Choosing ports of old games - which system to go for?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

InsertFaveGameNameHere

Choosing ports of old games - which system to go for?

Post by InsertFaveGameNameHere » Sat May 19, 2007 3:17 pm

Hey folks,

One of the first things I did when I bought a megadrive at a car boot for £2 a couple of years ago (promising myself I'd only get multiplayer games for parties on it, and ending up spending loads getting all the things for it I couldn't afford 'back in the day') was to check out what Arcade ports were done on it, so I ended up getting Outrun, Ghouls N' Ghosts, Smash TV and so on. Then I got a Master System Convertor and got Operation Wolf.

I've looked at Bubble Bobble, Rastan Saga (which looks crap on the MS) and so on. However, I've now seen stuff like the Taito Legends has Rastan, Bubble Bobble and a few more (that I'd like) on the PS2, and on the PS1 a Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands comp was released.

So...my question is this: Which is best to get?

On one hand my loyalty to Sega makes me want to get the old arcade ports, on the other hand I'm getting a PS2 off me bro-in-law when he buys a PS3 so I'm thinking thats going to be set up more so maybe I should buy a few modern comps. The thing about them is it annoys me so many games companies, which let these 'retro' games languish for so long (although it ensured a healthy emulation scene which they're now trying to cash in on) now repackage them and sell them for crap loads - its the classic 'money for old rope'.

I could probably spend £20 on Taito Legends, or use the £20 to get Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Gollevius (not an Arcade port but an old favourite) and Wonderboy for the MS. Ok, probably wouldn't get all of them for just £20 but still, you see my point.

So - what tactic do you guys use for these sorts of dilemma's?

By the way, I do have a Speccy and C64, but they're not out enough to justify buying old ports for them, plus it was never 'truly' arcade - although the C64 Bubble Bobble is awesome! :)
For more stuff on Retro Games check out my blog at http://www.zombiesatemyxbox.com.

I also post on World of Spectrum, Lemon64, GamesTM (as ZX KNIGHT) and write for Games That Weren't! :)

merman

Post by merman » Sat May 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Well, I can heartily recommend Taito Legends (and if you look around you should be able to get it - pre-owned - for a lot less than £20). The ports are good and the control is excellent.

Mind you, I'm the sort of person who would still go out and buy multiple versions of the same game on different systems...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sat May 19, 2007 7:27 pm

Capcom Classics 1 is well worth the money also.
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sat May 19, 2007 8:47 pm

The games on Taito Legends are emulated arcade versions, so they should be "arcade perfect".

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun May 20, 2007 3:59 pm

My only problem with Taito Legends,and other compilations,is that I can't turn the screen 90 degrees for the vertical shooters like I can with Mame.
I must stress however,that I play my retro games on a 14'' LCD television and not a massive 40'' monster!

tssk

Post by tssk » Wed May 23, 2007 9:18 pm

If you aren't using a PC or X-Box for emulation I'd have to say the PS2 is the weapon of choice.

I'd go for both the Taito collections, both the Capcom Collections and the first two Midway/Williams collections. Through in some of the Sega ones and you'll be set for at least a year :)

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu May 24, 2007 6:28 am

tssk wrote:If you aren't using a PC or X-Box for emulation I'd have to say the PS2 is the weapon of choice.

I'd go for both the Taito collections, both the Capcom Collections and the first two Midway/Williams collections. Through in some of the Sega ones and you'll be set for at least a year :)
I would agree with that and probably add the Tecmo collection to that as well. Okay, a lot of people rubbished it but it did have Bombjack, Starforce and Solomons Key on it and I have seen it for as little as £4.99. The Taito and Midway collections can now be picked up for as little as £8.99 new although most places seem to sell them for about a tenner and the Capcom Collections seem to go for about £12.99. I have seen both the Midway and Taito collections in four for £20 offers on pre-owned titles in Gamestation. The third Midway collection is good if you enjoy driving games although the games on it are not everyones cup of tea (unless like me you really like Hydro Thunder :) ).

Oh and if you are into Megadrive games and have a PS2, there is the recent Sega collection and some time ago Action Replay included a function to play Megadrive games on your PS2 (but you obviously had to have dumps of the cartridges to do so and they only ran at about 85% speed.)
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu May 24, 2007 12:45 pm

Kaptain_Von wrote:Action Replay included a function to play Megadrive games on your PS2 (but you obviously had to have dumps of the cartridges to do so and they only ran at about 85% speed.)
I wouldn't go down that route though, as it's a crap emulator. Had loadsa problems trying to get many games to run properly! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you're thinking about getting the Action Replay with the megadrive emulator, forget it. It's just not worth it.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu May 24, 2007 2:58 pm

pottyboy wrote:
Kaptain_Von wrote:Action Replay included a function to play Megadrive games on your PS2 (but you obviously had to have dumps of the cartridges to do so and they only ran at about 85% speed.)
I wouldn't go down that route though, as it's a crap emulator. Had loadsa problems trying to get many games to run properly! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you're thinking about getting the Action Replay with the megadrive emulator, forget it. It's just not worth it.
And oh so nice of them to use the freeware emulator to so...