Can I play Elite now?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Thu May 17, 2007 11:24 am

Lorfarius wrote:Just downloaded a fan remake Oolite to play in work (hey im in IT support and Im bored :P ). WHAT a game! Just spent 2 hours flying between systems and I cant get enough. Im itching to get my hands on a BBC version now.
Should I be playing Oolite on my Macs, instead?

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

nathey

Post by nathey » Thu May 17, 2007 1:34 pm

My fave version Of Elite was infact on the BBC, followed by the C64 version, awesome game that offered hours of fun. I really cant stand Frontier though, It was too advanced for its time. Lagged even on my Amiga 1200 with upgrades.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu May 17, 2007 4:43 pm

I've mainly played the Electron, C64 and Amiga versions. I liked the Amiga version the best (I really like the version of the music on the Amiga, too), and became Elite on it.

I didn't like the C64 version very much. For a full-on retro feeling, you can't beat the BBC version though.

As others have said, the Arc. version is said to be the best, but I haven't played it.

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Thu May 17, 2007 4:50 pm

The best version I ever played was on the Archimedes, without doubt. If it wasn't for emulation, I'd suggest buying an Archimedes solely for playing it! The second best was on the BBC Master, and the third best was the original Beeb version. The fouth best was Elite on the PC.

I've played at lot of Elite! :D But I've never played the Spectrum nor C64 versions. But if you really want the best Elite experience, I'd definetely go for the Archimedes version.
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Thu May 17, 2007 9:01 pm

Ok, like I said, I have an Acorn Archimedes A5000. I can only use the VGA out tho - no 15kHz. Will it work?

Can I somehow go Archie disk image to floppy on a PC and get it to the Archimedes? How would I do that? Tnx.

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri May 18, 2007 6:36 am

Gameswise is there any point in buying an Archimedes? Bare in mind I already have a BBC Master?
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

bolda

Post by bolda » Fri May 18, 2007 11:16 am

ST version is superb, nice smooth graphics and very playable. I tried the NES version at Game On exhibition and really struggled with it (could have done with the instruction manual!)

I tried an early version of Oolite but just couldn't get into it... maybe I need to download the latest release and give it another go.

I'd certainly recommend playing Elite before trying Frontier as it might put you off. They're both great games but like someone already mentioned, Frontier was a little too ambitious for it's time, but it's a crime that it hasn't been updated for modern systems so we're left with inferior substitutes like X2, X3 (plus the highly respectable Freelancer)
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Gameswise is there any point in buying an Archimedes? Bare in mind I already have a BBC Master?
Well, there were a lot of great exclusives on the Archie (just check out any Archie emulation site to see what I mean!), but it all depends on how much you can get one for :)
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 18, 2007 4:42 pm

blakespot wrote:Ok, like I said, I have an Acorn Archimedes A5000. I can only use the VGA out tho - no 15kHz. Will it work?

Can I somehow go Archie disk image to floppy on a PC and get it to the Archimedes? How would I do that? Tnx.

blakespot
Yup, so long as you have a 3.5" floppy for your PC - I haven't seen one for years...

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri May 18, 2007 5:04 pm

Mozart wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:Gameswise is there any point in buying an Archimedes? Bare in mind I already have a BBC Master?
Well, there were a lot of great exclusives on the Archie (just check out any Archie emulation site to see what I mean!), but it all depends on how much you can get one for :)
I dont know anything about them. Are they expensive?

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 18, 2007 5:25 pm

Lorfarius wrote:
Mozart wrote:
I dont know anything about them. Are they expensive?
I'm not sure. There's bound to be people out there looking to rip you off, so I'd be wary if anyone is charging more than say £5 per game, largely because although there are some great games on the Archie, I couldn't look you in the eye and say that you absolutely had to play any of them before you die.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 pm

I'm not sure. There's bound to be people out there looking to rip you off, so I'd be wary if anyone is charging more than say £5 per game, largely because although there are some great games on the Archie, I couldn't look you in the eye and say that you absolutely had to play any of them before you die.
What about the systems? Are they dear?

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Well, Magnum, I know what you're thinking - and you're right! :D

In all honesty, Archies should be fairly cheap to pick up. If you have a choice go for an A5000.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Fri May 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Lorfarius wrote:What about the systems? Are they dear?
Depends which system you're after. The A5000's are much sought after because they are the most expandable. I've recently bought a BNIB A3010 for £25 plus P&P. :)

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri May 18, 2007 7:43 pm

The CPC disk version of Elite was very good too, probably better than the C64 and Spectrum ones. The tape version suffered from a nasty bug though, so don't play that.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.