Nintendo Gamecube will be 15 years old in September

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Are Gamecube games retro yet?

Yes - and they have been for a while
62%
Yes - at least they will be once they're 10 years old
21%
No - not for a while yet
13%
No - I'll never consider the Gamecube retro
5%

Total votes: 39

batman877

Nintendo Gamecube will be 15 years old in September

Post by batman877 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:32 am

On the 14th September 2016, the Nintendo Gamecube with be 15 years old.

Game production largely stopped in 2006, meaning the Cube has been dormant for about 10 years.

So the irritating question before you is this... has the Gamecube become retro?

I'm approaching 40 years old and retro for me will always be the 8-bit and 16-bit eras... but even I have to admit to liking the rule if it's 10 years old it's retro - although I know a lot of forum members don't want anything in Retro Gamer post 1999. As time continues to slip, aren't we due a re-think about what is retro? Coverage from the 1970s to 2006 sounds about right to me, with a heavy bias towards the 80s and 90s.

outdated_gamer

Re: Nintendo Gamecube will be 15 years old in September

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:53 am

Don't really care what is considered "retro", tbh. To me, "retro gaming" is just an excuse to be able to enjoy or appreciate games from any era and system and not having to follow the current industry trends. I play many old games that could pass for new if they gave them modern graphics and refined control (e.g. System Shock 2).

Anyway, the GC was a nice little box and the last Nintendo console I had, but I was not as impressed with it's games as much as I was with the NES, SNES and N64. The absence of Rare was felt, but so was also some "controversial" game design moves by Nintendo. Declining 3rd party support and absence of online play was also an issue although at the time I didn't care that much since I was more into PC gaming.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:14 am

Where a GameCube game is part of a long-running franchise/series, RG should cover it.

And it will be good to start preserving the history of that era before companies start trashing everything.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:25 am

Of course GameCube is retro to some people.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:27 am

Retro is a pretty undefinable term but I'd say yes. If you're 15 years old it certainly is!
I'd say any non-current platform counts as retro to be honest. If people were still playing Snes/Megadrive during the latter days of the PS1 they were certainly considered well out of date and retro when I was a student.

RG_Drew

Post by RG_Drew » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:29 am

I remember buying a GameCube in middle school and it certainly holds just as much rose-tinted nostalgia as when I had a Mega Drive when I was five.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:42 am

I remember how my friends and I would fawn over the latest previews of Metroid Prime and Wind Waker, during lunch breaks at secondary school. Of course it's retro.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:49 pm

If you can buy the games on physical media and play them without ever going online, it's retro.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Nope, the GC is barely old, never mind retro. N64 hasn't reached that status yet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:00 am

I remember firing up the purple box on Christmas day and playing Star Wars and Simpsons Hit and Run. I still play them today.

Excellent console. Not sure if it's retro, but not really bothered either.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:16 am

Its retro, and was sitting up in my loft for 8 years till I bought a Gameboy Player attachment recently, and since then its found its purpose!

As for Gamecube games itself, for me it has one of the weaker Nintendo libraries, but there are still some classics on there.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:25 am

Everyone's going to have their own opinions, but the magazine's got to draw a line somewhere and ten years seems reasonable enough to me.

And if Cube games don't seem retro to people I'd suggest that it's mostly because the best ones are very well designed and have aged gracefully. Play some of the bad ones though and I'm pretty sure you'll find that they feel old.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:30 am

Its staggering how people get worked up by the definition of "retro" and come up with all sorts of arbitrary number of years or generations. I guess it really matters to some people...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:Its staggering how people get worked up by the definition of "retro" and come up with all sorts of arbitrary number of years or generations. I guess it really matters to some people...
It's more the complete intolerance people can show at times. You see it in all sorts of threads both here and elsewhere. It's utterly odd why people get so aggressive about something that ultimately doesn't matter and can't be defined.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:04 am

Matt_B wrote:And if Cube games don't seem retro to people I'd suggest that it's mostly because the best ones are very well designed and have aged gracefully. Play some of the bad ones though and I'm pretty sure you'll find that they feel old.
Old is not retro.

It's fine that other people think that, or consider systems I don't to be retro, but Cube games are near identical to current games, just with a few less polygons imo. Play a bad current gen game, it may seem dated and old too. That won't make it retro either.

Does it really matter? Nope. But it's the topic at hand for discussion, so I've voiced my personal opinion.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.