XBox 360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

English Invader

Re: XBox 360

Post by English Invader » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:16 am

Done. Slim model with 250GB hard drive from music magpie/estocks (they came through for me with a PS2 earlier this year so I'm giving them a chance on this one).

I took a look on XBLA and I was surprised at how well supported the 360 is now (you can even buy new consoles and accessories directly from MS). The 360 seems to be the console version of the Apple II.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:40 am

Dont forget to order a scart/vga lead if your using a crt non hd tv as it wont come with one if I remember rightly.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:06 am

I'm really interested to know - what happened? Did you just miss out on last gen consoles or did you have a PS3?

The XB360 is one of the best supported consoles ever IMO. The range of games available is just mind blowing and the number of top, top games is very impressive.

If you're into military strategy at all, checkout full Spectrum Warrior (1 more than 2).
Viva piñata is a dream to play and you can sit there wasting entire lazy afternoons away.
Bioshock 1 was awesome.
Some already mentioned the mass effect trilogy and Fallout 3 - true Giants they were. (Go fallout 3 over Vegas IMO). With mass effect be aware that your save carries over from one game to the next so consider your choices!
I'd recommend Assassins Creeed 1 if you fancy a jaunt in a historically authentic looking Middle East (gameplay isn't perfect but the world is incredible to explore).
Checkout Nier for a lesser known open world adventure.
Conan was pretty good.
Checkout the Banjo Kazooie games in XBLA if you like a retro cartoon adventure (nuts n bolts was good but not as good)

One word of general advice - for me, don't worry about kinect. It was a nice idea with one or two good moments but not worth the hassle IMO.

Enjoy. As someone said - well jell for what you're about to experience!
:)

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:37 am

Gigifusc wrote:I'm really interested to know - what happened? Did you just miss out on last gen consoles or did you have a PS3?
I wish. Don't have the disposable income for current gen consoles and the 360 has just about hit a price point I can afford.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:09 am

English Invader wrote:I took a look on XBLA and I was surprised at how well supported the 360 is now (you can even buy new consoles and accessories directly from MS). The 360 seems to be the console version of the Apple II.

They have recently stopped production, but by any measure it's had an incredible run. A few others I'd recommend, all of which are dirt cheap through places like CEX or Amazon

Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Alan Wake
Forza 4
Fable 2
Singularity
Bulletstorm
FEAR and FEAR Files
Saints Row 2
Dead Rising (I really didn't like it but accept I'm in the minority)

Really would get a HD TV though, it's what they're designed for and are very cheap these days

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:05 am

Another thing to note is you'll need an Xbox Live Gold Sub to play online multiplayer (Though you can still access the store and buy download games without a sub) but you'll also get 2 free 360 games to download every month (Plus you can add 2 XBONE games to your account also so if you ever buy an XBONE someday, you'll already have a small library to play through.)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:30 pm

English Invader wrote:
Gigifusc wrote:I'm really interested to know - what happened? Did you just miss out on last gen consoles or did you have a PS3?
I wish. Don't have the disposable income for current gen consoles and the 360 has just about hit a price point I can afford.
Well, you're about to have a great time now! Enjoy. :)

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Don't know if anyone has said it, but I highly recommend red dead redemption if your into them style of games.

Also all fallout games and all elder scrolls games

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Mayhem wrote:Don't forget about XBLA, there are a ton of great games available to download only that shouldn't be ignored: Braid, Castle Crashers, Pac-Man DX, Walking Dead, Super Meat Boy, Shadow Complex, Costume Quest, Stacking, Portal: Still Alive (if you've never played it and don't want The Orange Box), Torchlight, Limbo, Geometry Wars. I would say Outrun Online but it's gone now.
Just discovered that they've got Radiant Silvergun on there:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 0258410a54

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 pm

Part of my 360 collection. :D
There are 2 more shelves of big box limited editions.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:41 am

Please store your copy of RE6 the right way up, it's triggering my OCD :wink:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:04 am

Is that any worse than FEAR and FEAR 2 not being next to each other? :D

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:34 am

I'm so envious. Now is the time to own a 360 or PS3. So many great games so cheap.

I favoured PS3 over 360 so I have a massive amount of games on PS3 whereas on 360 it is mainly special editions and games which didn't come out on PS3.

I think subconsciously I favoured the PS3 due to blu ray discs being less susceptible to scratches. A definite concern when buying second hand.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:21 am

My first game just arrived in the mail. Alien Isolation: Nostromo Edition. I actually got a cheap Steam key for this game on the Humble Bundle site but it'll be years before I have a PC capable of running it so delighted to get the chance to play this game.

Also have GTA IV, V, Sega Rally and Blur on the way.

With regards to display, my plan is to use composite on the CRT in the short term but when my VGA cable arrives I plan to set up the 360 on my desk in tandem with my PC. My monitor is a no frills Dell TFT that doesn't even have a stereo jack but I can get round that by using a female to female connector that will allow me to connect the sound plug to a pair of USB speakers.

In the long term, I plan to get an HDMI ready TV/monitor to replace the Dell and I'm about to start another thread on that subject.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Please store your copy of RE6 the right way up, it's triggering my OCD :wink:
:lol: sorted.

The full 360 selection.
Last edited by gman72 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD