Question regarding scart leads for consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Question regarding scart leads for consoles

Post by Mantas » Thu May 17, 2007 4:36 pm

Quick one really. Is it worth getting a scart lead for the Dreamcast, Megadrive etc? I got on for the C64 and I can't really see that much improvement.

On a slightly different note, does anyone recommend getting these (I have a HDTV)...

The PS2 component cable like this...
http://www.xploder.net/products/148/Xpl ... Player.htm

The Wii component cable

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Thu May 17, 2007 4:43 pm

SCART can improve the picture quality no end, however I must say I haven't actually compared the difference with any of the consoles you mentioned. It could be the case that on modern TV sets there's little to no difference between composite and Scart? Perhaps someone who has tested will be able to give you a difinitive answer.

I do know that the Dreamcast had a VGA option, and that definitely will look better on the right screen.
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

deano7649

Post by deano7649 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:59 am

If you want to enjoy gaming at it's best on your Dreamcast then I highly recommend you get a SCART lead for it, the picture quality is loads better !

The SCART lead you have for your C64 will only provide a composite output although it should give a more clearer picture than using the old RF lead. I have one and the picture is loads clearer than when using the blurry old RF lead.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri May 18, 2007 3:11 am

For the megadrive and Master System (SMS1 only), definately. A full RGB SCART lead was a revelation on my TV.
It could be the case that on modern TV sets there's little to no difference between composite and Scart?
Don't confuse things here, we have 4 inputs under discussion.

RF aka "aerial cable" - censored. You'll get running lines up the side of objects, it'll all be fuzzy and you'll wish for death.

Composite - Yellow cable - Better, but the colours are run together and it'll still be fuzzy.

SCART - Same as above in a SCART plug

Full RGB SCART - The colours are kept separate, no interference, sex in interface form.

The MD and SMS1 support the full thing, in fact the SMS1 and SMD1 even use the same lead. The words you're looking for are "RGB" or "Fully wired"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

deano7649

Post by deano7649 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:17 am

The MD and SMS1 support the full thing, in fact the SMS1 and SMD1 even use the same lead. The words you're looking for are "RGB" or "Fully wired
I didn't know that, marvellous !

I have just got a Master System 1 and have a Megadrive 1 kicking around.

Off to get a RGB lead for them now :)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri May 18, 2007 6:51 am

The Scart for the C64 should provide S-video output, but I can't tell much difference in it from composite. It should be way better than RF, I can't believe how well it looked in comparison when I got my cable 5-6 years ago after using RF for 15 years or so.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri May 18, 2007 7:13 am

deano7649 wrote:
The MD and SMS1 support the full thing, in fact the SMS1 and SMD1 even use the same lead. The words you're looking for are "RGB" or "Fully wired
I didn't know that, marvellous !

I have just got a Master System 1 and have a Megadrive 1 kicking around.

Off to get a RGB lead for them now :)
I don't see any on there right now but I got mine from a guy who makes them on ebay. They're stunning.

It's important to make sure it's fully wired and also remember that the MD1 will only output mono via scart so a really good lead (not mine) plugs into the headphone socket too.

In my case we run a seperate amp anyway so I just run a phono.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 am

I got the Xploder for the PS2, ITS CRAP! It really is bad, if you attempt 720p it puts the output into a small window, if you want tthe window to fill the screen you expand it, exapandin pixles etc. so it is the same as outputting normal 480i. It really is crap. ITS CRAP. dont get it.

bolda

Post by bolda » Fri May 18, 2007 11:03 am

As Duds mentioned, SCART leads also offer superior sound as most will output stereo if the host system supports it. The shielding in SCART leads is generally a lot better so the picture suffers less from electro-magnetic interference. I used to run my ST off the standard RF output and the picture would distort a bit when the disk drive was accessed... no problems now I'm running it off a SCART lead.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Tue May 22, 2007 12:06 pm

In answer to my own questions I have found the following.

The PS2 HD cable from Game (£8) works well. Jumping between composite and HD on God of War, I could see that the colours were a bit livelier and the images were a bit clearer. I did change the settings on the PS2 browser to component.

Got my DC scart this morning and there is a huge improvement in the picture quality from RF. Firstly, there are no interference lines or feint wavey lines. The images are definitley sharper too. My ears aren't sensitive enough to tell the difference in sound quality.

I'm now just waiting for the Wii's component cable to arrive.

I hope this info proves useful for future reference.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue May 22, 2007 2:46 pm

Mantas wrote:Got my DC scart this morning and there is a huge improvement in the picture quality from RF.
Forget SCART, VGA is the only way for Dreamcast! :lol:

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue May 22, 2007 7:50 pm

I've used av, scart and component leads with my Wii. The av one came with it and none of the other cables were available at the time. I then got hold of the component video lead. The picture improvement was massive. Unfortunately though my tv doesn't support interlacing so I couldn't use it with certain vc games (Link to the Past, etc.). :( I've since got hold of an RGB scart lead which is only slightly lower quality visually but works with all games.

The moral of this story is: if you have a Wii and a tv with component video input then check that it supports interlacing. If it does then you're sorted. Get the component lead for the best picture. :)

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:54 am

I upgraded to a SCART cable almost straight away for my Dreamcast, and it made a HUGE difference. As for my PS2, I connect that via Componant cables (The blue, Green and red cables plus the stereo red & white for sound) and I get EDTV (Extended Definition TV) 720x576 or more with Progressive scan (when available), and this looks totally awesome on my 32" LCD screen.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu May 24, 2007 4:48 am

stvd wrote:
Mantas wrote: Forget SCART, VGA is the only way for Dreamcast! :lol:
I've got some cables to make up SCART leads for the DC. I'm making some RF/SCART/Composit leads so I can keep the one cable for plugging my DC into newer and older TV's (older TV's don't have Composit or SCART).

I was thinking about having a go at making the VGA adapter as well. Has anybody done this, how easy/difficult is it?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:39 am

Just buy a VGA box for your DC. If you get a decent one, it'll also have composite and/or SVHS outputs so you can switch between monitor or TV.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.