Can I play Elite now?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Sun May 20, 2007 8:16 pm

So should I play the Tube version (BBC) via emulation (6502 as 2nd proc) or C64 version of Elite on an actual C64 machine (non-emu)?

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon May 21, 2007 6:48 am

I'd go for Elite on the Amstrad CPC, Spectrum or BBC. All version are similar and play very well.

Alternatively, if you want a more modern (but still very retro) experience, dive straight into Frontier: Elite II on the Amiga!

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon May 21, 2007 7:15 am

batman877 wrote:I'd go for Elite on the Amstrad CPC, Spectrum or BBC. All version are similar and play very well.

Alternatively, if you want a more modern (but still very retro) experience, dive straight into Frontier: Elite II on the Amiga!
Elite is one of those *special* games where the version you grew up with is usually your favourite.

Love the CPC version, the Amstrad was always quite nippy at rendering polygons. Also, it plays the music continuously, although I imagine most people would switch it off. The major downside is that the CPC version doesn't have all the missions, but does have a special unique mission that involves evacuating a planet before a sun goes super-nova or some nonsense. Oh and the CPC version made the best noise when you shot another ship, it was a simple smack noise that, to me, was special - I could actually feel the paint being burnt off the enemy vessel. I miss that on other versions.

Never managed to get the C64 tape version I had loaded :-(

Hated the Amiga version (of the first one). It looked good, but felt very routine and predictable. You hyper-space to a planet and the exact same pirates always attack you from exactly the same place behind you.

Author Ian Bell recommends the NES version. Not tried this extensively.

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Mon May 21, 2007 9:11 am

RocketRanger wrote: Author Ian Bell recommends the NES version. Not tried this extensively.
Braben also suggests the NES version but the ROM image I have looks all garbled on my GP2X's NES emulator. Dunno..

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 am

Elite on NES looks garbled in most NES emulators.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon May 21, 2007 9:37 am

blakespot wrote:
RocketRanger wrote: Author Ian Bell recommends the NES version. Not tried this extensively.
Braben also suggests the NES version but the ROM image I have looks all garbled on my GP2X's NES emulator. Dunno..
blakespot
Itll be the emulator. I have the NES version and it plays a real treat. I can understand why Braben says its his favourite because theres just so much you can do with a pad. Amazing how they fit it all in.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon May 21, 2007 9:59 am

blakespot wrote:

blakespot
The GP2X actually runs the amiga version rather well on UAE. If you don't mind being attacked by the same two pirates, every single time you drop out of hyperspace. tip: They will be behind you. (You'll need to be nifty with the virtual keyboard too)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon May 21, 2007 4:41 pm

Ive just put the Elite disc into my BBC Master. Did a shift break to load it and I get the message "This program is only suitable for a BBC Microcomputer"

Colour me confused but I thought it would work straight out the box :(
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Madge

Post by Madge » Mon May 21, 2007 6:39 pm

The emulator Nestopia runs NES Elite very well. I've just had a quick go and discovered you start with a docking computer! Very handy...
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon May 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Docking Computers are for Sissies!

If you can't dock safely without the computer then you shouldn't have passed your space-pilot exam :wink:

Madge

Post by Madge » Mon May 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Yeah, like you've never pranged it.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon May 21, 2007 7:03 pm

Madge wrote:Yeah, like you've never pranged it.
No way, I got those dents from a uh.....Space Pirate...two of them in fact...came from behind me they did.

Madge

Post by Madge » Mon May 21, 2007 8:38 pm

Another discovery - the NES Elite docking computer costs money to use! So you still have an incentive to learn how to dock manually.

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Mon May 21, 2007 11:56 pm

What settings do you use on Nestopia?

I've just tried to run Elite and the bottom of the screen is garbled. Also the intro text which scrolls upwards Star Wars style is also garbled until it reaches halfway across the screen.

Is there any getting around that?

I did want to try the acron version but I couldn't find a decent Acorn emulator.

Madge

Post by Madge » Tue May 22, 2007 6:10 am

Hmm, I don't remember having to change any settings at all really. I'm using Nestopia v 1.32 and my graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X300.
The rom I'm using is the one hosted on Ian Bell's Elite pages, and I have the same problems as you describe when I try to use it on my GP2X.