Console Wars: the 16BIT Conflict !!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RockLobster

Console Wars: the 16BIT Conflict !!

Post by RockLobster » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:16 am

Do you remember the 16 bit era? A time in the gaming industry when we were all blessed by an abundance of quality game titles on a variety of consoles and home computers.

The classic battles between the ST and Amiga! The Megadrive and the SNES! Which do you think was best?

Personnally I think the AMIGA was top of the tree. Excellent graphics capabilities and superior quality sound due to the custom chipset gave the AMIGA the edge over the ST.

Games such as Turrican II, Flashback and R-Type were all excellent conversions from the Arcade.

Anyways what do you lot think? :lol:

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:34 am

Please tell me this is a wind up post.

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 am

hand_solo wrote:Please tell me this is a wind up post.
This is a retro game forum. Lobster is discussing retro systems. What's the problem?
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:49 am

I owned an Amiga 500 then an Amiga 1200, simply because I had them quite cheap. The Amiga's were fine machines, I loved how easy they were to program games for using programs such as AMOS.

The games on the Amiga's were also excellent, and I enjoyed many hours of gameplay on these machines. As for the Atari ST range, I never used one, so sadly can not comment on this.

As for the Megadrive V SNES. They were both great machines, which both had some excellent games. Graphically I think probably the SNES won that round, but it's games and not graphics that are important, and I still use my Megadrive today alot more than the SNES!

I still wish that I'd never sold my 464 though! lol

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Crunchy

Re:

Post by Crunchy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:21 am

Hungry Horace wrote:
This is a retro game forum. Lobster is discussing retro systems. What's the problem?
"The classic battles between the ST and Amiga! The Megadrive and the SNES! Which do you think was best? "

You don't think this is a bit, well, school playground then?
Not to mention extremely old hat.
If it's a wind up post then fair enough, we can all get into the spirit of it and start the name-calling and all the my-machine-was-better-than-yours malarkey.

ST PWNED AMIGA!!!!OMG""LOL!!!WTF!!"111!!!!!!!122¬!!!!

Bring it on.

mechamonkey

Re: Console Wars: the 16BIT Conflict !!

Post by mechamonkey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:29 am

RockLobster wrote:
Games such as Turrican II, Flashback and R-Type were all excellent conversions from the Arcade.
Arcade Flashback and Turrican ........... riiiiiight
Born from an egg on a mountain top

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:15 am

Crunchy wrote:
Hungry Horace wrote:
"The classic battles between the ST and Amiga! The Megadrive and the SNES! Which do you think was best? "

If it's a wind up post then fair enough, we can all get into the spirit of it and start the name-calling and all the my-machine-was-better-than-yours malarkey.

Bring it on.
STFU UR GAY AMIGA PWNZ ST ST NO MEMRY SUXX0R

JOO N00B ST G@YL0RD K1SS UR MUM!!1!1!11ONE!11!
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

White Demon

Post by White Demon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:29 am

The Amiga was clearly the better of the two computers mentioned. When programmed right it knocked the ST into a cocked hat.

That's not to say the ST was crap, it had it's moments, just nowhere near as many as the Amiga.

As for the consoles, yes the SNES was more powerful and had many cool games, but for my money I found the Megadrive to have the most fun games to play.

Crunchy

Re:

Post by Crunchy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 am

Hungry Horace wrote:
Crunchy wrote:
Hungry Horace wrote: This is a retro game forum. Lobster is discussing retro systems. What's the problem?

Bring it on.
STFU UR GAY AMIGA PWNZ ST ST NO MEMRY SUXX0R

JOO N00B ST G@YL0RD K1SS UR MUM!!1!1!11ONE!11!
:D

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 am

To be fair, they are both great machines that have their own strengths...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:11 am

I had a Megadrive but now obviously love the SNES due to its emulators and games out there in cyberspace.

Also had an Amiga which i really loved but on many platforms the ST emulator is available instead of an Amiga so i tend to play a ton of ST games.

Never got into the Megadrive / SNES battles but each system has some brilliant games

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:17 am

psj3809 wrote:I had a Megadrive but now obviously love the SNES due to its emulators and games out there in cyberspace.

Also had an Amiga which i really loved but on many platforms the ST emulator is available instead of an Amiga so i tend to play a ton of ST games.

Never got into the Megadrive / SNES battles but each system has some brilliant games

"It's a good try, but it's not right."

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:56 am

psj3809 wrote:I had a Megadrive but now obviously love the SNES due to its emulators and games out there in cyberspace.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:12 am

koopa42 wrote:

FACT.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:32 am

Don't sit on the fence or anything.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image