to realign myself with the best posture and pictures directly in front of you, also the 180turn is brilliant too for less swirling movement when exiting a room rather than dragging the picture causing a bleaurgh effect.

If your camera is on top of the tv id move it so its directly facing you as sometimes it says you are out of the gaming area and you dont want that in a sticky situation.

There are smoothing rates of movement 1-10 and other options so id play about with them and see, one thing i do do though is when im saving a game, as i know nothing is going to happen, i close my eyes for 2mins to relax for a bit, and i would take a break after 45 mins or if you are fine go until you Know when you are forcing to enjoy...when you are a bit spewy and it may happen may not.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:16 pm

On the demo, I found the angle movements awkward. It felt inaccurate and less immersive.
With the smooth turning, it felt better in terms of gameplay/control and immersion, but a bit queasy. I only tried a couple of rate settings for that mode, though -- saving myself for the full game -- so will give it more time when it arrives.

I didn't realise there was a 180-turn ability; that seems a worthwhile manoeuvre to reduce motion sickness and, as a sort of 'about face' turn, less immersion-breaking than rotating in 30-degree steps.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Yeah the 180 degree turn has been in the games since the remake or 4, not sure but it does aid the queasy factor rather than watching the room spin you can press left stick back and press circle, you could also do a long blink as you press them just to give yourself that microsecond focus regain.

It took a few minutes of playing about at the start of the game, there is a tutorial you can do before the main game....or skip.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:32 pm

I'd mistime a long blink and under or overdo it!

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:08 am

I'm very early on in the game and want to know if there's any point in trying to shoot Jack at all in the corridors - or is it just a waste of ammo? You normally just shoot Resi enemies until they fall over and die (if only temporarily like Nemesis) but he just keeps popping up all over the place. Should i start again and just avoid him so i keep my bullets for later?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Avoid him where you can. He'll typically roam certain areas so he's easy to avoid for the most part.
It's worth noting that you can hobble enemies by shooting them in the legs too, so it's a good way of getting past them whilst conserving bullets.