Resident Evil VII

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Resident Evil VII

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:I also loved resi5, finished it numerous times too...AI partner was useless on the hardest setting and I didnt get out of the village at the start. Im still not totally sold on VR, the demos up on ps store dont really grab me at all... the after dawn one just looks like house of the dead and like i said previously I dont want to be standing up in goggles flailing my arms around like a blind wii user.
I had the opposite experience on the hardest difficulty on 5. Sure Sheva was a bit silly at times but I made it through the entire game with her, she even helped take down the tag team battle at the end of the game (which was by far the hardest part of the game on that difficulty). I must have gotten really lucky...

Anyway. Finally got round to trying the RE7 demo. Yep, riffs on PT mainly, a smidgen of Condemned (manikins) and Outlast in places and I'm really glad it does. It was a tad predictable with the jump scares (I'm genuinely annoyed I didn't see the last one coming, after expecting it all damn demo). I did see what I assume was a ghost or other kind of creature for a brief second in a flashback but it disappeared real fast (I assume that was real and not a trick of the lighting, I made that mistake once playing Gone Home).

So its creepy but fairly cliche at the same time. But I like that its gone down this road, I was so gutted at Silent Hills getting killed that Capcom taking the template and adding their own spin on things isn't actually the worst thing they could have done (and neither was a straight sequel to 6 for the record, I did really enjoy that game). It has potential and I'm glad its currently out at the end of January (don't have to wait really long which I'm ok with). Just hope they handle combat well, I'd rather be able to fight back than have to hide. Hopefully they clarify that soon.

Definitely one of the surprises for me of E3. I expected it to show up (its been rumored for ages) but I expected something far more in line with 4-6.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Only part the AI really failed me on pro difficulty was the Jill fight. Other than that I had no real problems. I wonder if this demo isn't part of the game but a precursor? Perhaps Jill and Chris are sent to investigate the events we've just witnessed

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:33 pm

I thought it was an hour gameplay, but its obviously the first hours events as it took roughly 20mins to glide through, which is good though as it leaves you wanting more. Did those mannequins move? i wasnt sure. I liked the door openings where you physically push the door, the sound was brilliantly creepy. Not sure how the shooting mechanics will work or melee but for what it was, i enjoyed it.

The hardest setting on resi5 was impossible for me, the fella with the big axe usually killed sheva or she wouldnt heal me, never got near killing him.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Only part the AI really failed me on pro difficulty was the Jill fight. Other than that I had no real problems. I wonder if this demo isn't part of the game but a precursor? Perhaps Jill and Chris are sent to investigate the events we've just witnessed
Capcom confirmed a different main character will be used for the full game, and this bit of the game apparently won't be in the main game either. Its just a little teaser demo to wet peoples appetites. Hopefully Chris won't be used again for a main character though, they've used him enough in the last few games, hopefully they use someone else if they must bring back an existing character, or even better just use someone new.
RetroAerosmith wrote:I thought it was an hour gameplay, but its obviously the first hours events as it took roughly 20mins to glide through, which is good though as it leaves you wanting more. Did those mannequins move? i wasnt sure. I liked the door openings where you physically push the door, the sound was brilliantly creepy. Not sure how the shooting mechanics will work or melee but for what it was, i enjoyed it.

The hardest setting on resi5 was impossible for me, the fella with the big axe usually killed sheva or she wouldnt heal me, never got near killing him.
There are multiple ways to finish the demo, and apparently there are further secrets people haven't found yet. I'm going to give it a few more tries to see some of the optional/alternate bits just for the heck of it/
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Well it looks very different... hard to tell from the video how it will play but intriguing nonetheless. And of course Silent Hill immediately comes to mind.

I like that they (seem to) have changed direction once again.. keeps things interesting. Nothing like a new Resident Evil!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:04 pm

From what ive seen

It dont look very Resi, basically nicking PTs ques, if they wanted to return to form they should of gone back to fixed camera angles

Or do what the first Silent hill did

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:08 am

^ Has it been confirmed RE7 proper will be first person? I'd actually be down with fixed camera and tank controls, a real return to roots.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:45 am

I'll imagine if this first person view isnt for most fans' likening or this game backfires in some way, Capcom's solution will be the RE2 Remake that's in development to please those fans......unless that's also going to be VR. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:04 am

Only just around to watching this, I love the Resi franchise but this trailer does little for me without any gameplay, it might as well just be a music video for some emo band. I guess it will be dark and creepy but I would expect that.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:01 pm

The demo version for the pc is now available on steam.
I have been a bit nervous about if the game will run on my pc, but it works just fine.
Damn this game is good. :D
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:42 am

Just posted in the XB1 thread before seeing this. Honestly not sure what to make of the demo, I know the series had almost become a parody of itself by RE6 but without Chris or Jill etc it feels odd.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:55 am

I love how great this is in VR, genuinely unsettling.
Really looking forward to the final game.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:59 am

Not too sure what to make of this thus far... it didn't look or feel like a resi game old or new to me but I do like horror games in general and I own all the other entries in the series (yes I liked 5 & 6) so I will be getting this... now... which format shall I buy it on...mmmmmm
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:55 pm

I've enjoyed the demo in vr, but its capcom, one of the laziest developers still around.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:51 am

I noticed resi 4 on psn for £7.99. Might have to indulge...

Eat your nans pants