UK Nes original owners

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

davyK

Re: UK Nes original owners

Post by davyK » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:04 am

JamesC wrote: Interestingly, the Atari 7800 was something I was totally unaware of. To me an Atari was still a dusty relic from the past, one step up from the Binatone TV game.
Only reason i was able to get hold of a 7800 pre-web era was because I saw it for sale in a shop window. Oddly enough it was a furniture shop that sold a small selection of TVs and VCRs. I saw it in the window as I passed by on the bus - I got off straight away and went into the shop and got one.... its version of Asteroids which is built into the console is still a brilliant game. I never found much else for it which is a shame.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:19 am

Spector wrote:
JamesC wrote: At my school the NES was certainly something that everyone was aware of and had played even if they didn't own one. Likewise, the SMS, which although less popular than the NES, was still fairly well supported. I remember both consoles being well liked too - there wasn't really much of a rivalry.
When was this though, just out of interest? I'm guessing 1991-odds, it couldn't have been much earlier than that?
I think 1989 was the year most people got one - could have been a year later. It was definitely pre-SMB3 by a good couple of years.

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:16 pm

davyK wrote:Got a NES in 92. I was aware of the SMS but I don't remember there being a lot of buzz about consoles. Chose the NES after playing SMB on a Playchoice 10 in a pub. i was a real Atari fanboy until I encountered the NES. I gave the 7800 a chance a few years later but there wasn't much available for it.

Knew one person who had an SMS but didn't know anyone who had a NES. It went down well with my mates though. Punch Out was a crowd pleaser.

I remember it getting good support in the Virgin Megastore (Belfast).

I can't remember where it was but we played on one of those playchoice machines whilst on holiday which probably influenced the decision to get one when we did, I remember we kept specifically going back to the arcade that had it as we loved Mario.

Was moving some games onto my retropie earlier and having a go on them, remember I frequently used to borrow that turtles games from a friend and quite liking it as it was the turtles, but it's got some terribly designed parts to it!
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi all, I specifically wanted to share this here so hope people don't mind. Off the back of this discussion we ended up doing a pod on the NES, I say on the NES, it's a bit of a hybrid bastard child if I am honest, it's an audio only lets play, I wanted to mention it in here though as the discussion we had is what gave me the idea to make my co-host play the nes. Mainly as he had one but hates retrogames and the fact that I am into that! :)

It's on iTunes all most other places that pull podcasts through, it's called - Invert Y gaming podcast

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/inv ... 98906?mt=2

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com/ent ... 8_20-07_00
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes