Cheaper to Buy it Now or Auction?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

n-g-m

Cheaper to Buy it Now or Auction?

Post by n-g-m » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi all,

Been keeping my eye on some Ebay auction bundles of a variety of stuff over the last months. I've bid on a few and ended up missing out by loads. I typically won't pay more than about 75% of a bundle's resale value as otherwise I don't see much point in buying a bundle - might as well search out what I want and just look for buy it nows.

So this is my point.

Example: I find an N64 Bundle that looks like the complete value is £100 is buying individually. I wouldn't want to bid much more than £75 for it. However, these types of bundles end up going for £125-150! The auctions seems to go for more than the actual individual resale of each item included. This happens a lot on cartridge based systems and, on occasions, Gamecube stuff too.

So back to the question - Is it cheaper to just source the lower end priced Buy It Now item rather than watch an auction bundle?

Thoughts?

Antiriad2097

Re: Cheaper to Buy it Now or Auction?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:42 pm

I think you've answered your own question.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:35 pm

I've always found it cheaper to Buy It Now. Auctions tend to go for silly money.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:01 pm

BIN, auction snipers have pretty much killed the chance of getting a bargain now. I also sell almost everything at a fixed price since people want it now, not wait 7 days and hope you win

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:14 pm

It depends what you're getting. For those comes-up-once-in-a-blue-moon items definitely BIN. However, if there are twenty auctions a week for what you want, just use an automated bidding tool like Jbidwatcher and the chances are that you'll snipe one for just over the minimum bid.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:10 am

Auctions are worth keeping an eye on but with all the bidders getting carried away, refusing to lose or sellers engaging in sneaky shill bidding, BIN's are usually more attractive (to me at least). Yeah, you might get an auction cheaper but I'd rather pay a bit extra than a theoretical end price and get the item quicker as well as without the aggro. I also don't have time to keep checking my auctions either so BIN's are even more convenient and fit around my time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

T Moleman

Post by T Moleman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:13 pm

I've had surprising luck with best offers, well below market value for some items.